Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scan Size Calculation Problem

Thank Karl.

Until you said you'd done it I didn't realise it could be done - it couldn't in my version of Acrobat but I found out that if I upgraded to Acrobat X then it could be tiled.

Now done.

Dont keep us in suspenders buddy ...

Let us know what the actual angle was when you find out ..... I wont sleep tonight otherwise

Karl

Isn't it nice when we all work together

I have an A3 colour printer at the office Al. If you want I can print a few copies out... might even be able to find something fire resistant

As Karl says though, the chance of setting fire to anything once you're scanning is pretty remote.

As for 'Saturday afternoon internet time', it's more a case of every time i'm passing my computer I take a quick sneeky peek, just long enough so that I can 'catch up' without being accused of wasting time

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

OK sanity check.

What are you guys running in Beyond?

I've found that 8 degrees = 12 on X axis and 12 on Y axis in the Scan size settings under "Settings".

This seems ridiculously small but appears to match the chart from 30 cm.

Yes please on the printing Jem. My art skills are sadly lacking even when it comes to sticking things together!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Beyond settings are based on the standard 0 to 5v signal for a standard set of scanners ..... but each set of scanners are tuned slightly differently .... so i think that your Gain setting on the glavo amps will be set a bit lower .... which will give you the reduced angle .......
    at the end of the day what you are seeing on the test sheet is what you are actually getting ... the software setting will be a rough guess .... you could if you wanted ... re-tune the scanners so they give 12 degs when beyond is set to 12 degs .... but its really not worth it

Karl

For information the chart has always been available on my download page - 2 clicks from my home page will get you the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post

What are you guys running in Beyond?

I've found that 8 degrees = 12 on X axis and 12 on Y axis in the Scan size settings under "Settings".
    Always bear in mind that the value you are refering to cannot be compared to other projectors hence why no software can ever have an X & Y scale calibrated in degrees. It depends on the physical capabilities of the scanners and their driver settings to be able to convert a given voltage from the DAC to an angular movement of the scanner motor.
    If using the software correctly you should not be adjusting the scan scale in the projector settings - I ALWAYS run this value at 100%.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    If using the software correctly you should not be adjusting the scan scale in the projector settings - I ALWAYS run this value at 100%.
    Rob
    OK now I'm really confused.

By default Beyond has the sizes set to X=50 y=50. When I use your chart this equates to around 15 degrees yet the Kvant web site quotes for LM's:

Scanning angle: 80° for both axes Scanrate: min.30kpps* *Measured at 7° scanning angle and Pangolin test frame Laser media with 5% /±0.5%/ shape distortion. Mirror size designed for 5mm laser apertures.
    So shouldn't I have set 7 or 8 degrees for 30k scanning?

So shouldn't I have set 7 or 8 degrees for 30k scanning?
    Your beam shows will look crap if you do...

Use the specific projection zones to set the size, depending on what you are doing (graphics, beams, overhead effects, etc)
    Hint: you don't project the ILDA test pattern in 'most' gig situations

I can honestly say I've never once done any calculations for scan angle. I just know that from experience, roughly how wide I can scan certain effects. e.g. tighter for graphics, very wide for beams. The only adjustments I've ever made to my scanners has been to have the gain equal on my matched pair of projectors.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

You should scan at a size that is appropriate for the venue you are using. If I went into a club and scanned at 8 degrees I would not be able to do anything much that would impress.
    Important: Understand this. The angle of 8 degrees (or 7 or what ever) is to allow 2 projectors similarly tuned to display a given graphic and allow it to display identically. Some jobs will require small angles like this but most occasions you will scan *much* wider.

I will be surprised if the scanners will reach 80 Degrees in reality - DTs (not the wides) will do about 50 (60 at a push) degrees but the scan will fall of f the Y mirror before it reaches these values.

As for the 100% setting in the projector settings - this is the setting that determines the Max overall size the scanners will ever be able to use and this applies to all projection zones. Learn how to use zones and you will understand why I use this value set so high.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk