Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Correct me if I'm wrong...

If i were to file for a variance in NY, would i have to take the test and register the projector first?

Lightbulb

Heya DS -

Quote Originally Posted by DSOTM1973 View Post
    If i were to file for a variance in NY, would i have to take the test and register the projector first?
    a) It's not a 'variance', in NY.. It's a Registration (...for either a Projector *or* an 'installation' (which can be permanent (ie: Club..) or 'mobile' (ie: one-nite show, concert, etc..) and, to get one, you need to already have a Variance from the CDRH.. Don't believe they would give you a Registration w/O an FDA Variance*, and that 'inherently' would take care of any specific-considerations about *a* particular Projector.. (..since NYS will assume, if you've gotten a Variance approval, from the FDA, that must-mean you are only using certified / safe Pj's, etc..) Make sense?

*PS to the comment, above: Perhaps they might, say, if you were only Registering *a* Laser, ie: a SP 171 Argon.. say you just wanted to 'turn it on and enjoy the speckle', or, were starting a marking-biz, etc - nothing 'mobile', etc.. - Then, perhaps, they would allow a NYS Reg. w/O an FDA Variance.. But, in such a case, I think they'd still require you to 'qualify' for the Op. License (..they don't give the Lic.s to just-anyone that 'could pass the Test' - they require seeing at least 1 yr of Experience, *and* a 'recognized' (ie: Rockwell, or ILDA, etc..) Laser Safety training-course, so...) before just accepting the Reg., w/o an FDA-Var, for 'just a laser'...

..Then again, I'm not NYS DOSH's spokesmodel, so.. take all the above with the standard 'your mileage may vary' disclaimer.. ..But, as a Class B Licensed Op since '95 myself, I think this is pretty-well the straight-411..

b) Regarding getting a NYS Op License (..for-which you have to take "the Test"..), again, they'd presume you either had your Own FDA Var / were Op'ing under it, OR, were op'ing under someone elses (ie: a Lab / University / Sho Co, etc..) and you were simply going to be - literally - the 'mobile Operator'.. Hope this makes sense..

..If not, feel free to PM / gimme a call sometime (..or, Sir John L, VJAIWAZ, here..) and we can add clarity, etc..

cheers..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-16-2014 at 08:21. Reason: ps
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...