Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: STAND AND DELIVER!!! 2 Watts of Red….Out of the Optics Bed!!!

CDBEAM Wrote:
    Steve-O...What collimation lens did you you use with your HL6388MG set up to get 1.09 divergence ???
    Melles Griot 06GLC002/D. Found them in a buy/sell/trade here at PL a few years ago.
    Slightly pricey if not discovered by accident ..
    The beam is rather large at the aperature tho - 5 x 8 mm

http://www.cvimellesgriot.com/Produc...de-Lasers.aspx
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-02-2011 at 15:28. Reason: added link

I guess I just assumed you were doing beam shows only....

Yikes Steve...5mm x 8mm !!! Can you experiment with other Collimation lenses ??? like a 405 G-2 ??
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Yikes Steve...5mm x 8mm !!! Can you experiment with other Collimation lenses ??? like a 405 G-2 ??
    Yes, I probably could, but as we all know beam size at aperture is usually inverse proportion to divergence , so I'll probably stick with this until I find something better. I have the 405G2 lenses on a dual 445 I built and they work well, but I thought they were AR coated for 405-(445) and would not transmit well for longer wavelengths. Or is this incorrect?
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-03-2011 at 06:08.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Yes, I probably could, but as we all know beam size at aperture is usually inverse proportion to divergence , so I'll probably stick with this until I find something better. I have the 405G2 lenses on a dual 445 I built and they work well, but I thought they were AR coated for 405-(445) and would not transmit well for longer wavelengths. Or is this incorrect?
    Here's a cutout out of another thread where I did some testing.

"I did some measurements with different collis with some amazing results with blue AR coated lenses giving better results than some red AR coated. I got best results with the 405-G-2 with less than 5% loss and with the mccarrot blue with <1% loss? Yeah… I’m still scratching my head on that one, but I double checked it and it’s so. I didn’t do a graph for the Axis red since these showed losses of > 20%.

Taking into account price, beam size/profile (<2mm @ aperture) and power loss I may end up using the 405-G-2 lens in some red setups."

Good info, thanks SF. What diode were you testing with?

Good info, thanks SF. What diode were you testing with?
    That was with the LPC815 and 826..

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    That was with the LPC815 and 826..
    Umm .. aren't those the 660s that are fairly easy to tame with just about any basic pointer lens, or am I getting this confused with some other diodes?

Umm .. aren't those the 660s that are fairly easy to tame with just about any basic pointer lens, or am I getting this confused with some other diodes?
    Yes but the point in discussion was the low power loss red diode/blue coated lens
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Yes, good info. Glad to see the transmission thru the blue AR coating is also good for red. The reason I asked which diodes Solarfire was testing with was in the previous post prior to my question he wrote:
    Taking into account price, beam size/profile (<2mm @ aperture) and power loss I may end up using the 405-G-2 lens in some red setups."