Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: STAND AND DELIVER!!! 2 Watts of Red….Out of the Optics Bed!!!

Default STAND AND DELIVER!!! 2 Watts of Red….Out of the Optics Bed!!!

Since the ML520G71 thread has grown rather large... and now seems to be encompassing different LD options…I thought I would refocus with this thread. I believe that several members are in search of the 635nm to 640nm line... with an output of 500mW to 3Watts. This is just a SWAG. My personal goal is about 2 Watts of red...prior to propagation into the scanner head. I do NOT care if the beam comes out of Beelzebub’s Butt !! I WANT two (2) Watts of RED !!

Currently… in the running are: ML520G71, ML501P73 or the Opnext HL6388MG.

With the new lower price of the HL6388MG…and the emitter size being 20uM…perhaps a multi-diode…six (6) LD design would be optimal using the Opnext HL6388MG. Because there would be three (3) beams stacked after the knife edges….To beam correct I would lean toward the use of Anamorphic Prisms. A set of A-prisms after each group of three (3) LD’s . The LD’s would require a slight overdrive…rated at 250mW…driven to 300mW each. Therefore…300mW x 6 = 1800mW (Thanx Steve )

The other option might be a Quad of ML501P73. These diodes could be driven within spec…or 500mW x 4 = 2000mW.

See both concept drawings. As of this time…I am guessing that there will be acceptable beam correction optic solutions available. I just throw this out there because these seem to be the most promising directions….at least for multi-diode designs.

BEAM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ML501P73 Quad V 3 KE First.JPG  

HL6388MG Six Shooter V 1.JPG  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 11-02-2011 at 07:18. Reason: Thanx
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Just curious why your using a waveplate rather than just turning 1/2 the diodes 90 degrees?

Probably because the beams come out of the diodes like this || and turned they'd be like this __ __ ? Just a guess..

if you rotate one set of diodes you end result will look like a cross +

use a waveplate and your end result will be - so you get a better beam
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yes, To eliminate the need for a waveplate…one would need to rotate ½ of the set up ( 3 LD’S ) 90 degree…not just the LD’s…but the knife edge and A-Prism beam correction optics also…the whole set up…then the rotated pair would enter the PBS like = and combine with the other pair to deliver something like this # This is what Swamidog does with his 445 Dual. My thinking is that a higher energy density is produced by adding ll + ll to produce a ll geometry, and that would deliver superior apparent luminosity… but…perhaps a # would produce a better result ?? Until I experiment or see the results of others….I do not really know !! I suppose I take my lead from the Kvant Multi-diode design. Comments ???

Beam
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 11-02-2011 at 06:21.
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I have been following the ML520G71 thread closely as I want to build a 2W red in the near future too!

The ML501P73 looks interesting. The price doesn't seem too bad either. Has anyone found a set of optics that work well with it? I did a quick search but didn't see anything conclusive.

Mike

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

in my build, the "+" blended better with the size and shape of the red and green lasers i was combining with. i would recommend a "#" instead of a "=" or a "||" so all axis of your projected spot have the same divergence.

dual 445 spot at 40':
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual-445-ap-08.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	28438

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Yes, To eliminate the need for a waveplate…one would need to rotate ½ of the set up ( 3 LD’S ) 90 degree…not just the LD’s…but the knife edge and A-Prism beam correction optics also…the whole set up…then the rotated pair would enter the PBS like = and combine with the other pair to deliver something like this # This is what Swamidog does with his 445 Dual. My thinking is that a higher energy density is produced by adding ll + ll to produce a ll geometry, and that would deliver superior apparent luminosity… but…perhaps a # would produce a better result ?? Until I experiment or see the results of others….I do not really know !! I suppose I take my lead from the Kvant Multi-diode design. Comments ???

Beam
    Last edited by swamidog; 11-02-2011 at 09:57.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

You could use our tripple block for this setup, this block allready got a area for the prismpair
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tripplecol.png  

Red small 2.jpg  

BlowFly...School is still out on what tames the ML series...Currently....I would like to see the combination of the Lasershowpart adjustable LD mount , with a short FL Collimation lens coupled to Cylinderical lens set with an eight (8) magnifacation.

Steve-O...What collimation lens did you you use with your HL6388MG set up to get 1.09 divergence ??? I know you only use one (1) prism.....that does leave the propagation path at an odd angle....but does reduce transmission losses some.

Andy_con...Kvant uses only telescope optics...right ?? To compress an array of beams down to one bundled beam...Would telescope optics be a superior solution vs Anamorphic prisms ????? What does Kvant use to beam correct astigmatic/elipitical LD output of the 445 or the 640 LD's ???

Swamidog... I truly desire a pattern of symetry at the target plane !!! and the + shape delivers that...one can see that in your pic....but...at the end of the day....which arrangment actually looks better....for beam shows or graphics ???? I think it is Density vs. a fuller/rounder beam shape. I remain undecided as to what gives the best look !!

Has anyone else experimented with the HL6388MG or with the Swamidog + layout ??

Thanx all for your comments. We ALL stand on each others shoulders in advancing the art and science !!!

BEAM
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 11-02-2011 at 12:31.