Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing of Galvo

Quote Originally Posted by kamakajee View Post
    Hello to All the Helpful Members!
    Touching base on my above post.. I changed the power supply & the 'deemed' dead galvo started working ... thus thinking & under impression that the fuse has blown off I changed the fuse but never the less the galvo does not work.... any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
    I should take some snaps & post them.. hope that will help in suggesting a specific remedy .

Thanks in advance to all!
    Kama
    Any help will really & highly appreciated !
    Tks Kama

Quote Originally Posted by kamakajee View Post
    I changed the power supply & the 'deemed' dead galvo started working ...
    I must admit I am a bit confused; by the statment I am quoting, the power supply replacement got the galvo working... for a bit?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I must admit I am a bit confused; by the statment I am quoting, the power supply replacement got the galvo working... for a bit?
    Hi.. let me explain.. I just had a straight horizontal line being projected from my Mystiq laser , on close examination I found that one of the galvos was not working, therefore to be sure i was dealing with a 'dead' galvo I switched the power supply & vola ! I had the galvo working. So the problem is not with the galvo, I even changed the fuse on the power supply.. but no use.
    Hope that explains my statement
    Kama

So you still have a problem but you are sure the galvo is now working..? I am still confused but we can plow along...

How do you know the galvo is now working?
    If you don't mind, please explain again what the problem is... You only see a horizontal line when you project what?

Have you taken the impacted galvo's input signal and sent it to the other galvo?

It sounds like a wiring problem from my confused perspective. Swapping the input signals between galvos should tell you where the issue lies. If you put the impacted (I think Y galvo) galvo's signal to the other scanner and the problem moves it is a connection problem; if the problem stays with the originally impacted galvo the problem involves the originally impacted galvo or its amp.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    So you still have a problem but you are sure the galvo is now working..? I am still confused but we can plow along...

How do you know the galvo is now working?
    If you don't mind, please explain again what the problem is... You only see a horizontal line when you project what?

Have you taken the impacted galvo's input signal and sent it to the other galvo?

It sounds like a wiring problem from my confused perspective. Swapping the input signals between galvos should tell you where the issue lies. If you put the impacted (I think Y galvo) galvo's signal to the other scanner and the problem moves it is a connection problem; if the problem stays with the originally impacted galvo the problem involves the originally impacted galvo or its amp.
    I think you have got it, but still let me walk you through the whole problem... lets try once again .. I had two laser connected with a 'y' cable. On firing up the laser, one laser played the cue perfectly but the other just shot a horizontal line. On looking closely I noticed one of the mirror on the galvo was just static there was no movement.

I switched the power supply from the 'stationed' mirror to the other galvo & the problem moved to the other galvo. So I guess the problem is not with the galvo but with the connection, I changed the fuse.. but no use the problem still persist.
    & yes one more thing.. when both the laser were connected with the 'y' cable, the moment I powered on the problematic laser I saw a distortion in the image projected by the other laser.

Hope I'm clear now

Lightbulb

Sounds like you need to a) make sure you have +24V DC (referenced to 'common'), coming from the one-supply, and -24V DC, ref'd to COM, coming from the other... If it's not the 'fuse' of one of the supplies, could-possibly be a 'bad output' (either + or -); If both are good (+/- 24), b) check that the power-connections to both pairs of scan amps are solid - no lose male terminal pins / solder joints / female plug-pins .. +/- 24V DC @ each of the XY-pair amps' power-input terminals (..power, not 'signal'..)

..Of course, also-verify your signal-integrity to each scan-amps' signal-inputs, and try a different 'Y' cable; Then try each PJ, separately, with a 'single-ended' (not a 'Y' splitter..) as-well..

Check these things and report back to base..
    cheers
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

A block diagram showing the wiring and which wires you swapped to get the "dead" galvo working again would be helpful, so we know which "power supply" wires you swapped round.

Corporal Kama reporting back to base Sir ,
    I was able to take some some snaps, & i'm a total novice when it comes to electronics.. so please bear with me.
    In pic 1 - when I switch the white plug between a & b galvo, the problem also moves from a to b.
    In pic 2 - what I feel are the fuse, when I change it with a new one, there is no change in the problem.
    Will appreciate if I could be directed as to what 'may' be the possible problems.
    Thanks
    Kama
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	31722

Name:	Pic2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	31723

Name:	IMG_2029.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	31724
    Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Sounds like you need to a) make sure you have +24V DC (referenced to 'common'), coming from the one-supply, and -24V DC, ref'd to COM, coming from the other... If it's not the 'fuse' of one of the supplies, could-possibly be a 'bad output' (either + or -); If both are good (+/- 24), b) check that the power-connections to both pairs of scan amps are solid - no lose male terminal pins / solder joints / female plug-pins .. +/- 24V DC @ each of the XY-pair amps' power-input terminals (..power, not 'signal'..)

..Of course, also-verify your signal-integrity to each scan-amps' signal-inputs, and try a different 'Y' cable; Then try each PJ, separately, with a 'single-ended' (not a 'Y' splitter..) as-well..

Check these things and report back to base..
    cheers
    j

Great, thanks for the pictures. This clears up some confusion...

When you said "I switched the power supply", I think we all thought you meant you swapped the connection between the power supply and the drivers, not the connections between the drivers and the galvos (which is what you actually swapped).

There is likely to be an issue with one of the drivers (not the galvo), or there is a problem with the power to that driver or the signal to that driver.

Keep the galvos connected to their original drivers. Now can you try swap the signal inputs (white plugs) on the drivers and see if the problem swaps? If the problem swaps the the control signals/wires are bad, if the problem stays the same then the driver is likely to be faulty.

Possibility of a bad Ilda cord? Was it the second projector in line?