Thread: Red Nd:YAG?

Default Red Nd:YAG?

How does these red yaglasers work? I've found out that they are working at 659nM.
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

Yeah, but they're pulsed, and can only run up to around 25Khz or so...

Apparently they use a rather uncommon line that Nd:YVO4 will lase at (1318 nm) and double that to get 659 nm. I'm guessing that's why they need the q-switch, and thus are forced to settle for pulsed operation.

It is interesting though - since YV04 will lase at 1340 qite readily, which if doubled would give you 670 nm... That would be about a deep of a red as you'd ever need, which would seem to be the best place to start. But evidently they had other reasons for pushing for 659 nm output.

Wonder how expensive these things are? (My guess is, *very*...)

Adam

Yes, very expensive. The one I found where running at 12W, Q switched.

I have found some more information and it looks like they cool the YAG rod to a low temperature, and at that temperature it will lase at about 1360nM and that is doubled to 659nM.

I'm not sure about this but thats what I've found so far.
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

I've seen 671nm dpss lasers. As Buffo said, they use the 1340nm line for doubling.

I really don't know much about those. Also, having 670nm red diodes readily available, I see no point in using yag for that. Maybe higher powers :?:
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

At an ilda in orlando Lee laser had a flash lamp ya putting out someware around 10 watts of pulsed red. it had a big beam but was still neat to see.

Chad