Thread: CDRH in the USA

Default CDRH in the USA

So with only TWO working CDRH inspectors with one about to retire and CDRH having no plans to hire more. What will happen with enforcement in the USA?

Will laserworld lasers flood the market yet again? Zero chance of ever getting a CDRH visit? Please don't take this wrong I just want to understand CDRH's lack of enforcement. Is it a money thing? A lobby group? Lack of blinding events in the USA?

There have been several behind the scene enforcements once a complaint is made, that i know of. However random just showing up on location no idea.
    leading in trailing technology

I got a random visit at Burning Man, I think it was 2001? The year of the "Laser Man" I didn't ask to see ID or anything like that. But was asked if I filed a show report, I did not. (NV state makes you file with the them also) Was next asked about equipment and variance. I did have a variance on the projector I was using and everything was on top of a truck well above eye lines. Nothing came of it the guy hung around for about 20mins just watching me after he looked at my stuff.

Laserworld stuff has exploded on the party scene here in San Francisco. I have not been to a party in the last year and not seen some laser action, all well above 5mw. We also have a local laser guy here in SF that rents him self out with a few yags and no variance. I know he has been doing it for at least 8+ years now. If I had to guess it is him that is renting out some laserworld projectors to the party crews.
    Last edited by Picasso; 11-07-2011 at 16:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    I have not been to a party in the last year and not seen some laser action, all well above 5mw.
    Do you see unsafe audience-scanning? If-so, report it! Worst that can happen is... nothing... But, there have been a few 'heartwarming stories' from the likes of Sir Flecom, and MLS (? iirc), recently.. so, point is, action can, and does-happen - Unfortunately, yes, the CDRH is woefully under-everything'd, these days, and it prolly will be a loong-time, if-ever, that that 'improves'... Prolly by the time they get funding / manpower to 'enforce', we'll all be going clubbing on our 'Holodecks' - Audience-scan all ya want - all the lasers / drinks, etc are 'virtual'.... lol...

..but I'm still going to the MilkBar...

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

There are more than two inspectors; presently there are five by my count plus the branch staff, state staffs and other authorities having jurisdiction. One is about to retire but he is being replaced from what I understand.

As Jon says, if you see something unsafe, report it! You have an inspector quite close to you.