Thread: Legality/Safety of shows in Australia?

Default Legality/Safety of shows in Australia?

I've done a search on Australia and laser shows - all i can find is a reference to AS standards documents-only for sale.
    Posts here on PL give reference to: Projector having scanfail, emergency shutdown, emissions indicators etc, operator having a risk assessment and management plan, ability to calculate MPE, Public Liability (a must).
    Perhaps Dave, tags or other aus forum members can answer what is legal in Aus.

Legal or not?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN26V2dwV1w
    Venue area from stage across to back is approx 8 x 10 metres.

Each State is different. There are AS/NZS standards, but not all States mandate compliance. WA is strict, VIC is not (yet). I'm not sure about ACT.

PM your email address for more info

Hi Clearlight. What state are you in?

I can comment on WA as I have recently become "fully legal" myself, and it's a lot of red tape and cost!!! PM me for info on WA if it interests you. I can't really speak for Vic, NSW, ACT etc.
    This space for rent.

Hi Dnar, i am in the ACT.

Hi Clearlight,

Here is a link to buy the Aus/NZ standard that covers the use for lasers for entertainment purposes. It's basically the same standard as around the world. However different states and countries use it differently.
    http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store...oductID=364718

Most of Australia would apply its principals as "should" in WA the word "must" is applied as we actually have legislation covering the safe use of lasers in entertainment.

Again I can't speak for the laws in the ACT but following what the standard layout is a pretty good start. I can't see you going too far wrong with that. Strictly speaking if you followed it to the letter, you can't really audience scan above a quiet low power level anywhere.

Saying that Most states don't enforce it. The eastern states take a more European approach e.g. Know what you are doing don't be a knob and if you don't injure anyone they won't bother you. WA is more like the US, e.g. Audience scanning is probably safe but unless you can prove it you can't do it. Which is near on impossible and potentially very expensive to prove.

@dnar have you found a soft copy of the The RHS No. 37 code of practice. You know the little green book that is superseded but WA still refers to? It might be worth Clearlight having a read too as it covers a lot of whats in the standard and is easier to read http://www.arpansa.gov.au/Publications/codes/rhs.cfm

If you are here asking these questions, you are on the right track and will get a lot of support from the PL crowd.

Good luck.

Kit

@dnar have you found a soft copy of the The RHS No. 37 code of practice. You know the little green book that is superseded but WA still refers to? It might be worth Clearlight having a read too as it covers a lot of whats in the standard and is easier to read
    Merry Christmas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Code of Practice rhs37.pdf 
Views:	29 
Size:	663.7 KB 
ID:	28560
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    Merry Christmas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Code of Practice rhs37.pdf 
Views:	29 
Size:	663.7 KB 
ID:	28560
    Hey Troy! How are you man?