Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Laser Company? How what where why?

Default Starting Laser Company? How what where why?

So, im thinking of starting a own company and after hours of research i still cant make up my mind if this is actually a good idea.

Here are some things im considering:
    -not taking a starters loan because the fear of getting a low income, wich will mean i can only do shows with LSX and one ~2.2W projector.
    -If i take a starters loan: get driving license plus cheapy car, getting a new ~2.2w laser projector and get pangolin cheap version.
    -Running the service from my bedroom, because i really cant spend xxxxxx euro on a own location i guess.

Here are questions:
    How much ask for a 2.2W laser projector show?
    Whats your opinion about getting a starters loan?
    What costs are into account when doing a show? ofcource tax if its not a company, costs to drive, ect ect ect but what about a song license or any other hidden legal costs?

Facts about me:
    I do like lasershows, duh. Meaning il put alot of time in my hobby(and then my work).
    I already did a laser savety training. Il definatly go for savety first as i dont want people talking bad about me, i dont want claims, and i also care a little bit about people
    My build/ electronic skills get better, but its still childish compared to probaly everyone on here.

Thanks for your opinion and advice.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    How much ask for a 2.2W laser projector show?
    I don't wanna piss-on-your-bonfire... your enthusiasm is good, but if you need to ask those sorts of questions... then it's probably a little premature to "go it on your own" as a business right away.
    Maybe best to get some 'road experience' first by working on a few jobs; then you will have a more complete picture if starting your own is a good idea; lest the financial burdens should it not turn out exactly what you imagined.

Ta,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Find yourself a solid work (other than lasers), then you will earn money to spent on more serious laser projectors I think you need at least 5-8 projectors to start a correct laser business, in the 1-10W range, maybe more (yeah I know it's gonna cost *a lot*) : you should cover both mid and high range, thus giving you more clients. Small parties can't afford large lasershow but there's a lot and they like having lasers, and bigger parties/companies need top-notch laser projection but of course pay way more.
    In the meantime you have only your 2.2W, starts by doing small shows there and there to "take the temperature", learn the business and make contacts

And if you need starters loan, ask your family, not a bank, and take only "small" amounts...

one dutch word for you to look into.

AANSPRAKELIJKHEIDSVERZEKERING (zakelijk).

translation.
    Business LIABILITY INSURANCE :-)

but if i do a couple of shows i need to ask tax, thus having my own company. At least if i keep it below 500 euro for a whole year, i think.
    I ask these questions because i never got them answered.
    Say you start your own company, or maybe you already have one. You never heared what money laserists ask. then will you do a show for like 50 euro? or 500? or more? how can you know what its worth?
    ofcource i can calculate costs of my projector and time and fuel of the car ect ect ect but then il probaly need to ask like 500 euro already for just a small club show.

@Anthony: i have my laser savety. i think thats good enough for small shows. I will take that ensurance later on, if things are going well. Thats what i thought when i came across that word when i did my research.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Prices are very difficult to fix.
    Ask the more you can (within limits corresponding to what you have to offer of course), then you can always offer discount But if you start asking too low you will never be able to raise your prices. And of course you should cover all your show related expenses (fuel, insurance, etc). + a nice benefit.

300-500€ is an acceptable expense even for a little sized "commercial" club (i.e. which ask >10€ for a drink).

There was threads recently on this on PL, with people way more experienced than me, you should have a look...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

What would you guys charge for this event for example?
    A small event, maybe 50-100 people. If it weren't for you there wouldn't be any lights at all, maybe at best some hired par cans. You stay for the whole night, starting at 9 pm continuing to 5 am (?). Income fee varies from free to €5. Drinks are somewhere between €1 - €2. Not commercial at all, in short.

You bring some basic light equipment: some scanners, moonflowers, par cans, tripod, yadda yadda, all DMX controlled.
    How much extra would you charge for an ILDA controlled laser, around 300 mW, 12 K scanners, unicolour?
    What if it was a bigger event?

I have been a freelance stage tech for 3 years now and tinkering with laser projectors, but as of yet, doing shows is not paying off enough to make a living.

If logistics are your problem, you can always try to tag along with someone else who *can* drive. Remember, laser shows are a lot less demanding on transport than mobile DJ setups, so unless you have large frame ions, there is no need to drive around with a van. A normal estate can carry all the stuff you need (projectors, laptop + controller, cables) and then some.

Furthermore, it's much more enjoyable to go on a show with two people instead of doing it all on your own.

For starter's tips: Try and promote the fact that you do laser shows first, so you can make a reputation. Make it clear that you're doing it for PROMOTIONAL purposes, and it's no problem to give away a show for free (e.g. all expenses paid). It breeds confidence with your clients, but emphasise you won't be giving any more freebies after the first show. But, if you do it right, by then they're impressed and willing to pay top dollar for a good, commercial quality show.

€500 a night for a beams-only show with 1 projector (or 2 identical ones), as you'd find with a dance club, is a reasonable price. It's not going to pay for your rent unless you do such a show every weekend though.

The big money is in the corporate presentations and product launches with graphic shows, which are upwards of €10k each easily, since corporations have the marketing budget to spend for it.

maybe that i need an extra employee in the future.
    Boaz does this sound interesting to you?

Registering at the kvk (chamber of commerce) is not too expensive.
    But the investments you have to make is immense and the time you will have to devote to it needs to be a lot.
    Preferably as many times a week as possible.

I need beamshows with my graphics shows.
    Anyway I want to discuss this with you in private later (if.. you are interested off course) .

Why this offer?
    Simple: I have seen your beamshows and quick learning curve and also notice your enthousiasm, you have that in you too and I see your having a similar thought as I had when i started creating my company.
    a sort of co-operation could save you the massive investments you have to do (which depending on how you got the money from your investement could come at great risk if you can't earn them back )
    So a co-operation should save you the risk, we can discuss this in more detail in private if you'd like off course).

And yes you would be allowed to keep using LSX (saying that just incase)
    Last edited by masterpj; 11-08-2011 at 16:29.

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    I don't wanna piss-on-your-bonfire... your enthusiasm is good, but if you need to ask those sorts of questions... then it's probably a little premature to "go it on your own" as a business right away.
    Maybe best to get some 'road experience' first by working on a few jobs; then you will have a more complete picture if starting your own is a good idea; lest the financial burdens should it not turn out exactly what you imagined.

Ta,
    Dan
    exactly what he said!!!

you talk about businiess and "cheap" is the only word that keeps repeating itself...
    you don't want to use "cheap" too much, as you then will be branded as cheap, your level of service will be cheap and then your charge-income will also be cheap

and you still would have to pray before each show that nothing goes wrong...

my advice... don't do it just yet. gather experience first
    "its called character briggs..."