Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modification of a DAC in order to get multiple blanking

Default Modification of a DAC in order to get multiple blanking

Hi all,

I'm building a 3 color laser system (red green yellow) using propelscan software and a parallel DAC that I found on the net. The DAC that i am using only has ttl blanking for one laser. I attached a picture of the DAC.

I want to be able to create different colors. But in order to do this i must be able to blank both of the lasers not just one! How can i modify this DAC so that i can have not just blanking for just one laser but both red and green in order to create yelllow colors using this software?

This is a link to the DAC http://24.202.226.190:81/images/Others/DAC0832.gif

Regards
    John

I have the LPT DAC aswell..
    Using popelscan.

I did use my LPT and popelscan wit no problem before, using only green colour !
    But I think I did use the "blanking" output, and not the GREEN signal out.

Now that I`m trying to use RED and GREEn signal to make RGY..
    There is nothing
    Only a mix with colours going wild... the signal is totally fucked up..

so sorry... i dunno ..

Hmmmm.... Thanks for your input.
    Anyone else got any ideas?

maybe guido can help on this... ?

He is the one that did make the LPT DAC

Guido? Are u there??
    I have a few questions....
    I see that your DAC has TTL blanking for R, G and B so how is it possible to get another pin of the parallel port to blank another laser?

After scoping the parallel port I found that the only Pin that can be used to modulate a laser is pin1... What is the "switch-PCB" tick box? What does it do?

Cheers
    John

Guido is a member of the (mostly German) laserfreak.net. Try his site http://www.mylaserpage.de

However, I just stumbled over today's French topic which might help you:
    http://laserfreak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39314
    The (currently) last post contains a DAC with colors, and the language is Dutch (talking about foreign tongues ;-)).

Anyhow, you might be able to get out what you need for colors...

Cheers
    Christoph
    Popelscan is still alive - check out here!

Add-on (sorry, didn't read the whole thread):

The "old version" DAC does support only one color and blanking (either one TTL hi or lo).

For this version there is a add-on card, connected to the DAC and parallel port via Y-cable, which supports the three color plus blanking outputs, plus 8 TTL bit ports for whatever comes into your mind. The blanking and color pin on the "main" board is switched off when using the add-on color board.

His newer version DAC, out-of-sale now, supported all on one board about the size of the old "main" board.

I do currently own the old version+add-on card, even though it's right now replaced by bILDA2, and it served me well, even with "only" 7 colors TTL.

I used to think I was the only one using Popelscan with an RGB system ;-)

Cheers
    Christoph

I do currently own the old version+add-on card, even though it's right now replaced by bILDA2, and it served me well, even with "only" 7 colors TTL.
    Are you intrested in selling it to me Christoph?
    If so how much do you want for it?
    You can PM or email me.

Cheers
    Jim

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your reply, i checked out that thread seems like others are trying to get popelscan working with 3colors too. Also your website has some really cool stuff on it http://www.jurmo.de/PM6500/. Lots of MOT files i will be playing with.

So, 3 or more ttl outputs can be achieved using a parallel DAC and popelscan .... This add-on-card you speak about, where did u get it from? Did u make it or buy it? Do u have the schematic for it? I would like it... Seems like JimBo wants it too.

The link you sent me http://laserfreak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39314 has a schematic posted allowing up to 7ttl outputs, has anyone built this? Can it be used for blanking of 2 seprate lasers?

Also, Guido emailed me saying "His DAC Project is closed since 2 Years and he sold the Circuit. So cant give any Details."..... Fair enough i say.

John

Hi guys,

I didn't actually intent to advertise my DAC... ;-)

But anyway:
    I got the ready-to-use add-on card on eBay from another German laserfreak, but it's made by Guido, as is my DAC, which I bought directly off him.

What I could do, and I don't think Guido will mind, is sending you pictues of the front and back of the card. It's really simple, even I could trace back the circuits. The DAC itself, however, is a little more compact, but I'm sure you freaks know what to look for, anyway. If you like me to send you the pics, just drop me an email. I'll send you the Popelscan show passwords as well ;-)

Now, about selling the DAC+color card: I thought about using the card myself for the TTL support and some cheap scanners in a satellite, but time's a limit for me right now, the project is somewhat canceled (I think I stay with what I have, for the time being...).

So, thinking again about it: Yes, I would sell it. But what price to ask? You just get in contact with me via email (not pmail, please), and we'll sort it out :-)

Cheers
    Christoph
    P.S. please use a email topic containing "Laser" so it will pass my spam filter...