Thread: Looking to build my first DIY projector, seeking parts advice

Default Looking to build my first DIY projector, seeking parts advice

I've been talking with Aixiz about putting together a parts list to build an RGB projector. It will be analog modulation, under 1 watt (200-500mW per color), and use my existing set of Cambridge 6800HP galvos with a sound card DAC. Once the main assembly is built, I hope to make it fully ILDA compliant.

The galvos and amp have been salvaged from an old Eclipse LaserXpress projector, and I've successfully reproduced the ILDA test pattern at 30K using the low power green DPSS laser that was in the unit. It has left me itching for full color and more brightness.

My main question is, what type of material should I mount everything on? From what I've seen, it looks like a lot of you guys are using a thick metal plate to hold all the components. I assume this is also to act as a heatsink.

I could also use advice on how to line everything up. I'll be getting a set of Dichros to combine the beams, but I'm pretty sure each laser will need a different mounting scheme because they are not physically matched.

One thing I've noticed is that there are no RGB safety goggles. I guess I'll need to set up each color one at a time using the appropriate goggles, then do the RGB convergence at low power without goggles once everything is roughed in?

If there is a construction thread somewhere that has some guidelines for a good DIY build, feel free to direct me there. I appreciate any advice :-)

G'day

Nice scanners! My CT6800HPs rock!

You're welcome to follow my thread.

Also all of your queries are covered in detail in numerous posts here on PL. Have a good look around and use the search

Feel free to ask for clarification if you don't understand the information posted.

Welcome and may you enjoy the experience (though not that of the inevitable shrinking wallet this hobby seems to make happen)!

well, most people use aluminium plates 10mm to half inch thick, for structural rigidity and good thermal dissipation (although others would argue and not be unjustified, that you should not dissipate too much heat through the baseplate, as this upsets optics alignment over time)

a nice guide to near field and far field alignment can be found here (you will need both kinds of alignment) http://www.stanwax.plus.com/lw/rgb%20alignment%20lw.pdf

something i strongly recommend is the implementation of "bounce mirrors". A nice example can be seen here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...4&d=1308164963

The beams bounce off a mirror before heading to the dichro. this extra adjustability can compensate for drilling, milling, building discrepancies and beam height differences (laser to laser, laser to galvo etc etc)

other that that, as taggalucci said, there is much much more available around here, use tha search and be sure to come back with build pics. everybody enjoys these, it is like our reward
    "its called character briggs..."

Anyone know if the Dicros that Aixiz sells come with mounts? They cost $65, and I've seen bare dichros on Ebay for less than $20.