Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laservision Digital SE head.

Would more pics help?

Looking at Sam's FAQ:

Research Electro-Optics, Inc. (REO) is probably the only manufacturer of commercially available HeNe lasers that can be tuned to 5 wavelengths by turning a knob.
    The LSTP-0010 produces 0.1 mW at 543.5 nm, 0.3 mW at 594.1 nm, 0.5 mW at 604.6 nm, 0.5 mW at 611.9 nm, and 0.5 mW at 632.8 nm. Price: $3,200.
    The LSTP-1010 produces 0.3 mW at 543.5 nm, 0.6 mW at 594.1 nm, 0.5 mW at 604.6 nm, 2.5 mW at 611.9 nm, and 4 mW at 632.8 nm. Price: $4,050.

?!?

couldn't be... could it?

looks an awful lot like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pms1b1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	28734

OK, looking closer, there are only 2 wires coming out of the power brick, going to the tube, black goes to the emitter end, red goes to this fuse-looking glass tube, that is hotglued into place on the A/C transformer.

coming off the main circuit board into the power brick are 3 lines: yellow, red, black.

The tube is hot glued into the mounts, but I can see the label on it...
    1st line (probably the model # is covered by the mount
    August 1992
    3781-2091-11 (prob serial#)
    PMS Boulder, Colorado USA

And flipping over the power brick I find:

Plasmatronics, Inc.
    Mod: F-22-10-TTL
    Serial: F205310
    Input: 22-30 VDC
    Output: V 1800-2600 VDC 5.5 mA

well, mystery partially solved...

Ground the black, hit the red with 24 VDC from a switching P/S (for those RGB LED controllers), and the yellow must be TTL, so it gets either grounded or 5 V (or mebbe more?) and if the lasing gods like Americans today, I should be lasing...

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

That tube in your unit is not tunable, tunable REOs need a external resonator to drive the internal sealed prism bellows. But I suspect it its not red, either. It looks very much like my orange REO that came from a similar show head. 1mW on what is a 5 mW size tube from REO, suggests other colors, maybe. Beware the fragile connection between the anode and the ballast resistors. No, at this point you need to light it up, because the only other way I could tell is careful examination on the bench with special lighting or another hene. Ie guessing from the end mirror color. And I do mean guess. REO is probably the best mirror coating house in the world.

The "fuse looking glass tube" is the ballast resistor(s)

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-14-2011 at 13:42.

So I ground the black, and -since I don't have any 24VDC p/s (thought I did)- gonna whip up a LM317 for 24VDC and hit that with the 12V LED P/S's I have (like the glavo P/S's only have +12 out).

Am I correct about yellow being TTL? I guess I can try grounding first, then 5v if no light?

I am not going to mess with any of the hot glue or the ballast resistors for now, but I will eventually want to free this baby from that ugly slab of metal...

And thanks for your help Steve. It's highly appreciated..

The PSU is probably made by Laser Drive.

The yellow wire should be tied to ground to enable the laser

Is there 24VDC coming out of the converter and into the PSU?

Is the yellow wire grounded?

Peace,
    dave

Thanks for chiming in Dave! ;-) Happy Turkeyday too!

I did manage to get this fine HeNe running. (Yellow to ground) I bypassed everything except the PSU and Ballast resistors. Dug up a 24V P/S and viola! Lasing! this almost 20 year old laser throws a really nice dot/beam. I'd guess it to be <5mw, as it's dimmer when compared to my new (FREE!) WL Core pointer which is sold as 5mw (which I'd venture to say is > 5mw).

Not sure what to do with it now... I actually thought about sending it to my LPF Secret Santa, but... Naaahhh.

So what does one DO with such a laser?

Just hang on to it as a testament to laser days gone by. I still have my first hene that I got when I was 13 from pms/reo, I am almost 40 now.
    My hene is still doing 7 mw of red. Those are some of the finest hene's ever built.

Remember that that was about the best laser you could get with out spending 30k for a big ion. We are really spoiled with the diodes now days. But compare that beam quality to the diodes.

How about some closer pics of the scanners and the driver stuff on the bottom.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by GoolGaul View Post
    Thanks for chiming in Dave! ;-) Happy Turkeyday too!

I did manage to get this fine HeNe running. (Yellow to ground) I bypassed everything except the PSU and Ballast resistors. Dug up a 24V P/S and viola! Lasing! this almost 20 year old laser throws a really nice dot/beam. I'd guess it to be <5mw, as it's dimmer when compared to my new (FREE!) WL Core pointer which is sold as 5mw (which I'd venture to say is > 5mw).

Not sure what to do with it now... I actually thought about sending it to my LPF Secret Santa, but... Naaahhh.

So what does one DO with such a laser?
    If it is indeed green, you hang onto it and enjoy the light

It won't be long before they are no longer making these

Peace,
    dave