Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILDA Moscow update from ex-pres

Default ILDA Moscow update from ex-pres

Hi All,

We are still in Moscow at the ILDA meeting having a great time! I'll post some pics here in a second....

I am off of the ILDA Board of Directors and not the president at this time. Bill Benner collected something like 76 proxy votes from members who were not attending, and used them to vote for his employee Justin Perry, and Dan Goldsmith from X-Laser to be on the ILDA Board. Christine Jenkin of LaserNet is now president of ILDA.

- Tim Walsh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MachidaTaipans.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	28716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToddShowILDA11.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	28717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrioRehearsal1.jpg 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	28718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dancers.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	28719

Very nice pictures thank you for sharing Tim! I have a few thoughts. I hope I can make it down for your x-mas show!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

That RGB is really something. OPSL?

I *almost* actually made it to the ILDA meet this year. Looks like a good time!

- Jonathan

Great pics Tim.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

benner pulled a coup and stuffed the board with his own people by burning a bunch of proxy votes?

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWizard View Post
    Hi All,

We are still in Moscow at the ILDA meeting having a great time! I'll post some pics here in a second....

I am off of the ILDA Board of Directors and not the president at this time. Bill Benner collected something like 76 proxy votes from members who were not attending, and used them to vote for his employee Justin Perry, and Dan Goldsmith from X-Laser to be on the ILDA Board. Christine Jenkin of LaserNet is now president of ILDA.

- Tim Walsh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MachidaTaipans.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	28716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToddShowILDA11.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	28717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrioRehearsal1.jpg 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	28718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dancers.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	28719
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    benner pulled a coup and stuffed the board with his own people by burning a bunch of proxy votes?
    I only thought that.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Sorry to see your not on the Board Tim ... You have been a major player and well respected member ...

As far as Bill's Proxy votes go ... im in middle ground ... basicaly because Bill emailed me 1 day before the conference and asked if i wanted him to put my vote forward.... he did ask if i had any prefence to who the votes go to .... as i was not attending the conference i thought better it get used rather than waste it .... i said that he could use my vote any way he wished ..... as i did not now at the time who had put themselves forward for election ....

Now ..... although it seems fingers are being pointed at Bill for using this method of gaining proxys ..... i also have to say that if Tim, Paul or anyone who wanted my vote to count towards them... had contacted me prior to the conference they could have used my proxy in just the same way ....

allthough the proxy thing seems unfair .... if everyone had rallyed around to get votes ... it would become more equal accross candidates ....

this has been discussed at ILDA Meetings before ... 1 idea was to limit 5 proxy votes per atendee ....

all the best

Karl

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

sounds like benner gamed it and tim/paul were too honest to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Sorry to see your not on the Board Tim ... You have been a major player and well respected member ...

As far as Bill's Proxy votes go ... im in middle ground ... basicaly because Bill emailed me 1 day before the conference and asked if i wanted him to put my vote forward.... he did ask if i had any prefence to who the votes go to .... as i was not attending the conference i thought better it get used rather than waste it .... i said that he could use my vote any way he wished ..... as i did not now at the time who had put themselves forward for election ....

Now ..... although it seems fingers are being pointed at Bill for using this method of gaining proxys ..... i also have to say that if Tim, Paul or anyone who wanted my vote to count towards them... had contacted me prior to the conference they could have used my proxy in just the same way ....

allthough the proxy thing seems unfair .... if everyone had rallyed around to get votes ... it would become more equal accross candidates ....

this has been discussed at ILDA Meetings before ... 1 idea was to limit 5 proxy votes per atendee ....

all the best

Karl
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I am glad to see Dan on the board though

Politics will be politics I guess...

Sorry to see you go as the president Tim...
    Last edited by flecom; 11-14-2011 at 09:37.

I just released this on the Laserist list and thought I would post here as well for those who may be interested.

Hello all,

Following the ILDA business meeting vote that elected me to the board of directors I felt it was important to send out a note introducing myself to some of the folks who I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting and say a little about my vision for ILDA’s future. However, I would first like to thank Tim and Paul for their leadership and work on the board. I have only met Paul once but I walked away with the impression of him being a really first rate person and Tim of course has been a fixture in this industry back to the founding of ILDA.

I am mindful that we are standing on the shoulders of giants as we begin the hard work of expanding the association to meet the technical, creative, regulatory and safety challenges of the laser renaissance currently unfolding. The cost and technological accessibility of current laser systems is giving rise to thousands of new laserists picking up the craft in some form or another all around the world. Truly, there has never been a time in my knowledge when ILDA has been more relevant to the broader entertainment market or in a better position to grow. I am honored to be a part of that and would like to thank all of those who supported me both directly and by proxy and well as those who have offered encouragement such as Brad most recently.

Since I was not able to travel to Moscow I had spent some time writing a brief statement about why I wanted to be on ILDA’s board and was subsequently asked to turn that into a video on a quite short timeline. So, though it was done in haste, I wanted to share the video with you here so that you could see what everyone at the meeting saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIf2MW9Anc8

It has been said that X-Laser ‘makes lasers for everybody else’ preferring to focus on making good quality, accessible laser systems for the mass market while leaving the LaserNet’s, Lobo’s, Kvant’s and HB’s of the world to continuing to elevate the artistic capabilities of our craft by producing top notch high powered production laser systems and shows. In so doing, we have plugged ourselves into the largest market of new laserists and hope to leverage these contacts to expand the association’s membership base. I feel this expansion is core to ILDA’s continued relevancy in this new market and its long term financial stability.

I care very much about this industry.

I care very much about enhancing our public face and maintaining our outstanding industry wide safety record.

I care very much about clients understanding that a kid with a laser is not the same thing as a laser professional and then getting that kid to the point where he/she can call himself/herself a professional.

I think that passion combined with a demonstrable track record of getting big things done makes me a good candidate and was what garnered the support of folks like Bill Benner. We have a LONG way to go and I am deeply gratified to be working more closely with people like Justin whose energy and creativity would bring a breath of fresh air to even the newest of rooms.

Thanks again for your support and please feel free to drop a note to introduce yourself if you like or chat about direction you would like to see the association take. All ideas are welcome.