Thread: Dumbass question about controlling galvos!

Default Dumbass question about controlling galvos!

I think I am missing something really basic here! ops:
    I've seen loads of people selling galvo sets (pair of galvos, driver cards and psu) and I've also seen the question asked about using cheap DACs to control them.
    Now from what I see the cheap DACs simply have X&Y outputs which you mate up with the appropriate galvo driver board.

I have 3 plug and play lasers, 1 has dmx and ilda connectors, the other 2 only have dmx.
    Looking inside the lasers all 3 have the normal galvo/driver/psu components but also have a separate cpu board that runs the built in grasphics.

Can I just disconnect the cpu board and connect the outputs from the DAC straight to the driver board?
    If I can what is the point of the ILDA board that increased the price of the laser if you can just do without it? :?:

Jim

I think the ILDA connector is used to connect your laser setup to an off the shelf DAC of your choosing. I don't think you can connect the DAC directly to the cpu connector.

I believe that cpu is some sort of PIC used to control the laser with some built in shows, and perhaps change them to the beat of the music.

So, in the end, I think you can have your DAC connected to your computer, and the laser to your DAC. That way you can control your laser from your computer .

Some one with more experience on this correct me if I'm wrong, please :P
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

Jim,

if the laser doesnrt have a ilda, chances are they use stepper motors as scanners, and there is no way to interface them to ilda. What lasers do you have?

Dave
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I've just double checked.
    The Super-1s has galvo's, the SIK S69 has galvo's but the Seven Stars Big Dipper F01 uses steppers.
    I managed to win the blue laser of eBay so I may rebuild either the S69 or the Super-1s to make a RGB system
    No doubt I'll be asking questions about sorting the optics/mirrors/galvos out and how to align them.

Jim

I have some m6008 galvos if you want to buy cheap
    They will only scan at 8-10000k but it`s ok for a beginner

Just let them question come dude, that`s why we are here to help other :P

I will probably mod one of the two units that have galvos in.
    Out of intrest you could PM me the price for your galvos just in case I do go down that route.
    Jim