Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Its very greeeeeeeeen

got it in one

not managed to get more than 20W CW out of it yet, but have run it at 150W pulses for a while ... very impressive in that mode.

Ok this obviously is starting to sound like a troll topic yes.
    If your joking: it's not funny.
    If not: You are handling with a dangerous laser... where did you point it towards when doing those 150 watt pulses?
    My guess is that you had it pointed outside too when pulsating (What i fear is that are pointing a beam very low to the ground, pulsating at 150w!!)...you seriously need to stop doing that if this is the case.
    Last edited by masterpj; 11-20-2011 at 08:16.

20W CW sounds a little over-egging it. Was this on the built in LSCP meter or an external cal'd one?
    ...150W no way

What tube current was this at?
    (Stick a voltmeter across the two probe outlets on the ALE supply; if its a newer one and it only has the J100 connector, I can give you the pinouts for those two monitor pins.)

Troll?
    I don't think so; this chap has popped the lid of a LSCP and tickled it with a tickling stick; 'tis all
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

We checked the calibration out of the fibre with an Ophir power meter, it was pretty close.

We removed the fibre coupler crap and built an quick and dirty cailbration adaptor, which is about 50% lossy, according to the system, so if thats the case, when we see 10W on the screen, we should be getting about 20W out of the exit port, as it thinks it is losing 50% down the now non-existant fibre.

Highest figure I can get on screen is 80W, in pulse mode, when the system has been set up with the same 50% calibrator, so shoudl be getting 150W pulses.

The service engineers notes we found inside had a measurement of 34 watts CW at 28 amps lamp current when it was tested just 1 year ago, so 20W shoudl be a piece of cake for it. 150W pulses, 2ms at 20pps is still only 40ms on/ 960ms off ... (40/960) * 80 = 3W average ... it will actually be putting out 6W average given the calibration factor.

Its actually very scary in pulse mode, even with OD5 glasses on. The apparent brightness is WAY higher than the 6W average would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    20W CW sounds a little over-egging it. Was this on the built in LSCP meter or an external cal'd one?
    ...150W no way

What tube current was this at?
    (Stick a voltmeter across the two probe outlets on the ALE supply; if its a newer one and it only has the J100 connector, I can give you the pinouts for those two monitor pins.)

Troll?
    I don't think so; this chap has popped the lid of a LSCP and tickled it with a tickling stick; 'tis all
    I was refering to the 'infant' holding the output lens and the reference to finding somebody else to hold a steering mirror.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I was refering to the 'infant' holding the output lens and the reference to finding somebody else to hold a steering mirror.
    Yep, agreed on that part!
    I'm ok with putting myself in any possible danger; other folks... not a chance!!

Here you go,

As you wind the pulse duration up, eventually, it backs the pulse power down.

At 8ms pulses, its down to 60W, which again, you have to take the calibration factor into account. 60W/ 8ms / 20pps = 9.6W average

Its the later ALE with the ribbon cable, so a bit tricky to get at the lamp current.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00042.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	28839

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Highest figure I can get on screen is 80W, in pulse mode, when the system has been set up with the same 50% calibrator, so shoudl be getting 150W pulses.

The service engineers notes we found inside had a measurement of 34 watts CW at 28 amps lamp current when it was tested just 1 year ago
    I think this is where measuring pulses in Watts falls down... Joules makes much more sense
    34W "CW" @ 28A would be MUCH more believable if it was 34W Q-switched... (which it will have been!)

I want one.
    where do i get one please?
    its the most impresive laser on here cool.
    looks dangerous in the wroung hands i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by resonator View Post
    I want one.
    where do i get one please?
    its the most impresive laser on here cool.
    looks dangerous in the wroung hands i guess.
    +1 Troll
    Ding ding