Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Corning G-1000 module

Great progress. Thanks for the info.
    leading in trailing technology

i too have two units on order now, im hoping these lil greens will run SLM. I suspect the part in the Photo labled"?"is actually an etalon? an easy test would be to heat the crystal using a hair dryer and some type of cone to direct the heat to the crystal only. this way you could try various temps and make thermal recordings using IR therma camera/probe. my hope is the green will be good for recording holograms ....as the red and blue units work(with some tuning) as well !

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by holokidd View Post
    i too have two units on order now, im hoping these lil greens will run SLM. I suspect the part in the Photo labled"?"is actually an etalon? an easy test would be to heat the crystal using a hair dryer and some type of cone to direct the heat to the crystal only. this way you could try various temps and make thermal recordings using IR therma camera/probe. my hope is the green will be good for recording holograms ....as the red and blue units work(with some tuning) as well !
    It might be a etalon, but since it is unheated, and has poor postioning accuracy, I doubt its a very good one. I'd lean towards a tuned element of another sort, or a polarizer but not a BRF.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-29-2011 at 10:34.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    It might be a etalon, but since it is unheated, and has poor postioning accuracy, I doubt its a very good one. I'd lean towards a tuned element of another sort, or a polarizer but not a BRF.

Steve
    why would you say if it is a etalon you doubt its a good one?

these lasers need very narrow linewidth to stay in focus over long distances and some how they are doing it. with the advances in micro robotics i dont think alighnments would be an issue ........ as soon as i get my grubby little hands on one we will see! The Coherent sapphire lasers use a block/etalon in the cavity as well, the newer models use two etalons (it sounds like a belt and suspenders to me!)

some informations for you:

Wavelenght: 530nm
    output Power: >46mW
    Threshold current: 0.18A
    operating current: 0.45A
    operating temperature: 20-60°C
    beam diameter: 0.1mm
    divergence: ~15mrad
    Raise and fall time: 10-15ns (the module is made for highspeed modulating at xx MHz!!) it is not made for CW!!
    Heater Resistance: 32Ohm (it is a PTC)

drive the Heater with constant VOLTAGE! but the voltage is for every Module individual, so you have to try which value makes best output!
    maximal current for the heater is: 50mA
    maximal voltage for the heater is: 5V

good luck! :-)

Good Info Vakuum ! Thank you, how may i ask did you get this info, Corning's been tighter than a clam with thier info on these .............. they said the new G-2000 has 20% better linewidth than the G-1000 (20% of what?LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by holokidd View Post
    why would you say if it is a etalon you doubt its a good one?

these lasers need very narrow linewidth to stay in focus over long distances and some how they are doing it. with the advances in micro robotics i dont think alighnments would be an issue ........ as soon as i get my grubby little hands on one we will see! The Coherent sapphire lasers use a block/etalon in the cavity as well, the newer models use two etalons (it sounds like a belt and suspenders to me!)
    Because its highly irregular to just "glue down" a etalon, and even more highly irregular to not heat one. While I'm used to working on them in one meter cavities, we always heat them, and we can precisely tune their tilt. The amount of tilt is very important, and they are very sensitive to it.

If its just acting as a mode filter, um, maybe its a etalon, but I'm not so sure why one would want such high loss in such a short cavity. Your usually 30-50% down in power when you use one. Besides, its not between the Bragg Grating and the LD. SO it depends on how much 1064 is fed back through the DBG.

I could tell rather quickly if I had a open module here, and could run some tests.

Its not heated, its not on a piezo, so its purely academic at this time. Lets call it a tuning or isolation element, until some one with a mode analyser can mess with it. (Me, Sam Goldwasser , Some of the Europeans, a few of the Holo guys) It really would not surprise me if its a quarter wave plate to get rid of "The Noise Problem" as its known in intracavity frequency doubling.

If that makes extremely stable fringes that shift like crazy while the amplitude of the laser stays basically constant, when just a very slight force is applied to it, its probably a etalon. However the laser video guys want to BREAK coherence before it hits a SLM, so they dont get fringes.

So in other words, I doubt its a etalon, but there is a 10-20% chance I'm wrong.

Steve

Apologies for a 'null' post, but I just *had* to keep a track on this thread
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

In the recent past i was able to run thr JDS 532nmn DPSS lasers (@ lower powers) with out any cooling/heating, so its really possible/probable these crystals are warmed slightly (constant) as i see no thermisistor.

yes i too have a Scanning Fabry Peroit Interferometer, But at the present time im lacking Green mirrors to test these so ill revert to my old way to test for SLM by making a hologram w/it.

The main intrest for these lasers is for display technologhy, but if these are used in conjunction w/ a holographic combinder(future systems like Blue Light Optics) it will be nessary to run very narrow-line, i think thats why the new G-2000 has an even finer linewidth.

no doubt these lasers wou'nt stand a chance when the new green direct diodes come out later next year ................. Dave

Holokid, if yours is a homemade FP, I can probably dish up some BG mirrors from the box of 250 ion optics.

Steve