Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Corning G-1000 module

Quote Originally Posted by holokidd View Post
    What will you be driving it with?
    Basically, I will use an adjustable current source, build with some op amps.
    Were you able to test actual V/A delivered to the laser diode and heater ?
    No.
    PS im Known as "holomaker" on the holofourum .............
    I know. Hopefully, i will be able to post some pic in your thread about home-made components, these days.

Please excuse my short and elusive post, but here is 2:40 AM and I am really tired right now, I will get back tomorrow with more details.

Going to sleep now...

Default Corning Lasers

I thought I'd interject some knowledge about the Corning Green Lasers based on the discussion in this thread (which is fascinating, by the way).

Microvision did utilize the G-1000 laser modules in "some" on their product. This includes early-on shipping units and units shipped outside of the United States (possibly due to regulatory hurdles). Some of the pico-projectors floating around may have Corning's laser. The remaining projectors are using OSRAM solid state or otherwise. Newly produced projectors do not utilize Corning's laser since they have been discontinued due to native green laser availability.

The G-1000 and G-2000 are not the same. The technology in the G-2000 is significantly more advanced and designed for consumer based goods. They can be driven electrically in a similar fashion. Some of these lasers can achieve several hundred mW constant current mode (despite what the specs. say) if properly handled.

Corning's lasers are not easy to drive electrically. They require DBR dither, phase, and adaptive optics control. It is possible to drive the laser if the adaptive optics are properly aligned but changes in temperature, environment, etc could cause loss of alignment and an associated reduction in output power.
    With that said, the beam quality is excellent despite the rather complex electrical and physical requirements. As mentioned, they have been discontinued from production although some companies are actively buying stock due to the line width, coherence, beam quality, and tunability (for things such as Raman spectroscopy).

As you'd mentioned, the reduced pin devices are likely not to be Corning's G-1000 / G-2000 lasers.

Best regards and good luck.

where did I get my info? I have inside knowledge on the development of Corning's evaluation boards which, in turn, was utilized by MV as a guide to develop their products. One such evaluation board utilized the MAX3600.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkcow View Post
    sorry to mess up this thread, but the title is wrong. What you're discussing here is not a Corning G-1000. This laser is manufactured by OSRAM, they named it PL530... The Corning laser would have 10 pins and thus need lots more control loops to keep it running (http://spie.org/x39284.xml).
    So no wonder Corning isn't telling you anything about the insides - they don't know! ;-)

best wishes from Osram-country!

sharkcow
    Sharkcow, you are damn right. I opened my Uniden unit, manufactured February 2010 (although close to the green laser, there is year 2009), and I am shocked when saw this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corning G-1000.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	37284

Now, you lucky guys who have just four pins can run your green thing, but I should to deal with all of those 10 pins, but I have no pinout, and don't know what is what. Aside that, I tried to 'confuse' blue and red LD by attaching 220 nF capacitor in parallel - for a brief moment picture become blur (only color of confused diode), but after second or two device shut down with red diode blinking alarming error. After off/on, it bring to life again. Seems that DS1 diode checking whether all three lasers working properly and has good modulation and are well synchronized with the MEMS.

Now I have great doubt whether it is worth to teardown whole unit, or just finding video adapter (and perhaps VGA adapter as well) and use this device as an projector.

Best--
    milan
    ---

Just keep it as a projector.
    See that single trace in the lower right hand corner? That is a photo diode. It watches the modulation and looks for anything out of spec.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.