Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for another noob... :) re: jaycar sl3438

Default Help for another noob... :) re: jaycar sl3438

I have no experience with laser... I am wanting to laser on to a building and outline it. I saw the jaycar sl3438 which you can create characters with ILDA software. I guess what I am asking is... is there gear/software easy for a beginner that could acheive outlining a small building? Cheers for any help. I really appreciate it. (Always hard asking when you're a booN)

Hi there and welcome to PL!

I think we'd need more information on the laser you intend to use and the size of the building... But I'd be reluctant to recommend anything without knowing the laws regarding laser displays in NZ.
    I know here in the UK, using lasers for public display is covered by a fair amount of government safety regulations as is America and most of Europe... Even more so for anything outside.

Hopefully, someone with more experience and in your hemisphere will jump in soon and help you out...

But I thought I'd be the first to say Welcome!
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Thanks for the welcome. ...and thanks for being kind even though this must be the basic of basic questions. This is a house size building. Great to know there are rules etc... around lasers. May be easier to stick with projector. I was thinking of doing a mix of both... I will hunt around the internet to see if I can see the rules. Sorry I forgot to add the link. This is obviously a cheapo... but also wondering about the software they mention and what it does. I wrote to a couple of them weeks ago but no reply... http://tinyurl.com/7ztep3w

Don't waste your time with that Jaycar projector. It will disappoint on so many levels...

For what your after, an expensive laser with good software is really required. Perhaps you can hire?
    This space for rent.

So can you give me details of what to ask for? Maybe I could buy the software suited... do the programming side of things then hire the laser...

I've just got a demo version of Pangolin QuickShow...

Seems pretty good so far. Mostly self explanatory basic functions for the inbuilt graphics and a huge pile of support and YouTube video tutorials on how to use the more complex stuff.
    There's plenty of other stuff out there though if you don't want to shell out the $$ for Pangolin.
    LSX, Spaghetti, Moncha, Pheonix, Laserboy... there's a pretty complete list on the forum somewhere.
    Software ranges from free to 1000's of $$. Hardware ranges from build it yourself to again many 1000's of $$.

I think it's mostly about personal choice, budget and how you work...

Laser wise... You want to outline the whole side of a house?
    Do you mean as in draw a line around the edge of the walls/windows/doors/roof as in a kid's pencil cartoon of a house?
    Is it a big house?
    How far away are you going to put your laser?
    These are all questions that need to be answered before anyone can really advise on what sort of laser you want.

Sorry if I just seem to keep asking you questions...

Don't be sorry, I really appreciate the time you are taking...
    Yes, outline like a kids drawing. It's to the side of a reception room at the front of a complex...
    The building is the size of a 3 bedrom home. One storey high and approx. 20 metres across
    I can put the laser any distance away.

Rob (Stanwax) gave a superb demo of building mapping at a recent UKLEM.

Basically, he took a photograph of the building and chalked a cross on the ground at the exact position the photograph was taken from.

He then used this photograph as a background in the laser software (QuickShow, I think). He then drew around the parts of the building where he wanted the lasers to show (using the photograph as guidance) and dropped the whole lot into a cue.

Next he took the laser projector outside and placed in in the exact spot from where he took the original photograph. The projector was switched on and the cue selected.. Viola... the mapping was on the building in laser light in no time at all, and it only required minimal adjustment to create a stunning effect.

I'm sure there are photo's around somewhere of this in action.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

OK

So you could probably draw the outline with just about any software mentioned above, but getting it to actually line up on your building is going to take some time to get right!

Laser wise it'd have to have really good galvos to draw an image 20m across or be over 40 meters away and thus a pretty powerful laser. Also don't forget that anything in between the laser unit and the house will be in danger of getting scanned, so no pets or public in this area.
    Additionally it might be wise to cover any windows with a non reflective film just in case the laser misses the frame and scans the window. You don't want anyone inside to be blinded and you don't want stray beams bouncing off into who knows where!

If you can hire the laser, then the hire company should be able to give you all the advice you need on safety and local legislation. I know there's a few guys from NZ on here as well... I'm surprised they haven't piped up on this thread yet to be honest,,, :

Hope that's more helpful

Jem, I think what you refer to is 3/4 of the way down this page I've linked to

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...er-2011/page12

Are Rob is special
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts