Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 3D Software to Create ILD Frames

Default Best 3D Software to Create ILD Frames

Hello all, I currently own a copy of QuickShow+FB3 and also the ILD SOS software and I was wondering what is the best software to use to create (real) 3D rotating ILD files?

A while back I gave someone on this forum a scanned image of a logo and they extruded it to give it depth and then made it animated so it rotates a full 360 degrees. I would like the ability to do this on my own without having to learn to use 3D Studio all over again (I used it last when it was a DOS program lol)

SEE ATTACHED - I would like the ability to make 3D spinning logos like the one I attached to this post. I also have a client who manufactures custom motorcycles (Amazing: www.travertson.com) and he gave me the DXF file of the bike in 3D and wants me to create a rotating laser display file. I do have AutoCAD installed but there is no easy way to smoothly 'track' around the object. I just need a simple 3D program that can rotate an object and export the frames to BMP so I can then make an ILD animation. Side note: Is this how it is done? It would be GREAT to have an all-in-one program that renders directly to the ILD format.

Any suggestions please? Your help is greatly appreciated!

- Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Drop a PM to Pieter (MasterPJ). He seems to be one of the resident 3D Guru's around here.

I'm guessing he may suggest the 3D feature in Pangolin's 'Beyond' software though

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hello Paul,

Hahaha good old DOS 3D studio (when 3ds max was 3D studio yes)

Real 3D ilda are basicly never used, it's not point efficient and will not work good on a lot of software.
    Basicly we create the 3D in 3D software and then we spit out a 2D ilda which has all the 3D perspectives flattened (Though we consider this the proper 3D ilda and also call it 3D ilda) and it will also look the right 3D we want, while still being efficient.

Other then Pangolin's LC-max and pangolin's cinema 4D converter (and 3D converter from lasergraph DSP which is very expensive) there is no program that can render an 3D scene Directly to ilda
    But 3ds max with the illustrate plugin and ild sos can still do the job for you.
    BEYOND 3D as of now wont work with the fb3 other then the QM2000 and as you need this done now this isn't an option for you.

Also dont output .BMP, you want to use .dxf output from illustrate in your case
    Question: Do you have the Illustrate plugin? If not: send me a PM

Note about models provided by someone else, which are not made for laser: They might be too complex to be scanned in laser or have creases or other things.
    3D to Laser is a very picky process I can elaborate why, but I don't think it's really necessary.
    If this is the case, you might want to allow me to remake the whole 3D model, but it costs me time thus money so I likely have to charge you if this is the case.

Best regards,

Pieter

Thank you so much for the information! Yesterday I installed Rhino 3D and it has an easy to use 'Turntable Animate' option which renders to a series of BMP files. It is a rather complex 3D model of a concept motorcycle (that just went into production) and I simply want to spin the object and capture the outline. I experimented with a few rendered frames and used the Quick Trace 'Highlight Seperation' mode in Pangolin QuickShow. The results so far are very impressive! Only problem is that I will have to manually Quick Trace all the frames in the animation series.

I am going to try 3DS Max next, can you please direct me to where I can download the illustrate plugin? Also, what version of 3DS Max are you running?

Much appreciated, see attached for a screenshot of the bike in Rhino 3D...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v-rex_render.jpg  

Last edited by PaulZimm; 11-24-2011 at 06:49.

I know Rhino 3D, to be honest I really don't like that 3D program, but alright.
    I will PM you details on how to get the illustrate plugin, I myself use 3ds max 2011 but am on the verge of adding 2012 to my collection.
    ( i also have 2010 and used to have older versions but dont use those anymore )

The model is very complex, so only outline could work.

Ok the best way to get 3d logos & animations into ILDA..
    use a 3d Program Like Xara3d or any other do the animation in that then export it to a gif animation set ur animations to around 10 fps
    then use: http://www.xoyosoft.com/gs/download/gs.zip to split the frames into separate gifs
    then use Vectorize batch to make the ilda file All done very easy
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...3&d=1271065052

Here are 3 demo gif animations converted to ilda @ 10 fps
    http://atomic-inc.co.uk/3dilda.rar
    Last edited by mickzone; 03-28-2012 at 18:23.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i've been using lightwave3d to do my renders, batch converting the rendered frames to svgs, and then converting them into ilda anims with ildsos. it works quite well.

here's some information about the process:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...326#post223326
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

You can also use the 3DS plugin illustrate! to render to DXFs and then use ILD SOS to convert them to ILDA files with good success.

Beyond 3D now works with the FB3 so you could simply upgrade from QS to Beyond and forget ILDA. I doubt you'd regret it although the 3D version is quite expensive.

PJ can tell you about Beyond 3D in private. I simply don't have a clue, I just look at it and think that's pretty I wonder how you use it!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i can not recommend you use pangolin tools that don't feature ilda export. i do not agree with the pangolin philosophy of trying to kill ilda by locking you into their proprietary format. i can't condone that behavior by an industry leader.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Beyond 3D now works with the FB3 so you could simply upgrade from QS to Beyond and forget ILDA. I doubt you'd regret it although the 3D version is quite expensive.

PJ can tell you about Beyond 3D in private. I simply don't have a clue, I just look at it and think that's pretty I wonder how you use it!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.