Thread: Hotter beams

Default Hotter beams

Quick hot beam question.

Traditionally a hot beam is 2 frame points instead of 1.

Is there any reason why you couldn't have a hotter beam by eg using 4,6 or even 8 points?

I am of course talking overhead here.

Traditionally a hot beam is 2 frame points instead of 1.
    Is it?

Is there any reason why you couldn't have a hotter beam by eg using 4,6 or even 8 points?
    Have you tried it to see?

Have you ever seen the LivePro targetted beam setup window window?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Is it?

Have you tried it to see?

Have you ever seen the LivePro targetted beam setup window window?
    In the workspace's I have it seems hot beams are usually 2 points.

I don't have my laser working except on graphics at the moment as I have no hazer and the reflectance of 2.8 Watts from a wall 2.5m away is so bright it's very difficult to assess changes in brightness. Some colours as spots eg whites and yellows actually hurt to look at from that distance due to the brightness so trying to see any change through experimentation would be very difficult.

No, I don't have Live Pro so have never seen that window.

What I'm thinking about is whether its possible to make hot beams any hotter for eg outside situations so as to give max impact.

Hi Al

I believe that if you hold down the 'Ctrl' key whilst creating a beam point it will become a 'hot' beam (not sure how many points it will contain though).

I'm at the office right now so I can't check this, but i'm sure I didn't dream it
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Yeah I'm sure you're right Jem. I think it gives 2 points instead of one.

What I'm wondering though is can you have more than 2?

Does it make it any brighter or do other factors come into play eg the programme stopping them being overlaid or physical restrictions on the laser over scanning the same point?

Are there any safety considerations that stop people from doing this? (I'm imagining here that the spectral reflection from 2.8 watts viewed side on is not itself likely to be a problem, so just wondered if there was any other reason not to be doing this).

As you probably already know, I like to think outside the box (although sometimes it gets me flamed) and I don't just look at eg hot beams and accept them but rather think is there anything I can do to improve on that in a particular show by eg making them brighter.

In LP, in the beam targetting settings, the 'brightness' buttons relate to the number of points, and they are labelled 25, 50, 75 and 100 iirc. So yes, more = better although Pango monkeys around with some of that stuff to preserve brightness between frames etc. This is why there are override options on zones (in LP again, not sure how thats translated to QS, but I'm told they are similar behind the scenes, so should use common options)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    As you probably already know, I like to think outside the box (although sometimes it gets me flamed)
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Well you could all ways try turning the projector down in the software,then you could have a 500mw projector

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    In the workspace's I have it seems hot beams are usually 2 points.

I don't have my laser working except on graphics at the moment as I have no hazer and the reflectance of 2.8 Watts from a wall 2.5m away is so bright it's very difficult to assess changes in brightness. Some colours as spots eg whites and yellows actually hurt to look at from that distance due to the brightness so trying to see any change through experimentation would be very difficult.

No, I don't have Live Pro so have never seen that window.

What I'm thinking about is whether its possible to make hot beams any hotter for eg outside situations so as to give max impact.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    Well you could all ways try turning the projector down in the software,then you could have a 500mw projector
    I know but the green isn't modulating well. KVANT have very kindly promised me a replacement greenie under warranty in January.