Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHOWWX from Woot

Default SHOWWX from Woot

So yesterday I got home from work to find my package from Woot. I had to sit on my thumbs until I got through dinner and helping my son with his chemistry homework but eventually I got to open the package! Gratification had to be delayed yet again when I realized that the battery needed a minimum of 4 hours to charge. I left it charging overnight and finally got to play with my new toy today! I have to say that it's a pretty amazing piece of technology. The colors are vivid and bright and I love the constant focus. There is a little laser speckle, but for someone who loves lasers anyway, I don't find it offensive or distracting. It would be nice if it would eek out a few more lumens (mine is the 10 lumen version) but all in all I'm happy with my purchase. It's a hell of a value at ~$100 bucks (I would never have spent the ~$500 they wanted when it first came to market). Anybody else get one of these (I know you did Jem), and if so, what's your impression?
    Ron

Bought one 3 weeks ago, still waiting for it! GAH! Any day now

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Got mine two days ago. Same thing... unpacked and immediately charged the battery and had to wait a while to test 'er out. It's a little limiting at this point since I only have an iPhone and it only works with iPods and iPads. I was able to hook it up to my video camera through the composite connector and look at that a little. Haven't hooked it up to anything else yet. I'm wondering how much the VGA dock costs. Maybe that's where they getcha. All in all, a neat little toy for $100. And will probably end up collecting dust just like many of the other neat little toys. It's pretty bright with a decent picture in a dark space but, you want the ambient light pretty low for any distance. Interesting wavelengths on the diodes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I'm wondering how much the VGA dock costs. Maybe that's where they getcha.
    I ended up ordering the VGA dock from an outfit on ebay that ships from the UK. They charged me $35 with free shipping. Only ordered that today.

Got mine Saturday. Tore into the box like a pack of rabid wolves, didn't bother with the battery just plugged in the power supply.
    Plugged it into my iPhone and played with the video for about 1/2 hour. Video looks like a a first gen mems laser display not great, really dim, but for what it is (a stepping stone) looks great.
    Think I have the green pretty much figured out. Next step is to ditch the electronics and fire up the module by itself...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0355.JPG  

DSC_0368.JPG  

DSC_0402.JPG  

DSC_0406.JPG  

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hah... That didn't take long to fall into bits

I'm watching your work with great interest. If those beams are able to be tamed for good divergence and modulation my prayers for a minature desktop abstract projector may be answered

Keep up the good work.

Jon is acting as intermediary for my projector, hopefully it won't be too long.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Got mine today ... after 3 weeks .... and it's failed.

Just my luck, ffs

Laser Warning

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    ...my projector, hopefully it won't be too long.
    It's here! ...But, I'm an idiot, and had @$$umed woot would send an email with tracking... buut, they didn't, and I took their word that the puppy would ship in '5 biz days', so, I figured 'today / tomorrow'... well, I see now they attempted a deliv. (Doh!) and I wasn't at the shop today, and apparently, Herr Spec was sleeping er sumthin, so... it sits in the post till the 'morrow... So, I shall rescue it 'post-haste' (har, har... and send it hither, at light-speed..

...and, Chad - you are my hero for posting that shot of the beamlet thru the diff-glasses, Lol...

peas...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

What is wrong with it?

After you hit the power button it has a cdrh delay. So make sure you wait a little. Also remove the bat and power, wait a bit then plug in the power and try again.

Thought I had killed mine but it came back to life.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Its no longer accepting any sort of video input.

It turns on fine etc,

When i first got it, I connected it to my iPod, and my normal desktop computer, all good.

This afternoon I tried to connect it to my eeepc, but it kept giving me "video not supported".

Kept trying, eventually it ended up just displaying 3 blue vertical lines.

So I went to try it on my iPod again, I don't get the "ready to use" anymore, and all it projects is a dim white flashing line at the bottom, and nothing else. (It still projects the splash screen fine)

Tried taking the battery out for a while, still nothing.