Thread: Transparent Projection Screen

Default Transparent Projection Screen

Hello, I have a 3 watt RRGB laser projector I custom built and I am looking for a semi-transparent (mesh?) projection screen. Ideally it would have a "hem line" at the top so I could easily attach and remove it from drop ceilings with clips when I do laser shows. Thanks in advance...

Lightbulb

Hi PZ -

Quote Originally Posted by PaulZimm View Post
    Ideally it would have a "hem line" at the top so I could easily attach and remove it from drop ceilings with clips when I do laser shows.
    Call up David Ways at 'Skeeta', http://www.skeeta.com/ ...tell him 'Jon from DayStar Lasers sent you', and you want a 'Standard (tell him size..) Indoor Laser Scrim', with top/bottom pockets, no 'corner-reinforcements' (..those are for 'Outdoor' scrims - see here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...chmentid=13204 )

..you might also wanna check-out this 'Group', where we will all post-pix, to demo how it looks indoor and out, from time to time... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/group.php?groupid=2

PS - Clamps for 'drop ceilings' - these woodworking clamps http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...p-66971257.jpg *rock* cause they have a little 'groove', that, when opened, 'bites' perfectly around the standard drop-ceiling track, and holds nice and secure... especially with 'skeeta', since the stuff is featherweight...

..To rig, just zip-tie the scrim to a top-bar - 1/2" square alum-tube works-well, with very-little 'bow' even over 10'+, and 'drop' from the clamps , with standard 'rigging tie-off line'.. then, down-below, insert your 'baseline pipe', even PVC is fine / plenty of weight, and if you want to 'smooth-out more', just slip some small cylindrical weight in the ends / rebar, etc - no need for 'iron pipe' to weight it...

Njoy...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-27-2011 at 18:27. Reason: ps
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

EXCELLENT - That is exactly what I need to know! Much appreciated my friend

Ordered a 9' x 9' indoor screen, Mr. Skeeta was very helpful and got back with me right away. Thanks again Jon!!!

DSLI thanks for the lead to the skeeta site, do you know if they will make them round?

U betcha, Gents...

RE: Round... dunno, but - they make tents and 'ponchos' / jackets for the military, etc, so, clearly they're experts at 'odd shapes'... The stuff does 'stretch', a little, but, if you're thinking to, ie: 'fit to a frame', etc, it could prolly be done - within 'limits' - won't be like 'Transformit' / spandex, etc.. but... well, there you go...

ciao
    j

PS - ..another 'pro-tip'... - ask for a small scrap (ie: 1' x 2', etc) that you can take with you to gigs, that way, if Fire Marshal Bill shows-up, and asks about 'fire rating', you can allow him to 'flame-test' - your scrap vs your scrim... - Afaik, it's not *certified* flameproof - I don't believe David, there, has ever submitted it for-such, cuz, well, before we designed it-up, 'theater scrims' weren't really a product of-his ..but it does 'self-extinguish', which is most times, 'good enough' / pass for the Marshals... ...You live and you learn...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-28-2011 at 21:59. Reason: ps
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...