Thread: Volkslaser Megalase/Alphalase...any thoughts on these products

Default Volkslaser Megalase/Alphalase...any thoughts on these products

I have the opportunity to buy one of the following;

1) Megalase RGB - 600mW total (high of red350, green120, blue150 @ 405nm), 25kpps closed loop galvos------> for $700
    2) Megalase L RGB - 750mW total (high of red350, green150, blue250 @ 450nm), 25kpps closed loop galvos------> for $1,050
    3) Alphalase RGB - 1200mW total (high of red500, green300, blue400 @ 445nm), 30kpps closed loop galvos---------> for $1,650

My thinking here is the Alpha is a bit out of my price range so, I wanted to purchase the Megalase and upgrade the blue. What would it cost to change out the blue to a brighter blue diode and can it be done easily?

The other question is...what is the reputation of these folks? They are from Medialas which I believe makes pretty decent stuff.

I'm also considaring the same basic unit from either Spacelas or LaserKing...better or worse?

All feedback is greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

F7

The blue is about as cheap as you can get to change out. So cost of blue I'd put at say $350 to change to about 1watt. But that will put your white balance off........Don't go for anything with 405nm.

Here is my order of trust for the china sellers. Lightspace, Spacelas, Golden Star Stage Lighting.

1. You're in the US so non of these are legal for anything other than private use unless they varianced which I doubt (you can't always believe manufacturers claims here and need to check with the FDA). They may even get seized at customs if you're unlucky and confiscated before you receive them if they're not varianced.

2. Red appears to be 650nm. You may not get the full 350mw power out, it depends on whether the power was measured at the aperture or by the module - 650nm is very fat and so often the beam is larger than the scanner mirrors so some gets lost. You may end up losing 1/2 the red power inside the projector if its been measured for power internally.

I would have been tempted towards NRG at this end of the market as they're an ILDA member and from the couple of units tested on here some while ago, were quite good quality considering their price point and bearing in mind you do get what you pay for. However, they're also not varianced to my knowledge (so same import risks and restrictions on use) and an 800mw analogue unit is well out of your price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-800mW-RG...item19c35a1c0a

or with Quickshow included:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-800mW-RG...item19c35a1c08

BTW if you get QS you want to check you're getting the FB3-QS and not any other older version.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    1. You're in the US so...
    Yeeeup. ...My thoughts? Scratch all of those and giddyup in talking to X-Laser... you'll get a better product, better support, and get 'steered-straight', legally, right outta the gate...

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...