Thread: Wireless Control of Lasers

Default Wireless Control of Lasers

Have any of you tried this or know of any products? A cheap way that I was thinking of doing this is having my phone use remote desktop software connected to a WLAN that my laptop is on. My laptop would be running QS and connected to the FB3. This way I could walk around if I needed to and not loose control of a show. I realize this could cause a delay, any thoughts on this?
    Thanks
    -Eighty8
    -----------------------------------------------
    Projectors:
    1x 500mW RGV TTL - Work in progress (red 650nm@200mW/green 532nm 100mW/violet 405nm@200mW)
    3x 1W RGB Analog - Work in progress (red 650nm@500mW/green 532nm@200mW/blue 445nm @300mW)

Controllers:
    Phoenix Live 3
    QS 2.0/FB3-XE
    -----------------------------------------------

2 words

Emergency stop

But yes, you can use VNC in the way you describe, and it does work, and people have done it.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Yes, I tested VNC on a Samsung Galaxy S II phone at a gig last weekend.

As Adam points out, you still require the E-Stop to be by your side so be warned...
    This space for rent.

shouldn't emergency stop be builtin the projector? if galvos stop or whatnot, diodes should shutdown. I mean what's the point in having a button for 1 projector, i can understand this with setups of 5 or so where you need to shut them down fast all at once
    thanks for your views in advance

Maybe something like this could work if you don't want your computer to be sitting up in the truss somewhere

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4505

shouldn't emergency stop be builtin the projector? if galvos stop or whatnot, diodes should shutdown. I mean what's the point in having a button for 1 projector, i can understand this with setups of 5 or so where you need to shut them down fast all at once
    Scanfail and e-stop are 2 different things, although can be tied into each other. They are built into the projector, but need to be able to be activated remotely.
    Scanfail is automatic in the event a galvo fails, and will shut down the lasers and/or drop a shutter.
    e-stop is user activated, and will do the same as the scanfail device when the button is pressed.

It should affect all projectors connected on the same ILDA run (e.g. they should all share the same interlock loop, so will all shutdown if the interlock loop is broken)
    You could have a fancy button to shut down all projectors on multiple DACs but personally I'd use one per DAC
    Frikkin Lasers

Seen this on Pangolins Facebook the other day:

"Use QuickShow or BEYOND and you can control your lasers from an iPad 2 like this! - We have a official manual showing you how to do this. Email Justin (Justin@pangolin.com) to get your copy."

So I emailed Justin ,not had a reply just yet, so was wondering if any of you guys knew what the offical manual contains ????

Fully aware of VNC and RD for remote control and intrigued as to what this could be

I suspect it may just be instructions how to set up VNC.
    Frikkin Lasers

thats what i thought and commented, this was the reply

"Pangolin Systems: We offer two ways to control LivePRO, QS and BEYOND with iPad and iPhone. One way is with VNC, but another way is with native apps. We have a document which shows how to do it all, and we have the apps as well."

So guess native apps could just mean Remote Desktop ?