Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Riya DAC Small Review

^^ This is a good resolution.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I have had no issues with my Riya multi-bus micro, and I have had it around 2 years. In fact it is being used by a member right now to play some great shows using LSX. Ihor makes good stuff and has a decent price, I am glad it is available or I would have never had a working DAC.

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 12-22-2011 at 21:08. Reason: make != play 'doh
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Isn't it possible to replace the 'pig-tail' style cable with just a female USB (type B) inside the box? Or would that make the DAC more expensive?

Stoney,
    thanks you for you opinion,
    it will not more expensive, but:
    we analysed setting of USB-B connector directly to PC board within developing.
    Arguments against this idea:
    - we wanted to make VERY compact device. As you can see, we have done it: I have not seen controllers from other manufacturers in similar size. For us was very complicate to set on this little PCboard all these electronic components; is used two-side mounting of components. We have not free space, and is impossible to set so big component as USB-B connector on PCboard (his size is 17% of PCboard ) (look photo please)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1443.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	29624
    - in really live: if we will have connected to little box to one side thick and hard DB-25 (ILDA) cable, and to second side USB (male-female) - it will have low reliability: USB connection can be easily damaged.
    Therefore we used 'pig-tail' style cable.
    I will repeat: we changed type of cable, and should be excluded this problem in future.

Hey Borg, your review is fair but I think your verdict in bold is a little harsh when glancing over the review. Basically you advise people something based on the experience of one. Given the niche market and the potential damage such a statment can make to a business it would be wise to include EDIT 2 in a milder verdic since Ihor is addressing the issue and working with the community to get things resolved (and keep his well working product at a very reasonable price!!). Simply based on my experience, also the experience of one, I would say GO FOR IT ;-) since I had a good experience with both Ihor and this product.

I use the USB ports on my laptop A LOT at work, a lot of our products are USB connected. The USB ports on the laptop have worn to the point that in normal use the USB connection can be dropped by just a small amount of movement of the connector.

I have one USB port that I don't use in my normal day (its actually a combo socket providing USB and eSata on an Thinkpad) so I always use that for my main DB3 DAC connection as the socket is not worn. I only have 1 other good USB port, it has a tiny Bluetooth/Mouse dongle fitted on a semi-permanent basis.
    This space for rent.

Hi just to let you know i have one of the improved USB connector Riya lite USB . It works perfectly with no connection issues . I also bought it in the UK from Laser electronics as Ihor has brought some stock into the uk .

Aaron

I too have suffered the usb dropout problem on both of my Riya lite DACS and this is how I fixed it.
    First, go out and buy a good thick usb cable.. I used usb v.1.0 cables as the gauge of wire is about 14ga wire compared to the 20ga in the Chicom wires on the DAC. Snap open the riya lite case ( opens easy ) and with a needle tip solder gun, carefully un silder the wires from the DAC. twist the new ends of the new usb cable tightly ( as the thicker gauge wire will not want to poke through those teeny holes) re solder insulate ( I used a daub of hot glue because of the removal of the strain relief) and wah LA!! no more DAC issues!. i would like to thank DR.Lava for informing me of the usb cord being feable. This was an easy fix for me...
    Side notes on the riya lite DAC.
    Before re-wiring, the slightest noise in the power would stall the DAC.. eg; having a smoke machine power cycle on the same circut. When the smoke machine went into standbuy mode ( heater automaticly regulating ) the power spike would hang the DAC and could only be reset by unplugging the usb side of the DAC. With the very small gauge of wire, ( Im guessing) allows for a micro spike or drop in voltage. With the beefy gauge usb cable this problem was eliminated. I was also a shielded USB cable where as the riya lite cable is not.
    Pleased with the new config!!!

For that NEEDS Riyalasers to be responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuphotonix View Post
    I too have suffered the usb dropout problem on both of my Riya lite DACS and this is how I fixed it.
    First, go out and buy a good thick usb cable.. I used usb v.1.0 cables as the gauge of wire is about 14ga wire compared to the 20ga in the Chicom wires on the DAC. Snap open the riya lite case ( opens easy ) and with a needle tip solder gun, carefully un silder the wires from the DAC. twist the new ends of the new usb cable tightly ( as the thicker gauge wire will not want to poke through those teeny holes) re solder insulate ( I used a daub of hot glue because of the removal of the strain relief) and wah LA!! no more DAC issues!. i would like to thank DR.Lava for informing me of the usb cord being feable. This was an easy fix for me...
    Side notes on the riya lite DAC.
    Before re-wiring, the slightest noise in the power would stall the DAC.. eg; having a smoke machine power cycle on the same circut. When the smoke machine went into standbuy mode ( heater automaticly regulating ) the power spike would hang the DAC and could only be reset by unplugging the usb side of the DAC. With the very small gauge of wire, ( Im guessing) allows for a micro spike or drop in voltage. With the beefy gauge usb cable this problem was eliminated. I was also a shielded USB cable where as the riya lite cable is not.
    Pleased with the new config!!!

Just curious why every time my light- o-Rama software scans for light control units it reprograms my riya completely and all offsets need resetting. Shouldn't you be using a better signed chip or something?
    leading in trailing technology