Thread: 'Pro-Rider' Safety Glasses do an impressive job of quenching 445...

Lightbulb 'Pro-Rider' Safety Glasses do an impressive job of quenching 445...

Hey Kats -

So, had a small show back in Nov, where we had to do a 'scanned effect' down the face and body of a performer. DETOUR: This was a strictly-controlled, highly-rehearsed, tested-eye-safe effect, for a closed-set Corp-theater event - no 'general public', *not* some 'Krazy German Disco' where we shot Conan and his guests in the eyes / face.. kaay??

...Now, point was, the Client-team insisted on not using 'typical', clunky / lab-looking laser-goggles, since this was supposed to be simming a 'futuristic-lab scene', so, it had to "look slick..".. but, of course, we-insisted, that, even-if the performer, well-informed / rehearsed, and either closing-eyes and/or 'looking-down', as the scanned-line effect swept him, and with eye-area contact: prolly all-of 0.25 sec. or less - *had* to have laser-attenuating eye-ware.. So, how to achieve 'high-tech / fashionable-look + safety', was the challenge...

Scoured all the usual resources, places we've bought ours (..which, Client rejected the style-of, all..), Kentek, etc, looked at 'mirrored' / neutral-density filtered lenses, etc, etc... then, 'just for kicks' / alternate-thinking, searched for 'UV-protection safety-glasses', and came up with these, off an eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Rider-IR...-/330525386665 ...

..now, while, yes, they are "ANSI Z87.1-compliant" as safety glasses, that's NOT the same as *true* laser-safety glasses... still, thought I'd just see 'how they did', attenuating a few hundred mW of 532, scanned, from 50-60', etc - which - exclusively for the purposes / under the circumstances of our controlled-environment effect - did just fine, about OD 5 @ 532... BUT - and this is really what this 'review' is more-about... at *least* OD 7-8 @ 445! They attenuate I'd say about 95%+ of it...

..I italic'd "I'd say", because this is *strictly a visual-assessment* - these have NOT - I repeat, NOT been 'officially'-tested with known / accepted-practices / measured for actual attenuation / transmission @ 445... but I can say this - I shot them with a solid 2W of 445, at close-range, ~4", and - yes, it began to knarl / melt the plastic after a couple-secs - but it effectively stopped the beam, cold - enough to-where, I'd feel comfortable 'endorsing them', certainly vs nothing, and... waaay-better than some of the cockamamie-ideas posted on 'youtube' and such - like using 'par-can gels', OMG-stupid!!!

So, once I get the time - or, perhaps someone with the time - and who can methodically-test these, for actual, measured attenuation / transmission-specs @ 445, for powers up-to, say, 4-5 Watts of Blue, since we are-seeing some DIYers *using* that much power, in-here.. (..who'd'v thunk, eh? and, perhaps plotted on a graph, etc / posted for all to see.. THEN, we can perhaps make a better / more 'official' recommendation - or not - of these as "445-safety glasses"... I hereby reserve the right to 'revise my statements / findings', above, once officially / properly-tested...

..but, like I said, I feel fine reporting them to ya'll - initially - as being quite-impressively quenching at 445... ..at least 'better than nothing', for those that cannot afford, right-now, true Broadband-low laser safety-glasses...'only' $385. a pop...

OK, let the darts-fly...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

OK, some quickie test-data:

Test-bed: 2 Watts, 445nm, ~5" from test-glasses, ~90˚ angle of-incidence (straight-on beam-shot..)... Meter used: (calibrated...) Synrad PowerWizard 250..

Test: Meters used: (all calibrated...) Coherent 'Powercheck' dialed-in for 445; Newport 815, w/ down-to 1µW-sensitive head

Attenuation thru the glasses, 1 sec. exposure: 0.4 mW (!); 5 sec. exposure: 0.7 mW; 10 sec. exposure: 0.85 mW.. I did test to 30 sec., but did not measure it -
    I mean, who is going to be shooting 2 Watts of 445 straight into their eye for +30 sec... if-so, they're prolly already dead, and it won't matter... ...I could not get the beam to 'blow-thru' the glasses.. it did melt / blister / bubble-up, but in 1-min+ did not 'go thru'...

..Again, I'd see these being good for anyone that is working with 2-5+ Watts of 445, if for nothing else, a 'just in case'-level of protection... If anyone is interested in volunteering to do a more 'methodical' test, lemme know and I'll send ya a pair...

And, No, I am not 'selling these', this is simply FWIW...
    j

Jon have you tested the broadband glasses from Laserwave?

Be interesting to see the results.

I bought a pair of these off Rob a few weeks ago, they're nice and cheap at around $60 equivalent and so far as I can tell with no test equipment, seem to be quite effective at reducing a white beam down to a very low level (I haven't directly scanned myself for obvious reasons) but just looking back down the beam whilst off axis towards the laser, its certainly much reduced in brightness with no particular colour standing out.

You're probably not going to model for FHM or Vogue in them but then again...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Attenuation thru the glasses, 1 sec. exposure: 0.4 mW (!); 5 sec. exposure: 0.7 mW; 10 sec. exposure: 0.85 mW.. I did test to 30 sec., but did not measure it -
    I mean, who is going to be shooting 2 Watts of 445 straight into their eye for +30 sec... if-so, they're prolly already dead, and it won't matter... ...I could not get the beam to 'blow-thru' the glasses.. it did melt / blister / bubble-up, but in 1-min+ did not 'go thru'...

..Again, I'd see these being good for anyone that is working with 2-5+ Watts of 445, if for nothing else, a 'just in case'-level of protection...
    And for 7 bucks these make the perfect Christmas gift for that 'special-someone'. Hey, they even look snappy enough worn as a pair of shades for a fashion statement!

Cool

Hey m8 -

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Jon have you tested the broadband glasses from Laserwave?...they're nice and cheap at around $60 equivalent...
    Nope, but they sound like they're worth a run, especially at that price! I assume when you say 'white', you're meaning, like, a 'typical RGB' wavelength-spread? Which would be good, since 445 is lower than an ion-head's more-typical-457.. but, I'd also be interested to see how it handles a 'true all-in-one' 9-11+ lines-beam, vs a converged 3 or 4... Thanks for the tip!

cheers...
    j