Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Winni@ goldenstarlighting.com

Awesome... thanks guys..

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    I'm not dnar, but there are no laws in Aus (except I think WA) regarding laser show projectors, you should have no issue importing them really.

I think WA might have a law on them, but that's just from memory many years ago.

I lived in Cairns last year and never had any problems importing modules, but never imported a full projector except back in I think 2006 in Melbourne.

Dan

Just to confirm that you can import a laser projector from OS into W.A. Just got one in from China this year after checking with Customs first. dash8brj was spot on with his post.

So I have finally ordered a projector from Winni.
    It's a custom built H-RGB1800, it's very similar to the H-RGB1900 but with 300mw red (LaserWave), the other modules CNI, DT40 Wides and 3D mounts in a BOX-C case.
    I also added aperture glass and fan dust filters and a emergency switch with 25m cable.
    I have talked to Winni almost every day for two weeks now and she has been very helpful and really fast to answer questions.
    The projector was shipped today and Winni sent me some pictures and a movie of the projector and I can't wait to get it.
    Will post again when I have tried it out.
    Last edited by Jenus; 06-29-2012 at 07:25.

@ Jenus : Why did you choose a low divergence red source if you have non-corrected blue (>2mrad) and 1.5-2 mrad green? This is useless !

Well I am planning to increase the divergence on the 637 to match better with the other two.
    And the DT40 Wides and 3d mounts can't take a 5x8mm beam.
    I have made this decision carefully so don't come and say it's useless!

No problem , I just thought that 637 was expensive and "too good" compared with the general cost of the other laser sources
    Your are right "this is your decision"

Yeah the 637 cost a lot of money but I want to try something new

@ Jenus Can't you ask for larger mirrors ? I was just talking to Winni last night, your setup sounds almost identical to mine.

R>600mw/637nm(laserwave), G>500mw/532nm(WL203)CNI,MGL-H-532B>1000mw/445nm CNI PGL-V-H-445 CNI laser diode,DT40 pro scanner ,3 d holder",
    Looking forward to seeing some other vid's and beam profile pics..

@ acarusi: The DT40 Wides only have one mirror size.
    Yeah that sounds very similar and in fact Winni offered that power setup to me as well but the 600mw 637 was out of my budget.
    Maybe I will upgrade to that module sometime in the future.

Here comes a review of my 1.8W RGB custom built Golden Star Laser Projector.

Shipping and packaging
    Winni sent me the DHL tracking nr and the package was picked up in Hong Kong around 4am sunday morning and was delivered directly to work in the middle of Sweden at 11am tuesday.
    This is probalby the fastest shipping from around the world I have ever experienced!
    The top of the flight case was wrapped in bubble plastic that was taped on the case. When I got the package I put it in my summer hot car until I quit work so the glue on the tape melted a bit so the case is really sticky now, have to clean that of
    One of the ruber feets on the case was missing and probably went loose in the shipping. I have now orderd 4 new rubber feets (for $1/each), and going to replace them all just so they match.
    Overall the build quality of the flight case was top notch except for the rubber feets that comes of too easy.
    The laser was very well padded with plastic foam and wrapped in a plastic bag inside the case, looked very good.
    Even with the missing feet I still rate the shipping 5/5 just because it was so incredably fast!

The Projector
    Red: 300mW 637nm (Laserwave)
    Green: 500mW 532nm (CNI MGL-H-532)
    Blue: 1000mW 447nm (CNI PGL-V-H-447)
    Scanners: DT40 Wide
    BOX-C case, 3D mirror mounts, fan dust filters, aperture glass
    Accessories: Emergency switch with 25m cable.

The laser is build in the BOX-C case and it feels very sturdy. And nice looking!
    Edit: I'm only going to make one change to the case and that is to change the 4 nuts holding the bracket to the top cover. It is regular nuts now but I will change them to nylon locking nuts so they don't vibrate of.
    I let the pictures speak for themself. The last one is with the front glass attached.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	33452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0025.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	33454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	33453

Because I choose the DT40 Wides the apperture needed to be bigger then original. They did a nice job cutting out the bigger aperture (it looks pretty), however, it's not big enough.
    I also choose to have a front protective glass on the aperture. The beam gets cut in three corners with the glass on, because the frame of the glass is further out on the case. Without the front glass and frame, the beam gets cut in one corner.
    With front glass and without.

Name:	DSC_0305.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	33457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0304.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	842.0 KB 
ID:	33456

Of course a easy fix for this is just to scan a couple of percent smaller or just adjust one of the scanners in it's mount because there is more room too the left in the pictures.
    What golden star should have done is mount the scanner closer to the aperture, because right now the scanners are pretty far in into the case. Of course they would need just a slightly bigger base plate to do this.

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	33455

Laser modules & Whitebalance
    The whitebalance isn't perfect and looks blue/greenish on these pictures, but when looking at it with our eyes it looks blue/purple.
    I have played around with the color settings in QS but need to play a little bit more to get it good as I havn't made a real try at balancing them yet, just played around.
    But I think that this 300mW 637 red is actually enough to get a okey whitebalance but I probably need to take the green and blue down a bit.
    One thing that is bugging me is that the green module is very uneven at low powers, making it hard to calibrate the WB. It gets better when it has been on for a while so I just need to give it more time I think.
    Maybe you guys can tell me if that's just the nature of DPSS lasers.
    The red and blue dims really nice all the time.
    Here's a picture showing the problem with the green one, when it's not warm enough, it is completely black and then suddenly gets too bright. But when it's warm it dims better.

Name:	DSC_0286.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	860.2 KB 
ID:	33458

Scanners
    The DT40 Wides are really good. But I thought they would be even wider calibrated from factory. I measured the scan angle to around 56 degrees and ILDA angle at around 11 degrees.
    The DT40 is of course tweaked to 40k but with Quickshow I can only scan at 30k. I'm thinking of tweaking down the scanners to 30k, making the laser brighter and probably last longer. Would apriciate some comments on this
    Edit: Because the scanners are too fast I had to adjust the Color/Blanking shift (points) to 3 to get the ILDA blanking lines to line up. This causes some more tails in regular patterns so I run on the standard setting = 4 and only adjusted to 3 for this picture.

Name:	DSC_0056.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	33459

The beam alignment can probably be adjusted even better but I have not done that yet, but with the 3D mounts it won't be a problem.

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	772.4 KB 
ID:	33460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	948.9 KB 
ID:	33461

The emergency switch felt kinda cheap and I didn't expect more either, but it works and that is the main point.

I don't know more what to say other then that I'm very happy with the projector and will definitely order from Winni again!
    Can't wait to next weekend when I will run the first show with it on a festival. So I have a week to tweak things now
    Feel free to ask me anything and in the meantime, here are some nice pictures and a video of it.
    The video is mostly shot from the side because I have such a small room and doesn't dare to stick my camera to much in the beams just 1 meter from the projector.

Name:	DSC_0301.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	33465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0300.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	33464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0296.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	874.0 KB 
ID:	33463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0294.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	33462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0302.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	33466

Last edited by Jenus; 07-08-2012 at 07:16.