Thread: Instek SFG-1003

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Instek SFG-1003

I'm very happy with the quality, documentation, performance, and adjustment range of the Instek SFG-1003 Function Generator. It is a basic unit without swept tones or ramping or memory settings.

I use it for setting up galvo amps and testing laser diode driver response.

I'm very happy with the "Bang for the Buck". The case and knobs have a nice feel, and the frequency jitter is very low. If you need a function generator for the bench, and are not interested in "toys" from Ebay, this is a solid unit in the Near DC to 3 Mhz range. (For my other home bench work I use a Programmed Test Sources PTS-250 with phase options) Cost 170-200$ depending on whom you purchase it from and options. It includes a nice cable with BNC to Gator clips. My only real gripe with the unit is not having a SYNC BNC to trigger the scope. http://www.gwinstek.com/en/product/p...5&mid=72&id=94

This nicely replaces my old Tek 500 series plug-in FG-502 for most tasks.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-28-2014 at 19:26.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hi Steve,

I also bought the material in this brand and I am very happy (one DSO GDS-1022 and a programmable power supply PSP-405). In addition I bought it in the USA at TEquipment.net, it cost me less than in France with the customs fees, import tax and shipping included.
    I think, the brand ISO-TECH would be the same except for two details ...
    Have a good measurements...

Christophe.

Christophe, Glad to hear it!

Let me know how the DSO interface and triggering works. If you can, Most of us would love to a see a screen shot of a video signal or a ILDA pattern, we're always needing a clean trace.

Another question, if I may impose, does the PSP-405 have relays changing transformer taps as you increase voltage?

Kind Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

For the first question ... Joker! I just use it to keep the signal on power amplifiers down or unbalanced, so that I did not even read the manual, and even less connected to a computer the DSO .
    For PSP, the only one relay is output. When the maximum voltage, maximum current are programmed (or even maximum power) then play on the voltage with the little knob .
    It is great to test laser diodes safely, and since I have never blown a diode.
    She has lots of other features, but again I must take the time one day to read the manual ...

Cheers, Christophe.

Cheers, Christophe. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying.........

On some of the cheapie PSUs, the current is interrupted by relays briefly as you increase it. Those PSUs do it to reduce dissipation in the output stage, by changing taps on the transformer. You can imagine that the diode blows instantly.

Nice to know there is one that does not easily blow diodes.

Steve

Re Steve,

My English is not good ( school for 30 years ago ) and i use Google to translate... Perhaps is not the top...
    With my words and remenbers of English...sorry for the massacre...
    The unique relay is for the output of the PSU: Enable or disable, then you can set all parameters, Voltage Limit, Current Limit and power output Limit ( and more...) and push the button "Output"
    Exemple, i want to test one diode that i know characteristics, 808nm 5W Vmax:2.2V Imax5.2A
    I program the psu to Vmax 3V , Imax 4.5A and adjust Voltage Output at 1,6V, then i push the button "Output" and the diode was powered on, but low. I increase the voltage by 0.01V with the rotary knob to have IR light on the emitter, i read the current and i can determine the Threshold current. After, i increase the voltage step by step ( measure temp too ) to 2.2V and i have at 4.5A Max the measure of the diode on my LPM.
    For me hobbyist on laser, i think is a good PSU when used correctly with many models of diodes.
    Cheers, Christophe.

Sounds the same as the PSP-2010 (20V, 10A) which I have.
    I used to work for Tequipment.net. They have a quote system on their website, get a price through that and then counter with a lower price that you say you got from testequipmentdepot.com. They will sell their soul to make the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ams09 View Post
    The unique relay is for the output of the PSU: Enable or disable, then you can set all parameters, Voltage Limit, Current Limit and power output Limit ( and more...) and push the button "Output"