Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Axicons to combine diodes for a single beam.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

oK, Me, Myself and I is jammed right now. I'm gonna delegate this.

TR it costs about 60$ to coat a telescope diagonal. We need a AL or Enhanced AL coating, the enhanced AL has a oxide layer that boosts reflectivty 15-20% and lifetime goes up a factor of ten. I'm not even gonna dream about dielectic, at this point, because the only cost effective place to do that would be China, and it would need 4 chamber runs, or mechization to rotate the pieces.

TR,

Find some others like the guys below, but find one that can do the overcoated or enhanced AL, I can't find the website of the guy in florida that has AL overcoat. Tell Them you have 4 objects ,375 diameter with 4 faced pointed ends, the faces are roughly 1/8 inch triangles at 90/ Tell them a skilled university research tech will make a UHV compatable holder for the 4 pieces, about the size of a diagonal.

Tell em I will plasma clean it in argon before shipping, if they get nervous.

UHV means ultra high vacuum, and making UHV is nOT a piece of cake. A FINGERPRINT on the chamber wall can ruin your day, or at least 4 hours of pumpdown.

I gotta get Norms board out today, so you ARE hearby authorized to call around, Hint, dont tell em exactly what its for, say its a beamsplitter, these guys are small shops or backyard operations and its easy to spook them.

Something like this:

http://alcoat.net/al_1.htm
    http://www.opticwavelabs.com/products.html
    http://www.vacuumcoatings.co.uk/Aluminising.html

Chemical silver will not cut it. I have tried two of the 60$ kits on the market, this has to go vacuum. I'm not sure about sputtering, would prefer aluminizing or ebeam.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-29-2009 at 05:10.

I would agree with the UHV recommendation above. Also, the issues involved with UHV make it that much harder to deal with and afford. Also, that 4 hour pump down is on a small chamber

Looking forward to the results.

Steve, if you need any small-ish 'fundage' or local help, I can assist.

Regards;
    DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Steve,

We have heard rumors of one for sale up here... I will have to follow the lead a bit more, did you want your OWN chamber or just use somebody elses.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Steve,

We have heard rumors of one for sale up here... I will have to follow the lead a bit more, did you want your OWN chamber or just use somebody elses.

-Adam

With a 50-200 dollar budget? I think we're going commerical.

I have the turbo and ion and roughing pumps, I have guages. I'd need a tiny chamber, maybe 4" diameter by 6" tall.

But having made chambers before, that needs a lot of careful work.

I have the tungsten and feedthroughs for doing it, but no chamber.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    With a 50-200 dollar budget? I think we're going commerical.

I have the turbo and ion and roughing pumps, I have guages. I'd need a tiny chamber, maybe 4" diameter by 6" tall.

But having made chambers before, that needs a lot of careful work.

I have the tungsten and feedthroughs for doing it, but no chamber.

Steve
    Got a lead on a couple of setups,
    i will find out next week for ya

Post deleted, to avoid time wasting.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 04-20-2010 at 11:44.

Here it is! in the middle of this mount is a four sided 45deg mirror with a hole going thru the middle. the mirrors are aprox. .075" X .150" and the hole is about .06" square. perfect size for 5 diodes! I was going to make a diode combiner with it a few years ago. Just found it in a box looking for something else. I know someone here may want to give a go at a 5 diode combiner. I am working on knife edge combiners and don't have to time to work on it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1285.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	14501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	14502 Will take trades

Question

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    With all of these broad stripe high power diodes there isn't any point really, linear mirror stacking is more suitable and practical.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Lightbulb

But there are piles of mid-power 660 reds out there that could still be used to make a high powered deep red...