Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Axicons to combine diodes for a single beam.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Silver works great till the ever present small amounts of sulfur dioxide in the air eat it and turn it grey. The metals of choice for metal mirrors are steel, beryllium, and copper and gold, or nickel coated aluminium. Copper and Gold work best in the IR. Steel eventually rusts.
    Be is a controlled material and expensive.

Thats why we spec overcoated silver, it gets a layer of silica dioxide (quartz sand) over it, and the SiO2, if done right, boosts the reflectivity from 75-80% to 92 or so.

Chad's putting a round base on it just solved my manufacturing problem. Cubes are expensive to have slabbed. Rods are cheap and easy to hold and precision spin to put the flats on.

I could almost do a rod myself. I'd need to borrow a diamond wheel. or I could just borrow a Mecheng3 universal smart machining apparatus. Yeah, I think we'll borrow a Mecheng Three.

Steve

Silver is really soft and would be difficult to get a optical polish on. Not to mention it is not cheap. Coating is just expensive in the setup. If you have a bunch it is pretty cheap, kinda like anodizing.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Mixed:

Ok give me some spec and I will draw a real one.

I need:

Center hole diameter
    outer rod diameter
    overall length

Getting one up the bum is going to add significantly to the price. is ~800 mw not enough?
    *edit- or you just not going to coat the center and let the beam come up through the center?

chad

hoping to just put a slight wedge on the center to avoid interference patterns, and not coat the center. One up the center makes up for the 10-20% loss, but right now I'd settle for 4 faces. Besides, 4 faces is easy for the optician.

lets do a .50 inch rod, so it fits standard optics mounts if you sand them open a bit. Overall length of 1", so the optician has something to grab onto. .5 will make make it easy to make platens for the coating chamber, and 12.52 mm is a standard metric bit for our European friends.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Mixed:

Ok give me some spec and I will draw a real one.

I need:

Center hole diameter
    outer rod diameter
    overall length

Getting one up the bum is going to add significantly to the price. is ~800 mw not enough?
    *edit- or you just not going to coat the center and let the beam come up through the center?

chad
    I say if we're going to do it, then let's do it right...

Putting a beam down the center, IMO, will need a hole, and not a polished top.

--DDL

Ok how about this.

Chad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axicon v2.jpg  

axicon v2.PDF  

Yeah...got your note. I think I could do that for ya....send it on to me. We'll get a piece made for you test then. I have no problem in making that. I have diamond down to 50K in spray bottles or do you prefer a Linde A and lead lap finish? Serium Oxide and lead will make a best polish on soft materials....less than 6 on the Moh's scale.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

I cut this emerald from a few pieces that were baught years ago. It is just over 3.8 cts. 88 facets in total.. nice material from Muzo. She has it locked in the bank sd box and doesnt care to wear it. Go figure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wifes emer.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Material shipped.

We shall see.

Steve

Question

Hey, can I beta test? I got someone local with a few extra drives and some red diodes...