Thread: 50W 808 diode-bar on ebay, worth the cash?

Default 50W 808 diode-bar on ebay, worth the cash?

Hi,

Do you allknowing think this laser could be used for something usefull? It's a lot of 808nm that could be used in some cool green YAG or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIGH-POWER-LASER...QQcmdZViewItem
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

My advice is AVOID buying anything from heruur / heruursciences. Those diodes are probably closer to 830nm and so useless for DPSS. They are 35W @ 65A and require flowing water. They were made for lithographic machines where the wavelength is non-critical. There is a bunch of information about them in Sam's FAQ:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserdio.htm#diorhpd

Besides, how can you trust someone that admits "To power it I used three c-cell nicad batteries and some niachrome wire borrowed from a space heater as ballast"

Check with me if you need a high power 808nm laser diode bar that is tested properly. I have 20W, 40W and 50W bars in stock all tested using an SDL-830 driver, an Ophir LaserStar power meter and an Agilent 86140B Optical Spectrum Analyzer.

Here is a seller with the same laser module for a fair price and they have been tested by Laser FAQ Sam so you can be pretty sure they are in good condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140023964452

Isn't E-bay user Heruur actually Chris Luebner? As in, the guy that is famous for selling broken lasers on E-bay? The guy that supposedly works for a Goodwill-Industries-like charity now and sells stuff for them once in a while? The guy that claims in his listings that he knows nothing about the item, despite the fact that he's been playing with lasers for decades and really ought to be able to tell you if the item works or not?

Yuck... After what I've read on alt.lasers for the past several years, I would *NEVER* buy anything from him. In fact, if memory serves, there was an article in the Milwaukee Journal about a guy living in Appleton named Chris Leubner (note the transposition of "eu" for "ue") that got busted for cooking up a batch of drugs in his apartment. Coincidence? Maybe. But I don't trust it, and I won't buy from him.

Bah - I just did a quick google search of alt.lasers and found even more ugly information about the guy. I'd stay away from him if I were you...

Adam

Hi guys, just joined this site! I have been around on alt.lasers for a few years.

I bought some CO2 laser lenses from Chris for a low price with no problems about 3 years ago. I also sent him a Omnichrome power supply so he could test out a small whitelight head he had and he sent it right back along with a couple of znse lenses as a thank you. Just pointing out that at least a few years back he was an OK guy...I guess things went downhill?

Now Kevin is an outstanding laserist, though I wish I could fish at the watering holes he seems to find! He once bought me several lasers from a dealer near him and shipped them to me at cost! I would buy from him in a heartbeat!

Anyway, glad to be in the group...I need to head over to the section discussing red laser beam combining as I have quite a few 650nm polarizing beam combining prisms gathering dust...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    Isn't E-bay user Heruur actually Chris Luebner?

In fact, if memory serves, there was an article in the Milwaukee Journal about a guy living in Appleton named Chris Leubner (note the transposition of "eu" for "ue") that got busted for cooking up a batch of drugs in his apartment.
    Yes heruur is Leubner. He got off damned easy for a guy who threw acid at the cops that busted his ecstasy lab.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/?id=331701
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/?id=353971

Now he pretends not to know about the busted crap he sells through his local St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=418894
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330009278806

Junktronix;

Good point about the E-bay listing... The only "electronic parts" in the listing (other than the neon tube, which is clearly working just fine in the picture) are a Nichia violet laser diode and a HeNe tube, yet he claims that "I have no way to test all the electronic parts and therefore they are sold AS-IS." Now, what sort of laser geek would not be able to test a hene tube or a diode laser? I call bullshit!

Skyko;

Yeah, I've read reports from several people that said they had really good luck with Chris back in the day. But evidently those days are gone. Eh - who knows, maybe he'd give you a good deal if he knew you personally. But I don't know him personally (though I did grow up in the same state, and not to far away at that). Either way, I'm not willing to trust him after what I've read about him from others on alt.lasers.

Adam

All these things may very well true. I have bought many items from Mr.Lubener not all of them have been fully tested in particular some 20 watt 1 cm bar laser diodes that are supposedly 810nm. They have all arrived in a timely manner most were well packed, he has attempted to give good customer service, and tonight called me personally to rectify a shipping mixup, so I will give him the benefit of doubt, at this time. My best impression of him is that he has had a few items at auction sell for relatively low bid amounts and he did not welch on shipping them. My primary gripe with him is if all his offerings met all the keywords used to draw attention to them, I would have a space craft or my own personal nuclear reactor,I will forgive him this.
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.