Quote Originally Posted by jeejeedr
I love however 473 for the deep blue you can make with it. It's just a shame you need more power...
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm stuck with 488nm for blue right now, and it's not nearly as nice as the 473nm blue from a dpss unit. Though I have to admit that the 456 nm argon line is *really* pretty. Too bad it's nearly invisible to the human eye - but it sure is nice! I also prefer the argon green at 514 nm to the dpss green at 532 nm. It's a "deeper" green, and it looks more natural to me.
Regarding your comment on the appearance of the different power levels: I always start from the idea that it will be used for beam at a certain moment in time. As beams depend on particles in air for reflection, the power difference will be noticable.
An excellent point! Even projectors that will be doing graphics most of the time will probably do beams at some time or another. When I was playing around with Deambeamz's F2000 RGB projector, I was mostly looking at graphics displayed on the wall. As I mentioned earlier, the color balance looked great. I really didn't try to do a lot with beams (it was during the day and the room had lots of natural light), but perhaps the differences in color balance would have been more pronounced. (Still, Dreambeamz posted a few videos that he made of his unit doing a beamshow in a dark room with a fog machine running, and it looked pretty impressive too...)
For graphics on a wall some meters away, even a 250 mW RGB projector will do the job (even nicer).
Yes, that has been my experience as well.

Adam