Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A new breakout board?

Wow, thanks Mark, got you down for 1 splitter, gonna be a while though, aside from the prototype, it's just scribbling on a piece of paper. Have a lot more testing to do before I commit it to a printed board.

Norty, you're absolutely right, I put just the X-axis switch in there for convenience even though all you need to do is disconnect +X, -X wires and swap them. It's really up to you guys, I want to make this version 3 board as easy to use as possible. Should I do away with the X/Y invert switches, keep just the X invert switch or have both X and Y switches there?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

what about XY invert headers so we can wire switches externally?

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Wow, thanks Mark, got you down for 1 splitter, gonna be a while though, aside from the prototype, it's just scribbling on a piece of paper. Have a lot more testing to do before I commit it to a printed board.

Norty, you're absolutely right, I put just the X-axis switch in there for convenience even though all you need to do is disconnect +X, -X wires and swap them. It's really up to you guys, I want to make this version 3 board as easy to use as possible. Should I do away with the X/Y invert switches, keep just the X invert switch or have both X and Y switches there?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Put me down for a pair (you never know!)

I vote to keep the X-invert switch.

Also, any ideas on implementing an emergency stop across multiple projectors?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Dave,

I like the breakout board as is... I am also looking for a buffered ILDA splitter. I'll commit - please add me to the list as #4.

Thanks,
    Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    what about XY invert headers so we can wire switches externally?
    That's a fantastic idea, thanks, swamidod. So if you want to have invert switches you just wire to the pin headers, if not there will be jumpers on the pin headers. This way, you can mount the switch of you choice to the back of you projector. Thanks for the idea!

Randy, can you elaborate a bit on the estop thing? The only way I could see the estop working is by interupting the interlock loop. thinking..... Ok, if we wanted the breakout board to handle opening the interlock loop on the projector connected to the passthru cable, I would need to add a relay. The more I think about this, the more it might work, so long as people wire the interlock loop properly. Bascially, 5VDC applied to "L" on the breakout board, if connected to the DAC, the 5VDC (-losses dependant on current draw) is returned to "LR", which could also drive the base of a transistor (to limit current required on the loop to the DAC) which will drive a small relay, which will keep the interlock loop from the downstream projector isolated. Sound good to you? I'll draw up a schematic, brb...

Put me down for 4 breakout boards with pass thru.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

yeah... what swami said. Only, I'm o.k with just having X. It's SO much easier having a switch mounted on the outside of the case rather than having to pop the cover when for some screwy reason, a graphic is backwards.

And... if you're doing another ILDA splitter box for Mark, similar to the one at SELEM, me thinks we needs to talk. I bought a (gulp) Laserworld one that works o.k. but, has nowhere near the adjustability of the masterpiece you created. X-Laser has a nice one too but, that "SELEM special" is a work of art.

Thumbs up Hellz, Yes! :)

Glad to see ya 'back', Sire... ..PL would just not be the same without ya...

Put us down for 2 more, when you get em in the oven, again... the first two are still kickin and are a truly great bit of 'kit'..

PS -
    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    ...so long as people wire the interlock loop properly.
    ..not sure if you ever saw this one I had worked out in the past / we use, but I'll re-throw it out there, fwiw..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLS_Intlk_ILDA_v2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	29616
    ..perhaps, this is something peeps can use, 'outboard', with yer board, in-series... lemme know yer thoughts / welcome any simplification-suggestions, etc...

..again, fwiw..
    ciao
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 12-29-2011 at 13:37. Reason: fix schem-add...
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

It's SO much easier having a switch mounted on the outside of the case rather than having to pop the cover when for some screwy reason, a graphic is backwards.
    To be honest, its far easier just to flip the axis in the software.
    I have my 2 satelites set up as mirror pairs permanently. If I use just one, and it's the 'wrong' one, I just flip the axis in the zone or projector settings.
    But I'm happy with anything.

My biggest concern is how I implement the interlock for estop. The safety/scanfail board I'll be using simply has up to 3 interlock loops that need to be closed in order to lase. Not sure how that is going to work with passthrough on >1 projector.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Ok, how does this work for you guys. Here's the schematic of how the interlock circuit would work (back EMF protection omitted, would be added to actual circuit). The big question is, what voltage do you guys use for your interlock loop? I may need to have available 2 versions of the board, one with a 5V relay and another with a 12V relay. Assuming 5V and 12V are the two most commonly used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB_V3.1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	29617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interlock.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	29618

edit - Thanks for the info Jon, make that 3 types of breakout boards, +5V, +12V and +24V.