Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Looking for Laserist(s) to Book for July 2012 Outdoor Festval

Yes, our normal client base would fall under the "hippie" catagory. haha I must admit I was quite disillusioned with the responses until i read your description of the UK scene, which was spot on with what we do. Many thanks good sir...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    seriously, i'm really trying to make a lem.

It's also unfortunate that the september one is usually the weekend after i have a festival.... In lincolnshire!
    By the time i've got back from the 600 mile round trip on monday/tuesday, i'm not too up for another drive back 3 days later!
    festival in lincolnshire....................... Where??????????????????????????
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Conningsby, usually around the 15th, 16th each year. Bit later this year by the look of it.
    http://www.alchemyfestival.co.uk/
    He has some smaller ones through the year before that one though
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thumbs up

Hi archano

Quote Originally Posted by archanotechnician View Post
    ..I was quite disillusioned with the responses until..
    First, (..since I'm speaking directly to-you, now.. Welcome to PL.. you (obviously) did come to the 'right place', and I'm happy to hear that you've found some one to accomodate you... I will, however, still recommend that - for your own sake / sake of your Event - you make sure the Co you've got on-board is wholly-familiar with the FAA-regs for Outdoor laser shows, and will be able to demonstrate their qualifications (Varianced / legal / insured, etc..) to put on - yes - even-for this 'small-caliber' of-an Outdoor show...

Why am I so 'rabid' about this topic? ..well, to put it 'in-context', see the first-post thread - http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...118#post221118

..Yes, I know - you 'won't be having someone like this' at your-fest / you'd never allow it, etc, etc - and I'm not 'implying' that you would - Simply using it a *one* example, of how, when people decide to 'take it off the ranch' - in other words, not 'play by the rules', for safety's-sake, with lasers - things can get really stupid, really-fast... Yes, such 'illegal' and clearly-unsafe effects may be 'cool-looking', but, the reason that it's so-much-more a concern for Outdoor-shows, is, if a Co is similarly irresponsible - but instead of shooting beams into the audience, they're shooting into the skies? - The 'consequences' could-impact the entire-industry, not just those in the aud / your-Event...

Yeah, I know - some will respond to me that I'm just 'spreading paranoia' and / or 'over-reacting', etc - but, my retort is, a) with the huge-proliferation of 'cheap', high-power laser systems, here in the US, in the past couple years, it's practically next to nothing for someone to buy some multi-watt shinola-box, slap a name-tag on themselves, and, suddenly - they're a "Laser Show Co"... No training - no experience ramp-up - and often - not a-clue what doing a truly good job - safely - is all-about.

..b) Since they 'bought their stripes' vs 'earned-them', there tends to be less of a sense of responsability / liability, than with those that 'took the long-road'... I'm not saying, in every-case, but, far more-often than-not, we see stuff being spawned, like that 'LED-robot guy', who, not only gives this industry a 'black-eye', but very-well may actually damage someones' sight, as-well.. Much-worse when this type of 'cavalier-attitude' / clueless-operation is brought Outdoors, because now, they're risking irking the FAA - which has much bigger teeth, and can / does act, much quicker than the FDA (..who wrote the 'Regs')...

..the FAA does not muck-around, and they've got much-greater 'influence' in Congress, etc, and we just don't want to ever have to 'suffer a moratorium' again / lose all the 'progress' that the Pro Sho-industry has gained, in the past few years, in 'helping them' to know / recognize the difference, between 'illegal hack-shows' / pointer-people incidents, and legitimate laser-shows being performed... Yes - there are those in the 'ALPA' (Airline Pilot's Association) that would-have us (legitimate laser shows) 'lumped-in' - legal-repercussions-wise - with those that, ie: point lasers at planes / copters, etc - that type of 'broad-brush' legislation would have *horribly complicating* consequences, for the entire-industry - much in the same way that the recently-flaring 'SOPA / PIPA' are ill-conceived, towards the aim of 'protecting IP', etc.. We *must* fight such 'ignorance' / homogenizing-legislation in the laser-show / safe-airspace arena, as-well..

..Why in the world am I typing this all to You - as-if you're 'somehow not already aware' of this all? Because - generally-speaking - we observe that the 'recipe' of: Multi-watts of laser light-needed (..to achieve a 'satisfying-result' - this Event, small as it-is, cannot be done with '5mW', for-example, if you're going to have other lights, etc..) + Outdoor, possibly open-air fx, desired + near-Zero budget = Not a very-good 'recipe for success', for all-involved, nor a job for an unseasoned sho-entity...

..and, I write this (probably overstated explanation to hopefully just help you appreciate the 'motives', behind some of the previous-posts - we don't mean to 'squash the spirit', or come-across like heartless, capitalist-pigs but again, generally-speaking, the above-stated concerns have all-been historically-validated.. So, if you have been able to secure a legal / safe / experienced Co, that can also work with your 'start-up' placement... Indeed - Good for You... ..and Thanks for 'working alongside us', in striving to keep laser shows fun - and safe - and w/O increasing the risk of further-choking regs / restrictions. etc.. As us old-hippies would say, Can ya Dig it?

So, I'm gonna shut up, now, and Wish you the Very Best... ...and go wipe this egg off...

cheers..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 02-01-2012 at 11:40. Reason: sp
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I appreciate your concerns, and its always good to have knowledgeable folks to help stop the spread of misinformation. After all thats the reason I posted in this particular online community. That video is a wonderful example of willful ignorance in action! We put our attendees safety first and recived a lengthy report on lasers from our Safety and Compliance Manager soon after it was suggested to provide a laser show. As a result our managers are now fairly knowledgeable on the 2.5(&3) meter rule, beam termination points, audience scanning health regs, wavlength dangers, FAA application forms, variances, etc.

Our current limited budget is not proportional to the ammount of research that goes into our events. While capitolism is the underlying force behind any buisness, a client oriented focus makes a good buisness. We strive for professionalism and hope with time, to establish a basis of respect with the various connected entertainment industries.

I hope that egg was free range organic.
    M.

When I read your first post my initial thought was: a typical promoter wanting a free laser show so he can make more $.

After reading your second post, I think that I (and likely the others that slammed you) was wrong in my assumptions of what you were asking for.

From me - an apology. I hope your show goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    festival in lincolnshire....................... Where??????????????????????????
    Smoggers, you get a reputation for somehow managing to find the most interesting and desirable lasers tucked away in corners of the world that even the great almighty himself doesn't know exist, then you fuck it all up by not noticing a festival at the bottom of your garden?
    x
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

LOL! Your too right Si, a certified plank I am
    Can't bloody afford to eat these days so thats all in the past now
    Although you wouldn't think it with me extra tyre
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!