Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carib-LEM What do you think?

Default Carib-LEM What do you think?

Hi all,

I have actually been meaning to do this for a while so here it goes.

How about a Carib-LEM? (Thanks for the logo Jon)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaribLEM!.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	451.3 KB 
ID:	29883

I manage a dive resort on the island of Utila on the coast of Honduras.
    I have been thinking of hosting a meet here with diving by day and lasers by night.

I have plenty of space at the resort. We have 26 rooms - so we can sleep plenty of people. We have conference room which is a reasonable size but we have plenty of outdoor space. Power is no problem, we even have 3 phase, but I guess if anyone brings anything with them it will be running off 110V anyway.

Those that are already certified divers can spend their time fun diving with the guidance of an experienced Divemaster and those that aren't can choose to do their PADI open water course with on of my instructors.

We have reveal parties here on Utila each month so I am sure sure I can have one arranged to coincide with the LEM. This would be a hugh laser extravaganza. And I am sure nothing like this has been done in Honduras before.

As a rough ball park figure you are looking at about $600 for 7 night accommodation, 3 meals a day, all diving (fun diving or course). The only thing you'll need is flights and transfers o Utila. This price will change depending on numbers. I can even arrange a bus form San Pedro Sula airport to the ferry port in La Ceiba where you will then take the ferry to Utila. I can even meet and greet at the airport if needed.
    Flights leave from Miami, Atlanta and Houston.

What dates do you think would be suitable and how long would you like it to run for? How about Aug 22 to Aug 29 this year to start with. Any other suggestions.

So those are my rough thoughts - what do you all think?

Cheers
    Rich

Sounds Crackalackin!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Lol @ Dan !

Now how do I break it to my wife?... "Excuse me dear, you know that Carribean holiday we've always fancied..."
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Lol @ Dan !

Now how do I break it to my wife?... "Excuse me dear, you know that Carribean holiday we've always fancied..."
    Yea something like that.

There are plenty of other activities too. For those that have no inclination to dive we can run a snorkeling trip. Trips to deserted beaches. Horse back riding, hiking, caving, deep sea fishing are a few of the other activities.

I forgot to post the website for the dive shop www.coralviewutila.com
    It is a fairly new site and we are still working on the content.

By no means is this a 5* resort like Beaches or ClubMed but we are comfortable and friendly.

Cheers
    Rich

Oh god right on the mrs birthday... maybe i could treat her to a special trip for it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert View Post
    Oh god right on the mrs birthday... maybe i could treat her to a special trip for it ;-)
    What a great birthday present!

Don't forget the dates are only a suggestion. We can make this work anytime that suits. The only months that are off limits are June and July as we are slammed during that time.

Cheers
    Rich

Thumbs up

Hey Sir Rich -

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    (Thanks for the logo Jon)...
    U bet.. - That was just a 'quickie-stab', whilst I was drawing other stuff, last nite... If this all starts to become an actual-reality, I'll be happy to work with ya on a 'real' one... at least something with *your input*...

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    What dates...How about Aug 22 to Aug 29..Any other suggestions.
    Mmm, I think Aug. would be tough to consider for many who try to make 'SELEM', one of the largest-draw US-LEMs, at least.. I *think* the 2012-dates for SELEM will likely be, like, week-beforeish, but Sir Buffo or DZ or allthat would be the more proper-ones to speak-to that...

What thoughts about November or early Decemberish? If the weather is anything like El Sal, the 'rainy-season' is pretty-much over by-then, and, so will much of the 'demanding-workload months' - at least for the 'Pro' laserists 'hard-core' seasons.. usually summer / fall is pretty-well knockered... But, I'm only one teenie voice of opinion, so...

I will-say, that practically 'next-door', in El Sal, our Clients have one of our 40W KTP BadBoys - ya know, the one that does this stuff - http://www.7mainstreet.com/imaging/b...931074-427.jpg ..and cloud-writing, etc among other smaller lasers and such... I could *possibly* talk them into allowing me to truck it from San Sal, in-exchange for some 'free service' or such... we've done shows in Hondo before, so, not totally 'green' on the Customs I/O thang at 'la frontera'... We'll hafta see...

In the end, if you get a bunch of peeps to concede on a Date, whatever it is, I'll endeavor to try and make it.. I need to plan a trip with mi Esposa y Hija down to visit her family in El Sal this year, anyway... heh - drop the Wifey-off with the Fam for a week, and truck-up for a laser and dive party.. works for me!

...And, to the rest of you - especially if you've never gone Diving - YOU *NEED* TO TRY IT - Undersea is about as close an-experience to traveling to outer-space as you'll likely ever-get - it's truly 'another world' - memories you'll savor for the rest of your life...

Viva Carib-LEM!
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thanks Jon, I have no idea on how to make logos. That one is pretty sweet though.

The only reason I picked those dates is that we are trying to organize a Dive Festival too. So plenty of people around to see the lasers. Like I said any dates work with me except June/July. Rainy season is a bit unpredictable here. We still get rain in December and the wind is blowing too. but we can work with that. lasers look great in the rain.

One thing I really want to try is an underwater laser show. We have a large salt water pool that tends to have sediment floating around - hopefully this would act as the smoke and we could create some awesome effects.

mmmmm I like the sound of the 40W - Im sure I can sort out a deal for that!

I hope we can make this work, I think it would be much fun for everyone including family members too. And, Jon, your right if you haven't tried diving you must - it is an incredible feeling.

Lets see what other think about dates and bouncy some ideas around and e can take it from there.

Cheers
    Rich

SELEM 2012 will be from August 15 - 19. And while I'd love to finish up at SELEM only to go to the Caribbean for an exotic laser/SCUBA vacation the week after, I don't think that will fly with my work schedule.

That being said, a date in the winter might work, both from a scheduling standpoint and from an "easy to sell it to the wife" standpoint. After all, when it's cold at home, the Caribbean is the place to be, right? ("No problem honey... You can lay out on the beach while I'm playing with lasers..." I think I might be able to sell that one!)

Keep us informed, Rich. This idea has a lot of promise!

Adam

What about end of October or beginning of November. The other option could be end Jan or beginning of Feb.
    Either way the weather is generally good. Sun by day with a bit of rain at night.

I'll try and have a look at the cost of flights to see when might be best.

Anyone else want to throw in some suggestions for dates.

Cheer
    Rich