Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY Water screen

The problem with a waterfall is getting it absolutely level, which means making it absolutely rigid, which means fairly heavyweight construction. Water weighs something like 68lbs cu foot.

Recirculating water with a trough and pump. You would probably need a positive dispalcement pump, maybe a cheap pressure washer pump with a weaker relief valve spring.

As Daedal said, gelatin would probably hepl things (used in firefighting to help colimate the water from fire hoses).

Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    You mean like this: http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/11/22/...isplay-system/

Here is another thread discussing water screens over at makezine: http://forums.makezine.com/comments....cussionID=2638

Another interesting article (with interesting facts): http://livedesignonline.com/mag/wild_wet_video/

-Adam
    i love this fog screen... i think i will do something similar but is not showed very good oh he build this...

has the fog putted out by the hoover? or there is radial fan on the splitter?
    Lorenzo from Italy
    www.LF-entertainment.it

Default water screen

well here is a test that i did last summer using a sump pump the flow was constant and will run forever unattended but as you see in the pic i need to make some sort of spreader to even the screen to be a square
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WS.jpg  

and here is a short video of it
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm guessing from the fact that the flow is bowing in slightly that the lip of the bowl isn't uniformally level even though the water is flowing along the whole length of it. Either that or the flow in the centre is greater than at the ends because of the location of the inward water feed.

I would have thought the best water screen reservoir would have been a long shallow animal type trough in strong braced alloy or steel. You could try some cast iron gutter but I'm not sure there would be enough of a reservoir. Whatever you use I would have thought its going to need to have a uniform lip and be perfectly straight and level. I would think you'd also need some means of spreading the water feed along the whole length of the trough so you didn't get uneven inward flow rate along the length. Maybe you could use tank connectors and split the hose feed in so it goes maybe 8 ways or something like that.

I haven't tried any of this so its only theory, but it seems to make sense for a good starting point to experimentation.

yea we were just screwing around one day with some stuff i had in the shop it was more of a proof of concept

but yea i know the rounded lip was causing most of the trouble and the pitch of the container
    also the water needs some turbulence because when we projected video on it it need a lot of power to get a small image

Maybe you could add a kind of rake on top of the lip to create some turbulence

What about a half round 6" aluminium rainwater gutter, fixed level, with an intermittent slot cut in to the bottom with a jigsaw?

Like this:

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------- ---------- --------- ---------

The small sections of no slot would keep the structural integrity of the gutter and create turbulance in the falling water and a simple float swith could control the charging pump.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Exclamation

I think you get a better result if the water is laminar before it fall out from the lip .
    If there is turbulence in the water when it fall from the lip, it will not travel perfectly down...

I know this thread is older, but it doesn't look like anyone got around to building any of these. Anyone got a working one? Water or fog? I, too, am interested in making a fog screen. Looks very nice! As others have said, that video and on that page, there is no really detailed build steps (like stuff on MakeBlog).

For the fog screen, It looks like he is using a clod flow (home made) fog machine, not necessarily "cold steam" (atomized), like in the description. I found a website that sells big "cold steam" ultrasonic foggers: http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html. I wonder how these would stack up since the fog will evaporate rather than hang around like conventional Glycol.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.