Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY Water screen

Got some ideas about that...
    There are things that make air curtains for industrial cooling, paint drying, etc, they rely on a very high pressure from a very fine jet to train airflow from ambient air around them. They move a greater volume of air than is first propelled from the jet. They are also fairly directional, and can withstand some lateral air pressure.

If you had a few of these jets parallel but moderately widely spaced, you might be able to train a fog stream into a curtain with them, even against the pressure of a local light breeze. Similarly a fine water spray might form a curtain. You'd need a LOT of pressure, and it might result in audible background hiss, but it might form a tight curtain where gravity alone can't do it.

I have a 9 head mist-maker !
    And I did once try to make a fog-curtain.

I did use many straws in a line with a fan to make the wind so the mist blow.
    The straws make the jet laminar so there is no turbulence.

I did never work any more with this, it did take to much time and you need a water tank +++..

here is a tiny tiny tiny test of a 10min DIY mist fog screen :P haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Tgh_33Skg

This was done from a tiny tiny 1-head mist maker!

I thought of those but assumed (wrongly perhaps) that they wouldn't make enough mist. It's very wet stuff but in some places that could help with the atmosphere. Try it with tiny very strong jets if you can. RS Components sell the things I was describing. Expensive, but once you know what to find, there might be cheap ways. Actually gas jets for gas fires and pilot lights out to do it. A small workshop air compressor ought to be strong enough to drive them. A very thin mist curtain might be great too, it might look truly invisible, but show a strong beam making an image apparently suspended by nothing.

Very nice, I didn't see that video. I think I missed that post! You should finish it, if you have the gumption. Looks awesome.

I was thinking that a regular household AC/Furnace squirrel cage blower would do the trick. Those move a ton of air and are not that loud. I would like to try and build a 5 ft wide cutrain. I think I will give the laminar flow (sandwich) design a try. I will most likely use a glycol/glycerin fogger.

Anyone make juice before? I am wondering if I make some and go light on the glycerin, if it will dissapate faster. That way, I could keep a constant flow without filling up a room completely with fog. Has anyone tried this with home-brew juice?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

The biggest mist maker, make allot of mist
    And actually it`s not so wet as you should think..

after some time I would not recommend having it indoor in a small area.
    But if it was at high pressure (if that is what you talk about) maybe it can make a nice curtain.
    Again, if you have to high pressure on the mist, it would maybe just be one big sky of smoke...

I am seriously looking at that 12 head mister maker. I am just wondering if it will generate enough for a 5 foot wide curtain.

That would look neat if it were barely visible. That way, you could show your graphics and then beams without a noseeum net. I was probably going to try this... now, I am definitely! I will post pics. I just need to get a few days off to break ground.

To make a 5 foot long curtain, it may be better to buy a few separate misters than just 1 big bank of them. Like you see in liteglow's video, the fog doesn't come out evenly, and could ruin the effect. That or some clever piping system to get the fog even.

My thoughts are that maybe a continuous fog machine with volume control may work better than water based mist? It would hang around much longer for large curtains.

That is what I am going to try at this point, a regular fogger. The thing I want to try and avoid though, is the fog lingering. I am wondering if I mix up some fluid of my own and tone the glycerin way back. I don't know what the ratio is for regular fluid, but maybe cut back the glycerin by half. Hopfully it will dissapate faster so that a continuous flow would not cloud up the room.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 04-06-2010 at 17:14. Reason: spelling

there was a link here some more post up...
    That is the place where I did buy my mist maker.
    they have both 110 and 220 volt.

i would recomend you to have 2 mist makers, and use 10-15x with 120mm computer fan to blow it maybe ?
    I have seen other fog screens, and they use many many many computer fans.

in my video the mist is going UP !
    But it will be allot better when the mist is falling down....

if you want, i can take some more videos of my mist maker