Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quickshow vs Livepro and a few other questions

Default Quickshow vs Livepro and a few other questions

Hey all,

First a bit of background. I've been a laser hobbyist off and on over the years. In the past I've been limited to three mirror motor spirographs and mirror / motor bouncing off a speaker, just playing around really. Bought a chinese laser a few years back and quickly grew tired of the choices of effects.

I'm at the point now I'm seriously considering an fb3 setup. Initially for a basement setup, but ultimately I'd like to get to the point where I can safely offer smaller public shows to help cover the costs of the hobby. I'm up in Canada, and requirements for public shows seem vague. Can anyone point me in the right direction in regard to researching that ?

And finally my main question, in light of quickshow being released, and it being seeming powerful software, what are the advantages of livepro ? I've read livepro can take an audio input to beat sync, quickshow brochure mentions beat syncing, but does not mention whether one needs to tap in the beat or if it will accept an audio input in a similar way to livepro.

Livepro mentions 1600 built in artwork, I can't seem to find a number in regard to quickshow.

I guess it all comes down to is it really worth the extra coin, or would it be better spent on a higher end set of scanners or more power ? Is it really that much more powerful than quickshow for a small venue for example no more than 500 people, with 2 or 3 projectors max ?

Also, I saw a for sale post (more than a month old now, but it didn't seem to be sold at the time). It's an fb3 w/ livepro, but the oem edition without a differential input driver board. The price seemed reasonable enough considering the inclusion of livepro. Any suggestions for me there ? Is there any significant different between the older oem modules and the newer (xe?) edition ?

Been lurking awhile, but am really getting the bug lately Thanks for any advice.

livepro and quickshow are very different and aimed at different markets.

i believe quickshow is aimed at more hobby kinda of people and livepro is aimed at doing professional shows.

my personal view is although good, quickshow is no good for doing proper shows. livepro all the way.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Cool

If you ever plan on running multiple projectors live to a band or DJ, you want LivePro - period.

Quickshow is very nice, and while I haven't used for more than an hour or so myself, I can see where it would be great to have in your bag of tricks, but in no way would I ever substitute it for LivePro.

I think LivePro for the FB3 might be less expensive (compared to the QM-2000 version) if you buy it at the same time that you purchase your FB3 controller. Check with Pangolin on this to be sure though.

Adam

Yep, I can confirm that LivePro was cheaper than the QM version when I bought mine, and that was separately from the FB3 purchase.
    I would agree with whats been said above, LivePro is certainly the way to go for live shows. I had already been using LivePro before QS came out and I was thinking that QS might have been a replacement for LivePro, but certainly in it's current release version, it's still reasonably early in it's development cycle.
    I seem to recall Bill saying a new version was going to be on general release soon some time ago, but it looks as if it hasn't yet materialized. You can contact Bill for newer versions but now i'm of the mind to wait for proper releases.
    I think the next proper releases will be a significant step for QS and lots of features will be properly usable making it a real option for some live playing.

Thanks for the advice. I've emailed Pangolin for some pricing info. TBH, 3 projectors is a bit of a pipe dream, I'll probably be restricted to one for a good while anyhow due to budget limitations. However I can see how the right control seems to be a necessity though it sounds tempting for my application at least to wait it out for a more functional quickshow. I'll probably never be in the business per se, mostly just hobby for me, and have some fun doing up shows for some friends. That being said, I love software with many options, It's a shame a demo isn't available as that would really help narrow it down for me.

Just waiting to hear back from Pangolin about a couple of things. One of the questions I had was regarding availability and cost of a differential board as an add-on to an SE.

Cheers,

Miles

I don't know the current cost, but a differential board is available for the SE.
    (I have one for mine)

This MIGHT be one of those rare weeks that Pangolin could be slow to respond, since the Pro Light & Sound convention is taking place in Germany, and they're attending.
    Generally, however, as long as you use the "Contact...." form on their web site, they'll get back with you pretty quick!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

It's a shame a demo isn't available as that would really help narrow it down for me
    Bill has already said they don't do demo versions because they offer a full money back guarantee. If you don't like the product, they'll give you your money back.

Oh, and I thibnk if you say you want a diff board when you order the FB3, they'll prob throw one in for nothing.

I have QS on the way, but I've been thinking of dumping it in favor of Live Pro. I plan on using my projector for live shows, so I'm curious what features LivePro has that QS does not. I can't find any feature comparisons on Pangolin's website.

Can anyone sum up what QS lacks besides the ability to run separate shows simultaneously? Is it compatible with the FB3? Will I really want to use an FB3 with Live Pro? Bear in mind, I will probably never use my laser software to trigger any effects other than the laser, nor do I really see myself using multiple projectors for a very, very long time.

QS and LivePro are worlds apart in terms of configuration options.

QuickShow is a Cessna - a great little plane that'll fly you to the next state, but if you want to go to the Moon you're going to need the shuttle.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

dont wanna slam quick show, its great , better than most. but yeah livepro is far superiour, iwouldnt consider a live show with qs, ( there are things that just arent 100% safe yet, but its not for me to rap on that)

livepro at least. there is no half way when dealing with lasers.