Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frankenstein show software

Default Frankenstein show software

I currently control my shows using DMX (I use Daslight, I like it for some odd reason even though there are bits of it that suck pigs). Now I'd like to move over to ILDA and the temptation of Pangolin QuickShow is getting hard to resist. HOWEVER I have 3 lasers and I don't think I can stretch to 3 pieces of hardware. I'd like to control 2 side lasers with DMX and my central one with ILDA. Quickshow doesn't currently support DMX, however, so I need to run QS and Daslight at the same time. Is it feasible to trigger both simultaneously using MIDI?

I've also looked at Mamba which does do both ILDA and DMX, but it looks very unfriendly (spent an afternoon wrestling with it, didn't enjoy it). Is there anything else that would do the job?

Maybe it's possible to use a pangolin FB3 and use the ILDA part for controlling the middle laser and the DMX for the 2 outer lasers. Since i don't use DMX, one of the guru's might jump in.
    The FB3-SE has DMX support, the FB3-XE doesn't but has a nice metal case around it ;-)
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Hmm... in order to do things like chases, I would presumably need a 3rd piece of software - a MIDI sequencer - to drive the two? How messy is that?!

LivePro (there is a version for the FB3) has built-in beam chase capability...
    and just about everything in the software can be controlled / triggered via MIDI !
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Well here I am a coupla months later, and still a bit stuck for what to do.

Except I have 5 lasers now -

* 2 x 300mW 532nm greens
    * 600mW RGB
    * 800mW RGB
    * 475mW RGV

Now the thing is that I am doing laser shows for a local Pink Floyd tribute band. I need to control lights as well as lasers, so DMX is a necessary evil. But that restricts me either to

(a) the built-in laser pattern (acceptable, but frustrating knowing I can do so much more)

or

(b) the affordable to my budget (can't afford LD2000 for sure) laser software that can do both ILDA and DMX. This effectively means Mamba 2.0, 600GBP for ILDA on 1 laser and DMX on the others. With thisr option I must control all my fixtures - moving heads, scanners and LED parcans - with laser software that isn't really designed for it.

So I'm in a bit of a bind. What'd be great is if there was something that I could design a bunch of laser scenes using ILDA, dump the show up to a bit of hardware which can be subsequently triggered by my existing DMX software. Does such a beast exist?

I've read this and your other thread and I'm sort of struggling to understand where the problem lies.
    If all of your laser projectors support DMX and ILDA, and you don't want to control them all independantly then you have 2 options.

Run all on ILDA doing the same thing (although you can invert axis for mirroring, etc)
    If you want to just run DMX control for everything (lights and lasers) but want to design your own frames, then simply buy the FB3 package with DMX in option (SE?) and then you can upload custom frames with LiveQuick to the memory card, and access and manipulate them via DMX. So although the frames are transmitted to the projectors by ILDA, it is controlled by DMX from whatever desk you use for lighting.

I am a lighting and laser guy myself, and I much prefer running 2 systems, a proper lighting desk for my lighting, and LivePro/FB3 for my lasers. I get full features that way and use the best tool for each job. I've tried using DMX for laser control and found it to be a less than satisfactory experience.

Mind if I ask why you seem to be insistent on using just one control system for everything?

Sorry, just re-read this bit..
    What'd be great is if there was something that I could design a bunch of laser scenes using ILDA, dump the show up to a bit of hardware which can be subsequently triggered by my existing DMX software. Does such a beast exist?
    Yes, FB3 with LiveQuick. Exactly what it was designed for. And at ~US$600 you'll get change out of your £600, perhaps you'll even be able to get LivePro as well for your £600.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Run all on ILDA doing the same thing (although you can invert axis for mirroring, etc)
    If you want to just run DMX control for everything (lights and lasers) but want to design your own frames, then simply buy the FB3 package with DMX in option (SE?) and then you can upload custom frames with LiveQuick to the memory card, and access and manipulate them via DMX. So although the frames are transmitted to the projectors by ILDA, it is controlled by DMX from whatever desk you use for lighting.
    That sounds exactly like what I want.

Mind if I ask why you seem to be insistent on using just one control system for everything?
    I learnt all my lighting stuff on Daslight - call it Baby Duck Syndrome if you will, but I find consoles a bit confusing. I prefer to have a single laptop running a single piece of software and not rely upon being ambidextrous to keep things synced.

Yes, FB3 with LiveQuick. Exactly what it was designed for. And at ~US$600 you'll get change out of your £600, perhaps you'll even be able to get LivePro as well for your £600.
    I'm off to that Pangolin website now... Cheers norty!

When I bought my FB3 I bought what was then the OEM board without a case which was known as the Evaluation Kit (there was also the LA Freak hobbyist package which was $50 cheaper and no license to use commercially and I think had less boards). This came with all of the USB and DMX daughterboards and Bill later supplied me with a differential board as I hadn't been aware they existed when I ordered.
    I'm not sure if they still do the eval kit, but I would suggest sending an email to Bill via the online form on the Pango site and explain what it is you want, perhaps even direct him to this thread. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you which product you require, and if it's a bit of a Frankenstein mashup of products they sell (or used to sell) I'm sure he'll make sure you get exactly what you need.

Ah ok here's the catch. If the FB3 XE (the external box) supported DMX I'd be home and dry. It doesn't (yet). It's still possible to drive with LiveQuick, but then that requires me to run 2 pieces of software at once and frankly my laptop screen is crowded as it is.

That leaves me with the FB3 SE, which requires a projector installation which I do not feel at all comfortable with doing myself. Not sure of the pricing for this either.

Back to square 1.

which requires a projector installation
    Why so?

Surely you have the option to put it wherever you want?

So what's to stop you putting it in an enclosure yourself?

If you do a search back on the forum from the last couple of years you'll see a good many of us have bought the LAFreak/Eval kit and housed them ourselves. certainly I've got at least one photo on here that keeps getting re-used by people showing the internal connections, including how to switch between USB buss power and external power.
    'Back in the day' that was the only option as Pango didn't ship them with housings.

Not sure of the pricing for this either
    Why not ask Pangolin again? But I would guess its $600 the same as the XE. Certainly, my Eval kit was $600 so no reason to suspect they've changed the pricing significantly.

Or thinking outsiode the box, why not ask Bill for an XE and a DMX daughterboard. You could then add a small 3 pin connector of some kind (mini TRS jack?) to the XE case, and add your XLR connector in/out as needed. So many options...
    Last edited by norty303; 03-26-2010 at 05:41.