Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM

I can be flexible with regard to the next FLEM. The Triangle Boat Club meeting room is always an option, though if Aaron manages to find something else that is larger, that would be cool too.

Late March through the end of April works for me. We could even go into May if we had to, but I don't want to get too close to SELEM...

Gary: It will either be in Tavares (about an hour northwest of Orlando) if we use our traditional location, or else somewhere in the greater Orlando area if Aaron manages to find a new venue. If you are thinking about a spring break trip to take your kids to see the Mouse (tm), we could probably schedule a meet around such a trip.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I can be flexible with regard to the next FLEM. The Triangle Boat Club meeting room is always an option, though if Aaron manages to find something else that is larger, that would be cool too.

Late March through the end of April works for me. We could even go into May if we had to, but I don't want to get too close to SELEM...

Gary: It will either be in Tavares (about an hour northwest of Orlando) if we use our traditional location, or else somewhere in the greater Orlando area if Aaron manages to find a new venue. If you are thinking about a spring break trip to take your kids to see the Mouse (tm), we could probably schedule a meet around such a trip.

Adam
    I talked it over with my wife and we are definitely going to try to do this. I'll get some dates that are best for me soon but I might be able to swing other weekends depending on how things work out. How many days is FLEM? 1? 2?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I talked it over with my wife and we are definitely going to try to do this. I'll get some dates that are best for me soon but I might be able to swing other weekends depending on how things work out. How many days is FLEM? 1? 2?
    Sounds good Gary! Keep us informed, and we'll try to schedule it around your trip.

Normally the hard-core guys meet at the venue on Friday afternoon to set up the sound system, the network, and a few projectors. We usually start between noon and 3 or 4 in the afternoon, depending on when people can get there. It only takes a couple hours to do, so when we're finished, we go out for dinner and drinks. Once that is done we come back to the venue for a late night "pre-FLEM Lase-off". It usually lasts until around 11 PM or so.

FLEM officially starts on Saturday morning, usually between 9 and 10 AM. Some people can't get there until later because they have to drive, and most of the morning and some of the early afternoon is lost to more setup and general kibitzing. But by 2 or 3 in the afternoon we're really rocking, and we always run late into the evening. (Sometimes as late as 2 AM.) We break everything down Saturday night when we're done. and I come back on Sunday morning with a couple helpers to sweep, take out the trash, and re-arrange the tables before I head back to Charleston.

Adam

Sounds perfect. My daughters's spring break is the first week of April so that weekend of Apr 6 would work well for me. The weekend prior to that would be my 2nd choice. I need to double check with my wife to make sure I am not missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Sounds perfect. My daughters's spring break is the first week of April so that weekend of Apr 6 would work well for me. The weekend prior to that would be my 2nd choice. I need to double check with my wife to make sure I am not missing something.
    Yep, I have confirmed the above so if FLEM happens to fall on either of those weekends you can almost certainly count me in.

Hey Gary;

I just checked, and the weekend of the 7th is definitely out if we stick with the venue in Tavares. They have the boat club house rented out that whole week for a power squadron class. However, it might be available on Saturday, March 31st (the weekend prior). I'll know for sure by Thursday.

Also, Aaron was looking into an abandoned retail outlet (I think it was a grocery store?) that might work. Hopefully he'll have some info about that shortly.

Adam

The one I checked said no due to liability issues. I have a second place that I keep forgetting to grab the number to that looks to have on site lodging. It is also just down the road from the boat club house. It is on the way from my house to Home Depots, so I am sure I will go by it again within a week. We can plan on March 31st if you want just to set a date when Gary can come to play.

The most important thing is to schedule a time/place that works best for the group. But, if it happens to be March 31 that would be super cool.

The Triangle Boat Club meeting room is available on Saturday, March 31st, so I went ahead and had them pencil us in. (We can always cancel later if we want.) I'm still checking to see if we can get into the venue on Friday afternoon (March 30th) for some pre-FLEM setup and laser fun like we normally do. Right now it appears that the power squadron class will be in the building on Friday until at least 4 PM, but we might be able to get in after they are done. Will know more about that this weekend.

Nevertheless, we have the building locked in for Saturday, March 31st. So let's start making plans for that weekend and see what we can come up with.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    The Triangle Boat Club meeting room is available on Saturday, March 31st, so I went ahead and had them pencil us in. (We can always cancel later if we want.) I'm still checking to see if we can get into the venue on Friday afternoon (March 30th) for some pre-FLEM setup and laser fun like we normally do. Right now it appears that the power squadron class will be in the building on Friday until at least 4 PM, but we might be able to get in after they are done. Will know more about that this weekend.

Nevertheless, we have the building locked in for Saturday, March 31st. So let's start making plans for that weekend and see what we can come up with.

Adam
    Sounds good. I will wait about a week to hear if there are objections and if there aren't any I will put in for vacation and make plans to be there.

By the way, later tonight I should have a new nephew in Orlando. Cigars cigars cigars. So, we'll be excited to get down there for multiple reasons!