Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modulation in BEYOND

Forgive me if this already obvious, but as in noty's comment, what about a simple grid of 4 dots. If the mirrors are moving/stopping,moving/stopping, 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 and so on. The laser needs to be on only when the mirrors are fixed. as the scan speed is adjusted up or down the modulation speed also needs to change to keep up or I would think the spots would smear or shift. Is it just that a rate of 10 kHz is so much faster than even the fastest scanners? What does 30kpps really mean as in the above example?
    Also, I would love to try an AOM. How efficient in the primary beam and speaking of manly how about up to 20W?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

We use blanked points, anchor points, guide points, sparkle points, and blanking/color shifting so things can keep up.

This is why hand drawn artwork can appear superior to a lot of computer generated autotrace crap.

What you want to do is avoid hand "pulling" of point location to smooth things out. "Pulling" of points is galvo specific. If you pull points, interchangability between users goes to hell in a handbasket.

It is rare that a single, solitary, point need illuminated.

Some times I'll add in "sparkle" points to a animation, a little change of color as something goes around a corner, or transistions between colors. That and raster are the times you need really, really, fast modulation. Otherwise it can be quite slow, on the order of 2-3 point times.

This was never a issue with AOM, or PCAOM, and galvo blanking. It only became a issue with blue and green DPSS.

Since responses are no longer the same in each color channel, it would be nice if a certain prominent manufacturer of laser software would get off their duff and add in color timing offsets on a per color channel basis.

I have a spare 19" rack frequency synthesized AO driver and a AO I can part with. PM me if interested.
    Programmable is nice for a guy like you Planters who will want some FM along with the normal AM.

Steve

Since responses are no longer the same in each color channel, it would be nice if a certain prominent manufacturer of laser software would get off their duff and add in color timing offsets on a per color channel basis.
    Since the topictitle has a certain word in capitals, it will certainly draw 'their' attention.
    While we are at it, how about blankshift in 0,1 increments ?

If you want to draw their attention, send them a link.

I don't think anyone's been on in quite some time.

Did a little experiment tonight and ran some statics such a circular array of 8 circles and with an O-scope on the green modulation and the scan speed set at 23k,46k and 92kpps. As I expected, doubling and then quadrupling the scan rate proportionally decreased the on/off intervals, but the drawing speed surprised me as to how slow it was. At 46kpps each circle was drawn in 2.75msed and the pattern of eight in 22msec or about 45 frames/sec. And this is a pretty simple pattern. No wonder my scanners flicker at 25kpps.

Marc and Taggalucci's comments are the best ones so far. The laser doesn't care, and can not be harmed from "too fast" modulation. Even the method of measuring modulation hasn't been standardized, so I am sure many companies exaggerate, or underestimate the true numbers...

If there is a problem insomuch as one color lagging the others, then one of the "color correction" boards mentioned by Marc will help.

Best regards,

William Benner

I have Rob's (Stanwax) colour correction boards fitted in both of my projectors .

The improvement they make is simply astounding, certainly if you have a mix of DPSS and diode lasers.

I really can't recommend them highly enough.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I have Rob's (Stanwax) colour correction boards fitted in both of my projectors .

The improvement they make is simply astounding, certainly if you have a mix of DPSS and diode lasers.

I really can't recommend them highly enough.

Jem
    Are there any A/B photos available to compare the results?
    This space for rent.

Sadly not, although there are probably a few generic photo's of beams I took some time ago although nothing that would correctly demonstrate the improvement.

Take for instance scanning a white line.. Prior to the boards being fitted you could easily distinguish the rise and fall times of the different lasers in the projector. This manifested itself as different colours at both the start and end of the white line. Now the boards are fitted and adjusted the line both starts and ends with a crisp white, it looks just lke a white scanned line from a whitelight gasser. It's not easy to explain, but they really do make everything so much better and crisper.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Default Color Boards

Hi All,

I've got to agree with Jem on this. I've had DZ's color board and I now have Rob's (Stanwax) board in my projector (I sold a bunch of projector stuff and the DZ board went with it.) Either one of these boards are ABSOLUTELY INDISPENSABLE additions to your projector. My projector graphics went from "meh" to NO SHIT! with the addition of these. Multicolored beginnings and endings of lines change to "nuttin but white". I can't think of ANYTHING that improves a projector more than one of these (unless you install 4-5W of OPSL...)

Get one - you'll like it a lot.

(No affiliation with either. Just VERY happy with their products.)

Tim
    Last edited by trwalters001; 02-09-2012 at 05:26.