Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with questions about DMX and ILDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfromhe View Post
    Some guy on the other forum said he used a 100' DB-25 cable he got on Amazon from his DAC to his projector and it worked fine... You might want to go that route... I don't think those SD players are DMX controllable... I have never really looked into them as they are quite expensive and have very little practical application.

If the SD card ILDA adapter has a DMX port on it you can probably control it through DMX... You won't be able to control it via the projectors DMX if that's what your asking.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the GUS USB DMX. I sure wish I knew if that Ethernet interfaced controller I found on Ebay would work.. click here My router is in my garage and it would be easy to run CAT5 out to the yard from there. Also my entire house is wired with a port in every room. I could literally set up the projectors in any large room in my house to compose scenes. The room where my computer will be is a small studio filled with music gear. Coloredmirrorball seemed a bit leary about it, but I haven't found an ethernet DMX for less yet.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by forte88 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion on the GUS USB DMX. I sure wish I knew if that Ethernet interfaced controller I found on Ebay would work.. click here My router is in my garage and it would be easy to run CAT5 out to the yard from there. Also my entire house is wired with a port in every room. I could literally set up the projectors in any large room in my house to compose scenes. The room where my computer will be is a small studio filled with music gear. Coloredmirrorball seemed a bit leary about it, but I haven't found an ethernet DMX for less yet.
    It will work undoubtly, but it appears that it doesn't work with Freestyler. Not that it matters much because Freestyler is for live shows and doesn't have a timeline so not really suited for your situation, but it says something about the product.
    I think this is the software that comes with it: http://www.artisticlicence.com/index...product_id=351
    To begin, it doesn't work on Windows 7 or a 64 bit system! It doesn't give screen shots and it doens't mention if it works with a timeline or not. But it's a free download apparently, see what it gives...

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    It will work undoubtly, but it appears that it doesn't work with Freestyler. Not that it matters much because Freestyler is for live shows and doesn't have a timeline so not really suited for your situation, but it says something about the product.
    I think this is the software that comes with it: http://www.artisticlicence.com/index...product_id=351
    To begin, it doesn't work on Windows 7 or a 64 bit system! It doesn't give screen shots and it doens't mention if it works with a timeline or not. But it's a free download apparently, see what it gives...

I agree if you want to go DMX over LAN this is an option... I can't really speak for the controller but the page seems to indicate it supports art-net (you could e-mail the seller to confirm) If it does support the art-net standard it should work with Freestyler and almost any DMX software that works with art-net.

You could do a really long XLR cable too from a USB DMX controller, it would probably be cheaper... Anyway it's your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfromhe View Post
    I agree if you want to go DMX over LAN this is an option... I can't really speak for the controller but the page seems to indicate it supports art-net (you could e-mail the seller to confirm) If it does support the art-net standard it should work with Freestyler and almost any DMX software that works with art-net.

You could do a really long XLR cable too from a USB DMX controller, it would probably be cheaper... Anyway it's your choice.
    Wow guys.. thanks for all this great information. Are you saying the controller? or the software won't work with a 64bit system? I am using Windows 7 professional 64bit. At least that is what is on the computer that I was planning on doing my programming with. My laptop is still on XP. It's an old Toshiba tablet, but still chugging away. Going XLR from USB out to the light tree is still an option, and i'm highly leaning that way because of the price of the GUS controller that was suggested.. However, I sure do like the idea that the other controller is using TCP/IP. TCP/IP will never have to deal with hardware drivers for the machine hosting the software. I wouldn't have to worry about upgraded Operating Sytems in the future not recognizing the USB device. TCP/IP can also go wireless and I could possibly configure a wireless bridge out of some old network gear I have laying around. It doesn't appear that this is using POE (power over ethernet) because that takes special switches and routers that are not mentioned in the product description. The other big question is what is the least expensive, and most intuitive timeline based software available to me? I owe you all at least a premium beer or two.
    Last edited by forte88; 02-09-2012 at 14:15.

I emailed the seller of that Ethernet DMX controller on Ebay and asked about software compatibility. He wrote back and stated that the unit comes with Freestyle Lite software. I'm assuming that is freestyler? i'm writing back to confirm. I'll let you guys know.

Some guy on the other forum said he used a 100' DB-25 cable he got on Amazon from his DAC to his projector and it worked fine
    I use ILDA runs in excess of 60 metres without a buffer and they work fine
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Freestyle Lite? Never heard of that. There is no such thing as Freestyler Lite, there is only one version of Freestyler and it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Freestyle Lite? Never heard of that. There is no such thing as Freestyler Lite, there is only one version of Freestyler and it's free.
    Yeah.. I was wondering the same thing, but I thought maybe it may be an English translation issue? He also told me that there is a link to download the software for free, and said he could provide me a "linker". lol..
    Last edited by forte88; 02-10-2012 at 08:57.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I use ILDA runs in excess of 60 metres without a buffer and they work fine
    Yes, definately the animation laser will have to run on the ILDA it looks like. Thankfully it looks like DB-25 cable is relatively inexpensive as well. I'm just trying to figure out how to sync up music from a timeline that uses DMX for the DMX star and motor projectors, and have that same music sync with my single ILDA projector. I'm probably looking at some sort of SMPTE setup I guess.

Why do you particularly want an ethernet DMX controller? DMX cable is cheap, in fact you could probably wire an XLR onto the ends of some CAT5 and it'd work in your case. For the price difference, you could buy enough DMX cable and have change I'd expect.

If you are going to buy a DMX interface, buy an Enttec, preferably the Pro.
    It may seem expensive, but you'll get a lot of that back when you come to sell it and it's supported by lots of software.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.