Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Newbie with questions about DMX and ILDA.

Dear Sir, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. This is the most thorough explanation that I have ever had, period! I completely understand how this was done now. This is exactly what I was attempting to do by trying to align two time lines using two different software at the same time. This was baffeling to me. Wow, no one esle has ever done this to the best of my knowledge.

My second response was confusing as I figured out how to control the Light-o-rama with the QuickShow using dmx but what I ultimately wanted to do was to synchronize the two different time lines.

I took a couple of days to think things over about jumping head first into such a huge, complex project. You are right. I already have the pvc structures built but the programming of such a large project could lead me to overlook safety concerns with the laser. The Clubmax is rated at 3 watts but mine checked out to be 3.3 watts. As you know, this is a lot of power, especially for someone just starting out. Somebody could easily get hurt if something is overlooked.

Six years ago might flight instructor and I nearly avoided a mid air collision. I almost did not return home to my wife and kids. After this event I became hyper-vigilant. I just do not take chances of any type whatsoever, period. Life is too short.

I will be operating a much more simple display that I can easily keep an eye on. If I cannot do this correctly than I would rather just use the Light-o-rama and save the laser for another day.

Thanks for informing me about the laser performance in colder temperatures. I was not aware of this. My main concern was condensation due to the temperature differential of keeping the laser locked up inside and then taking it out into the cold. I do not want to take any chances of damaging the laser from moisture. Do you think that with performace loss due to the cold temperature that 3.3 watts will still be enough power to suffice?

Thank you again for you advice and help. I cannot thank you enough for your advise and expertise.
    Kelly

No Problem!

The biggest problem I've had with cold temps & laser projectors is that the individual laser modules are effected differently, so while the overall laser power "could" be reduced, it could also really mess with your color balance. Only way to know for sure is to cold-soak the projector and see what happens.

Whether or not the 3 watts is "enough" depends largely on the surrounding ambient light, but more than likely that will be plenty.
    You'll definitely need to make sure that your projector is setup so there is no way for your visitors to walk in front of the beams.
    (Which could be quite challenging for a home outdoor display!)

You'll probably want to run some display tests with your projector and find out if the graphics image size you want will work with your planned outdoor placement.
    Safety concerns may dictate that your projector is placed relatively close to your display screen area, which could require that you run a fairly large scan angle on the projector.
    Graphics images at large scan angles tend to really work the scanners very hard, and can result in poor image quality, and in some cases, damage to the scanners.
    (As I found out the hard way with my original projector build...).

One more item to think about -
    Anything you do with your laser projector outside is going to open you up to public scrutiny, liability concerns, etc.
    Given the bad rep that lasers in general have received lately due to morons with high-power laser pointers, you may want to weigh the pros and cons.

All this said -
    Everything you've posted indicates to me you intend to take a very safe approach and should be fine!
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-26-2015 at 04:33.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Dear Sir, after a week of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the QuickShow would not send signals to the Light-o-rama controller I discovered that the XLR connector was not wired correctly. I found a wiring diagram at http://www.creativelightingdisplays....ds/DMX-DOC.pdf that shows that three wires were needed and I soldered them according the T-568B wiring scheme that the RJ-45 plug was using and everything is working great now. Perhaps the previous wiring was for a different brand of controller but I am not sure. I made several phone calls to Pangolin and I probably drove Aaron crazy with questions. I am grateful that he did the best he could given his limited knowledge of Light-o-rama.
    Thanks for bring the scan angle to my attention. I am running mine at the factory default of 50% which works really well for my situation. It puts the projector at about 15 feet from the front of the garage and a bit closer to the sidewalk than I would like but this is the reason I have decided to be present at all times with the emergency switch in my hands. Anytime I see something running at near 100%, it makes me nervous.
    My variance is in the works and should be arriving soon.
    As far as the idiots with the laser pointers, they should be fed to the sharks. I have almost a quarter century in the aviation industry and I have no tolerance for such stupidity. Maybe these people have never seen a plane crash. Last year I saw a plane crash in Wichita just a few seconds after happening and it was horrible. It crashed into Flight Safety at the airport. I hope I never see such a sight again.
    I hope to be able to show that a laser can be safely used in an outside display with the proper precautions taken, many people can enjoy its ability during the Christmas season. My neighbors are not too concerned as I tend be very cautious.
    I would like to thank you again for all the technical help. Like I said, after weeks of looking on the internet, you are the only person that I have found that has ever managed to have QuickShow and Light-o-rama software working together. Thanks again.

Glad to help, Kelly!

Looks like we have similar interests in other areas, as well -
    I'm a retired US Army helicopter instructor and test pilot, and FULLY agree with your view that the idiots with the laser pointers should be fed to the sharks!!

Good luck with your holiday lighting project -
    Please keep us posted!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I just received notice from the FDA Radiological Health Electronic Submission Program that my variance is in the works. I had Brian Gonzalez at XTAEGA LLC file it for me. It looks like I need to read through the CFRs pertaining to laser operation. If I can handle the FAR regulations I think I can handle the CFR regulations. Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly. Brian had a very good point. All it takes is one person and one bad mishap with a laser to mess it up for all of the other enthusiast. I am going to everything possible to make sure I am not that person. I am also attempting to teach my kids 8 and 12 that you can do almost anything if you put your mind to it and do it right. How many other crazy dads have a high powered laser incorporated into a Christmas light show? Kind of like the Grizwarlds on steroids.
    A helicopter pilot? You are a rare breed! Not many people can fly rotary wing aircraft. It takes a special person with a rare skill set to do this. On top of this being a test pilot? They are the best of the best! No wonder you have a technical background.
    After my flying lesson experience with sailplanes, I took a look at the home built helicopters here in town and decided for my safety and the safety of society to not even attempt this. The near miss with my instructor nearly wrecked my nerves.
    I would like to ask if I need to display a laser in operation warning. Every time my family and I have seen Trans-Siberian Orchestra, they have laser in operation warnings on the doors. I previous variance application that I had viewed had this at the end of the application. This is the only thing left that I can think of that I had forgotten to ask about.
    Many thanks again,
    Kelly