Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 9W RGB special red beam!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    oh god this again about subscribing, guys the intention has to come from the user itself, not forced upon someone.
    PJ, I'm not commenting on the rest of your post as I fully understand your point.

However, all that has been asked here, and mentioned to several sellers in the past, is that if you have a commercial interest in selling items here, then please contribute a little bit to the forum. If I plan on selling things on eBay for example, I'm going to have to expect to pay eBay listing fees. If I want to market to members of my local Chamber of Commerce, I know I'm going to have to pay to be a member there.
    If I'm selling on PL then, it's not unreasonable to ask that I be willing to contribute here too.

As long as it's posted in the buy and sell thread, by all means, post your products for sale but, throw a bone to this outlet here that's been provided to you, for it's upkeep. That's all.

I think that the issue is that there seems to be a never ending stream of 'wow, look at this, btw it's for sale' threads, both in for sale, and elsewhere (or seem to be).

As a hobbyist forum, I think (and it may be my interpretation that is out) the for sale section is for people to use for selling their personal gear, not for wholesale marketing by companies. (It may be just that Joost is in the enviable position of having lots and lots of lasers, that get turned over regularly)

This is born from the fact I used to admin the DIY audio equivalent of PL, and it was often clear when people were simply members to get hold of the audience they could expose their product to. And it put a lot of people's noses out of joint.

It 'feels' like I'm being marketed at, rather than sharing a forum with another member, and when it's been the Chinese/Eastern Co's, we've (collectively, in the most part, majority) had a dim view of it.

Now, if people didn't feel that way, this thread wouldn't have got to this point, so is the problem:
    a) Members think the for sale section 'privilege' is being abused, or...
    b) Members selling have got the wrong idea about how it should be used, or...
    c) Members using the forum think the for sale section should be used one way, and not another (and there is no clear policy set, so people's opinions differ)

The 'should they donate/shouldn't they' is a totally different issue for me.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think that the issue is that there seems to be a never ending stream of 'wow, look at this, btw it's for sale' threads, both in for sale, and elsewhere (or seem to be).

As a hobbyist forum, I think (and it may be my interpretation that is out) the for sale section is for people to use for selling their personal gear, not for wholesale marketing by companies. (It may be just that Joost is in the enviable position of having lots and lots of lasers, that get turned over regularly)

This is born from the fact I used to admin the DIY audio equivalent of PL, and it was often clear when people were simply members to get hold of the audience they could expose their product to. And it put a lot of people's noses out of joint.

It 'feels' like I'm being marketed at, rather than sharing a forum with another member, and when it's been the Chinese/Eastern Co's, we've (collectively, in the most part, majority) had a dim view of it.

Now, if people didn't feel that way, this thread wouldn't have got to this point, so is the problem:
    a) Members think the for sale section 'privilege' is being abused, or...
    b) Members selling have got the wrong idea about how it should be used, or...
    c) Members using the forum think the for sale section should be used one way, and not another (and there is no clear policy set, so people's opinions differ)

The 'should they donate/shouldn't they' is a totally different issue for me.
    Hit the nail right on the head mate! Well done.

Lex

Hey joost as hobbieists i would be keen to see how you got the good red beams
    That would go a long way towards contributing to the community
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

For me it's just plain cheeky. It's like inviting your mates round for a BBQ and then one of them starts doing a sales presentation for a new vacuum cleaner. It's poor etiquette.

However, in this case if someone contributes to keeping this forum up and running, it makes this more acceptable to me i.e. I can kind of excuse it even though it's annoying.

I just think it shows a lack of sensitivity to members and is just plain rude.

I Agree, theres some members in here, that continually use this forum as a store front ,
    there should be a commercial / for sale area in here, that REQUIRES , they pay the Admin. for maintaining their "store" ....
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

I take it from these posts that RGB Laser Verkoop is not a casual hobbiest selling "one-of-a-kinds" that he (or they) produce, such as listed on the originating post of this thread .. ?

Well judge for yourself...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...vBForum_Thread

Most are sales threads of varying projectors.

Well I think that if your selling here as a 'store front' and not as a hobbyist / enthusiast you should pay. ( full stop). If I want to buy commercial kit I know where to go, as do most members. I don't see the likes of Pangolin, Medialase, Kvant etc actively pushing individual products on the forum, and Pango and Medialase are both active members offering more than just support for their products. ( cheers guys )
    If they do post a product it is more often than not to everyone's benefit. Rob at Stanwax would be the exception to the rule, again only posting updates on the great kit that he develops ( and he chips in too ! )

Lex

Hey joost as hobbieists i would be keen to see how you got the good red beams
    That would go a long way towards contributing to the community
    I would go further and suggest that you post a lot of pics that show the projector internals, layout and performance. The more everyone can learn from your work the less argument you will get that the post is just self serving.