Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 635nm correction optics GB

Yes, dr lavas lenses are very hard to use and do not let you do vertical stacking.
    If you have dr lavas lenses around 0.5mm off perfect center you will start increasing you losses big time.
    So these optics have lower loss and are faster to setup and more stable to use in a professional setup.
    Any little movement or shifting of drlavas optics and you will get very high loss and poor performance.
    And his lenses are 40$ as well so how is it cheaper?
    Also with mine if you so chose to cut the lenses at your own risk as i and other members have done they drop from 40$ for one set for 40$ for 2 sets.
    And even with the cut lenses you can still do vertical stacking.
    Also You have a pm from me.

I have used both Lava's lenses and have seen the lenses Kiyoukan is proposing. The big ones are easier to use. I have even made a custom acrylic lens holder for the Lava lenses....and they are still a PITA to use !! The Lava lenses are 3x...Kiyoukan's are 6x....the 6X do a better job of taming the optic.....so....I guess we do need a better wheel.........that said....the 2mmfL lenses from Dave ARE the way to go.....We have experimented with all types of optics for almost 6mo....IMHO.....the optimal combo is Kiyoukan's C-Lenses and Daves 2mm fL aspherical collimation lens. And...vertical stacking is also the way to go.
    Beam
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 02-13-2012 at 20:32. Reason: Clarification
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by kiyoukan View Post
    Yes, dr lavas lenses are very hard to use and do not let you do vertical stacking.
    They are big enough ( just ) to stack 2 diodes

If you have dr lavas lenses around 0.5mm off perfect center you will start increasing you losses big time.
    Correct. However, if the lenses are mounted to a base with slots to allow for them to be positioned, its not so bad

And his lenses are 40$ as well so how is it cheaper?
    Weird, I remember them being $36USD

Also with mine if you so chose to cut the lenses at your own risk as i and other members have done they drop from 40$ for one set for 40$ for 2 sets.
    If you have the time to do that, then more power to you

Also You have a pm from me.
    And you have a PM from me!
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I easily stacked a pair of beams with the 2mm FL collimators and drlava lenses and can see no reason why 3 would not be possible, I would've added a diode and made the dual a triple nipple jobbie at the last LEM, if time had allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by kiyoukan;
    and more stable to use in a professional setup
    Sounding a bit like Edison there, you'll be calling everyone hobbyists next

In an RGB projector situation, a .5mm movement or shifting of a cylinder lenses will cause alignment issues that would render the power loss academic.
    If your cylinder lenses are wobbling about that much, you'll be pretty busy on the many other issues within your combining rig

For me, personally there's not enough information above to make me think these are the best choice of lens and suspect that is why the uptake is slow, I'm not saying they're not the canines conkers...
    If there were more pictures and real measurements of what can be done with these it may help get things moving, like what is the working distance from LD to cylinders when going for a 4mm or 4.5mm beam? The thing I notice is they are both +'ve so will need >70mm of space just for the telescope?

We have different requirements and acceptable compromises, but I know I can get a 4.5mm diameter beam quad together with less than 1mR divergence using drlava's lenses into a small footprint, and that is more important to me than easier alignment.
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

I think that I would prefer the larger cyl-lenses for ease of alignment and stability across the 70mm table/plate space required. I would also like to go w/ Dave's lenses. Is this what we're going for?
    So, If I'm reading all of this correctly, they are "stackable" using 1 col-lens per diode and 1 cyl lens pair for 3-4 diodes?

Yes pictures were to come today but the fiance has given me only 20min of time to come online and answer questions.
    Yes these do take up more room than the lava optics.
    Its about 62mm distance between the 2 c-lenses. plus each lens is roughly around 6.5mm think so yeah 70 ish mm for correction optics.
    However there is still one cost saving advantage while knife edging inside the correction optics is insanely hard trying to get the beam on the mirrors right being its smaller than 0.3mm at the knife point, you can use a pbs cube inside with no problems so to combine a quad you only need 1 large c lens and 2 small ones.
    Pictures of my setup will be posted and i cant build the quad as i dont have an extra 2 diodes yet or a wave plate but i will make a demo of how it is done.
    However if you guys want let me know we can change to a concave and a convex.
    The only differnce this will make is in the distance.
    As like i said knife edging in the middle of the correction optics is near impossible so the 2 convex are no longer needed.
    So we can shorten the distance and there will still be enough room to put a cube in side the correction optics to combine the beams.
    That will reduce the cost for building a quad, or make upgrading to a quad cheaper.
    Last edited by kiyoukan; 02-14-2012 at 14:01.

Posting 2 trakk.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

70mm is nothing .. under 3 inches! Can't complain about that. For a good beam from the G71s I'd go up to a foot!! (305mm)

We will need at least 50 sets to have this GB work.
    reserved for list of members
    Cylindrical lens list: 1 of 50
    CDbeam 1 (paid)
    Diode lens list: 0 of 50

Optic mount list: 15/50
    StarryEyed 5
    Shawnb 10
    .. this is going to be one long-ass GB ..
    I need 3 of Dave's 2mm lenses.. or do I need to wait for the whole thing to come thru? ..or do I order directly thru Dave ? .. no then it wouldnt be a GB .. mmm ..

updated op with new info
    New pics and info to come tonight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYG0cUCsJA
    Not the best audio and like the video title says no measurements.
    That will com once i wake up.
    Last edited by kiyoukan; 02-16-2012 at 01:27.