Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 46525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: The LSX tutorials thread!

I think you've hinted on the underlying issue here, LSX only has a precision of 1ms. So at 8kpps, you would have 8 points being drawn in the time. and at 30kpps, 30 points would be drawn in 1ms. So i don't think you will be able to incriment your point the 1/nth of a second like you are hoping. I'm still not clear on this "hide" points that you're trying to describe. I understand where you're going with persistence of vision effects. Are you trying to recreate a PWM type simulation? What is your end goal? Are you trying to eliminate flicker in a particular frame/animation? trying to determine the lowest scan speed or something? I'm not sure what this is for.

Quote Originally Posted by daderaide View Post
    I'm still not clear on this "hide" points that you're trying to describe.
    hide = intensity to 0, or make it not lit.

What is your end goal?
    Quote Originally Posted by neskusen View Post
    I want to check exactly how much a beam and point appear dimmer as the number of points drawn increases
    I don't know how else to explain this to you, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    No. LSX processes a frame then sends it to a DAC. The DAC stores it in its buffer while the previous frame is being converted to analog. During this LSX can't send a new frame. When the old frame is completely sent out, the DAC reads the frame from its buffer and tells LSX it can accept a new frame. Depending on the DAC this can cause the beam to go off or freeze the frame or what not in between loading cycles. You can't really count on it for precise timing.

You will also need to disable optimisation if you find a way to do what you want as that adds extra points to the frame.
    That settles it. I guess I could have several frames for 5K, 15K, 20K and swap between those to see if I notice any difference. Not a smooth transition but will have to make do.
    How would you suggest to position the unlit points for this and how would you disable optimization? Jut set all the extra points LSX adds to 0?

I understand that you want to check exactly how much a beam and point appear dimmer as the number of points drawn increases. but WHY? lol

You can't think of a reason why you'd want to know how bright your beam shows would appear before designing your show by knowing how many points/beams it will take to noticeably decrease the overall brightness ?

Of course I can. But since you never said that's what you were trying to do, i didn't know! That's exactly what I was asking.

I don't think you need to use LSX to figure that out. You can simply divide your laser output into the area that it's being spread over. The brightness of a show will depend on a lot of other factors that just kpps. The overall scan size will affect the brightness a lot more. The more you spread the light, the dimmer it will be. while i can see how this would seem relevant to active points, i don't really think that is the best way to go about this. The scan angle will play a lot more into this than the scan speed.

You would also need to set a standard distance from the scanner to use as a reference. the farther from the scanner you get, the more spread the beams would be and so they would be dimmer. If you're trying to model brightness vs active points, i think you are better off using scan area instead of scan speed. If you have 100 points all right next to eachother, they will scan brighter than just two points far apart that the laser scans from one point to the next. the scanners pause on points, but move quickly from one point to another. so for a beam that consists of a line with only one point at each end, the resulting brightness would be different from a line of consecutive points.

I just tried this and it's definitely true. two lines of equal length, one with 10000 points and one with just one point at each end have significantly different brightness.

daderaide, I know all that, I asked a specific thing. Like you said, the KPPS is not the only thing which affects perceived brightness, but it is one of the things and the one I'm currently experimenting with.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by daderaide View Post
    You would also need to set a standard distance from the scanner to use as a reference. the farther from the scanner you get, the more spread the beams would be and so they would be dimmer. If you're trying to model brightness vs active points, i think you are better off using scan area instead of scan speed. If you have 100 points all right next to eachother, they will scan brighter than just two points far apart that the laser scans from one point to the next. the scanners pause on points, but move quickly from one point to another. so for a beam that consists of a line with only one point at each end, the resulting brightness would be different from a line of consecutive points.

I just tried this and it's definitely true. two lines of equal length, one with 10000 points and one with just one point at each end have significantly different brightness.
    LSX's optimisation will add interpolation points when the distance between two points exceeds a minimum threshold value (which you can set with the interpolation MaxDist sliders, there are different values for different circumstances: blanked, unblanked, soft colour, ...). Keep that in mind. When the distance between points of unoptimised frames becomes too small then it will appear brighter (and more flickery) but after some value it won't matter at all.

LSX will also add blank points to keep scanners from resonating. This varies by DAC from what I understand. So for example this minimum time for the Etherdream DAC is 10ms. With your point rate at 18kpps, each frame must be at least 180 points. This will result in additional blank points being added to the end of the frame if there aren't enough manually or automatically inserted interpolation or other points in the frame.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 05-17-2016 at 14:41.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Default Toggling currently displayed frame with keyboard keys

Here's a step by step guide. It's possible but a bit convoluted.

1) Place your frames/PICs in a consecutive spot in the catalog (no empty in-between frames). It's adviced to start at a slot higher than 11. You can use Rend2Frame if you want to create animations.

2) Place animation event, set first frame and last frame

3) Set the Picture animator dropdown to Animator instead of Frame

4) Click the Animator... button

5) Set to Expression and give in this expression:

Code:
    numFrames = 5; //change this to amount of frames in animation

if(keyboard(37)*(1-equal(keyboard(37),a)), assign(pos, pos-1), 0);  //detect arrow key hits
    if(keyboard(39)*(1-equal(keyboard(39),b)), assign(pos, pos+1), 0);

a = keyboard(37);  //use a and b to only detect the moment at which the keys are pressed
    b = keyboard(39);  //instead of looping continuously

pos = min(max(pos, 0), numFrames-1);  //constrain pos to 0..numFrames-1
    result=pos/(numFrames-1)   //remap position to a value between 0 and 1
    6) This uses the left and right arrow buttons to go through the animation. If you want to change these keys, click Expr. Help and scroll down to the bottom. Find the two keys you want to use and their code number and change the keyboard() arguments to their value (keyboard(37) is left arrow, keyboard(39) is right arrow).

7) Change numFrames = # to the amount of frames # in the animation.