Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Old School — Like NEW!

Please do tell Ivan hi for me. Tell him also that Ron and I talk about him all the time.

Lasers can still be a success - but it takes innovation. Innovation doesn't necessarily mean technology, it means vision, a feel for the art form, and the ability to step out of the box. Given the space, time and of course the nonexistent money I know that if I brought all my creations to fruition, not only would I make money but would trail-blaze lasers into a whole new direction. That isn't about tooting my own horn ... it's about expressing my love and vision for the art.

Best of luck to you in carrying on the tradition! Love to visit sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Sir Frank -

Beautiful kit.. Yes, if this has trouble moving, let me know, as-well... have an installation that this might be very useful-for, at least, in-part.. could always use the LP 300 for 'studio werk / programming'...

Huge fan of the 'old-school'.. in fact, such a huge fan, my Co. has taken-over the Laserium-legacy, and is working on carrying the torch-forward.. Oi, what a yoke, tho... ..but one with satisfying-results, albeit pretty-much profitless.. 'it's an art-thang'..

I'll tell Ivan you said 'hi'...
    cheers.
    j

@ Frank - Well, come on down, Chief! ..and, if ya need any support / testing / etc for the sales-efforts.. (..or, if ya do get 're-infected' 'n decide to keep-it... ) just lemme know... 'my bench is your bench'...

ttyl..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Nice System,

I wish it had that killer prismatic color mod section the old LFI projectors had..

-M

So do I! (The rest of this post is a placeholder since the original message was too short.)

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    Nice System,

I wish it had that killer prismatic color mod section the old LFI projectors had..

-M

Hey DZ ... just FYI, with your remarkable powers of observation, did you happen to notice that the brass keys that were in the laser that worried you so much, were actually the keys from the Laser Fantasy Synth? And guess what ... they're all interchangeable .. just as I said.

Hi Frank,good luck with the sale,nice to see some 'old school' equipment.I shudder to think what the price was new! Don't worry about some re-actions to the sale,some people are just over cautious about sales/new members.Hope your staying in the industry as us 'old boys' can teach the young pups a thing or two when it comes to shows! Shame your not UK based,if you end up splitting it into parts hit me a pm
    lighting the way since 89

Quote Originally Posted by Earthnik View Post
    Hey DZ ... just FYI, with your remarkable powers of observation, did you happen to notice that the brass keys that were in the laser that worried you so much, were actually the keys from the Laser Fantasy Synth? And guess what ... they're all interchangeable .. just as I said.
    You know, I really don't know what your problem is, Frank. For someone who, "fought for standardization, ethics and the improvement of the reputation of laser displays" you are being quite the ass here. I welcomed you to the forum, showed interest in the equipment you have and shared a concern about the photographs. And for this you go balistic? Grow up. You were a nobody that joined this forum and posted the perfect old school system for best offer, including pics that raised several red flag for me, I will elaborate in a moment. Why not join the forum and introduce yourself? It takes me and a concern about the pics for you to let us know who you are? If dsli_jon or clandestiny were to post a system like this no one would have batted an eye, they are well known members of this community. But when a nobody joins and posts something like this I have no right to be a bit skeptical? Now that I know who you are I appreciate that you've joined this forum and hope that you stick around and share your experience, you might even learn a thing or two here.. But this acting like a victim needs to stop. I would have enjoyed visiting with you next month but it just looks like that isn't going to happen.

To finish this off, I will share with you the red flags I had about the pics, all this was knowing nothing about you. Now knowing who you are it makes more sense. As a nobody, you posted several pics to a site that had a fairly uniform gray/off-white backround, along with nearly no shadows. This right here stood out to me as very professional photography, not typical of just someone with some surplus gear looking to sell it off. To me, this stood out as pics that could have been lifted from a website or copied from a brosure. In fact, the only legit looking pic was the equipment rack, since it was completely different from the rest. Next, was the equipment condition, not a scratch, not an ounce of dust. Heck even my 300WC had a few scratches on it and it had 70 hours when I bought it. You did mention that you needed to dig the equipment out of the closet so this also tells me that the pics are either not of this particular equipment or are old pics of the equipment. A minor flag was within the projector, wasn't really a flag but more of a wanting to better understand. Why use what appears to be an 8 channel GM-20 driver to only drive 2 actuators? Speaking of which, benieth the projector pic you list the GM-20 as a G-120, I saw this as either an honest typo or perhaps further proof of a problem. And of course, the last thing that stuck out was the key, why take a bunch of pro pics of equipement to sell and change the key part way thru taking the pics? That didn't make sense, unless of course, these are older pics used by you in brosures, marketing material, etc. So, are these pics of the equipment from 5-10 years ago? It's not a problem if they are, but when someone joins PL and posts a bunch of pics of equipment like this for sale we are talking pretty big money. Having been burned before I like to know who I'm dealing with.. As it happens I'm going to be right up the road next month and thought this would have been a great opportunity see who you were and take a look at the equipment myself. I am familiar with every bit of it with exception to the LFI Synth. I apologize to PL that this has degenerated into a drama fest and I apologize to earthnik that maybe I didn't make my intentions more clear...
    Last edited by DZ; 02-22-2012 at 07:49.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

DZ, I dont know what is wrong with you? Whats with the war? Calm down.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    DZ, I dont know what is wrong with you? Whats with the war? Calm down.
    Steve
    I don't know what to say, Steve. Coming from you, I am shocked.... I was content with letting this go but he continued to take jabs so I layed out my full argument in the previous post.

So here we are DZ … and I’ll spell the whole thing out for you.

I went through a very painful divorce with a woman I loved more than life itself. In that process I lost half the real-estate. I no longer had a studio, a business, a dream or a hope. I liquidated a lot of my assets and gear. I kept this system because I built it by hand, over time, with love, from whenever funds were available. I machined a lot of parts myself in my garage. From day one I cared for it and made sure it never collected dents or dust your so happy to point out aren’t there. It all looks and operates today, just as it did when the components came out of their boxes.

I had no place to use it, so I packed it carefully away in a closet in my apartment in the hope that someday I might recover from my losses and revive my business. At one point it became clear that I should probably sell it. So as painful as that was, I took it out piece by piece and photographed it. Yes, I photographed it in my kitchen all by myself… am a photographer too … I don’t have just one talent. And just so that you believe me, I’ll attach a photo of the rig I set up on my kitchen table.

http://128.121.106.192/PhotoSetUp.jpg

Now I’m sorry that my initial posting here didn’t meet your personal criteria. After all, I am new here and all I did was post the items. All I wanted to do was give people the opportunity in the hope that someone would love the system as much as I have.

I didn’t know that there was an application, strip-search and a hazing process to meet your demanding standards. Rather than casting aspersions, you could have simply asked me nicely … sent me a PM in a nice tone … or anything other than impugning me in a public forum.

I’m not going to address your “suspicion” point for point. I don’t have to. I have not misrepresented anything. I stand on my integrity, and anyone who knows me will vouch for that.

Posting here was a difficult enough choice for me. The reception I have gotten pisses me off. So honestly … I’d love to tell you where to shove your snarky comments.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I don't know what to say, Steve. Coming from you, I am shocked.... I was content with letting this go but he continued to take jabs so I layed out my full argument in the previous post.