Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kvant power conversion

I'm confused, do you have another use for the transformer anyway, or could you not be bothered to check the PSUs?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I'm confused, do you have another use for the transformer anyway, or could you not be bothered to check the PSUs?
    Brad's not really what you'd call a patient person...

FYI, mine and Bill's are both say 100 to 240VAC input at 1.5 A.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

My kvant came with euro type ac cord for 220,
    A quik change of the plug to edison type worked
    For me , its auto voltage select...

But, you might want to email kvant before you do that
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Norty, if I knew how to check the PSU's I would. Aaron hit the nail on the head. I'm patient about a lot of things... just ask CTLasers, dsli_jon, polishedball, 300Evil. But... WHEN IT'S SITTING IN FRONT OF ME and I got a 6 song tease before the cheap 100 watt step up transformer crapped out, then I do get a *touch* impatient and do rash things to get something working. After all, when you spend $5000 what's another $49.95 really? Plus, until I have a chance to find out for certain if it's a switching supply, at least I can have it running. If it turns out I can just cut off the schuko plug and replace it with an edison plug, then, I'll have one more thing to list on eBay someday when this insideous hobby runs it's course and I'm living in the 10 x 20 storage bin with all my crap.

Norty, if I knew how to check the PSU's I would.
    But surely thats where the collective knowledge of the forum comes in, no?
    Pretty much every caged type switch mode PSU I've seen has a sticker on the side, which details input voltage and output voltage and amperage. Sometimes this is on the side that is fixed down, which is a pain to get at, but often not.
    If it's manually switched, there's often a sticker showing which way the switch needs to go.
    I guess my point is, you are going to wait for 5-7 days, when you could spend 30 mins investigating what you have, and perhaps be up and running today/tomorrow, AND save some cash.

I guess it just struck me funny that the way the thread was going, you were going to try a diff cable, and explore a bit more - and then you ordered the transformer.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I have not. Well... correction, I took off the back panel but was in a hurry and didn't have time to really explore. I would hope they'd be auto switching and I think that's what Marc was thinking too but, I'm not certain. If I fashioned a new cord and plugged it into 120v, it shouldn't hurt it to find out. I know Jim's projector (smogthemog) I bought last year was auto switching so it worked right out of the flight case with a US cord.
    It's worth poking around in there, not all switching power supplies are automatic. Many power supplies that can do 110/220 have a physical switch located inside of the protective cage. You may need to take the PSU's out of the projector and poke around.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    But surely thats where the collective knowledge of the forum comes in, no?
    I guess it just struck me funny that the way the thread was going, you were going to try a diff cable, and explore a bit more - and then you ordered the transformer.
    Guilty as charged. I think perhaps massivesound's reply got me into the mindset of needing a transformer and I went with it. There is a big Traco supply and probably some others in there but, as I said, I got the cover off the back and just glanced about a little. I know some have a visible switch but, this was looking more like a tear down of the projector in order to determine anything and, it's a bit intimidating. Yes, realistically I probably should have held off a little longer before ordering it but, if it turns out it's NOT a switching supply and other parts need to be swapped out, I would have already taken the steps necessary to get a transformer and, it would be a less expensive solution.

Wow... I sound like an addict. Rationalization. Guess I really do have it bad.

O.k..... I've slayed the dragon and have a pile 'o Kvant parts laying all over my desk. After pushing and prying, I can see that what I assume is the main power supply is a Traco TXL-100-12S. Yes, the label was on the side facing the bottom of the case. I still think it's held with some glue but, I can wedge it out far enough to look in with a flashlight and, it looks to be 100-240v AC. Is that the only one I need to be concerned with identifying?

I think the Traco in mine is only for the Blue and Red driver... I don't think there is a main power supply as there I have seperate ones for the scanners, green, and red/blue.

Shouldn't you be able to just plug in a 110 power cable and try it out without hurting anything?

Yes, that is my thought although Norty cautioned that I check first. I sent an e-mail to Kvant last night to ask - just waiting on a reply. The only drawback is the connector on the PJ for power is a Neutrik and, I need to source one in order to make a cord. I don't want to just cut off the schuko connector and wire on an edison plug to test it.

There are three supplies that I can see with the Traco being the largest and most accessable. One has a lable that can't be seen without getting a driver out of the way and I'll end up with washers floating around in there if I go too much further.