Thread: wav2ilda.py

Default wav2ilda.py

I've hacked together a little tool to convert ADAT WAV rips to ILDA files for more convenient playback.

It's dead simple. As input, it expects an 8-channel WAV file with the following channel assignments:
    - 1: X (-max to +max)
    - 2: Y (-max to +max)
    - 3: R (0 to +max)
    - 4: G (0 to +max)
    - 5: B (0 to +max)
    - 6: (ignored)
    - 7: (ignored - usually audio left)
    - 8: (ignored - usually audio right)

The output is a standard ILDA format 5 file. WAV files don't have frame boundaries, of course, and the show on an ADAT may not have "frames" at all if, say, it's coming straight from an abstract generator. So, wav2ilda.py just chops up the input into frames sized such that the output will always be 30 fps. On output devices that play continuously with no dead time, the result will look just the same as if it were coming from an ADAT deck.

There are options to invert the X axis, invert the Y axis, invert the color modulation, and swap the X and Y axes, if necessary.

Right now, the tool doesn't do any resampling - put in a 48kHz WAV file, get a 48kpps ILDA out - nor does it save off the audio channels. However, free software like Audacity can do both of these. The workflow would be something like:
    - Open original WAV; delete all channels except 7 and 8; encode as MP3; save as show.mp3
    - Open original WAV; resample to 30kHz; save as show-30k.wav
    - Run wav2ilda.py on show-30k.wav to produce show-30k.wav.ild

Also, right now, this is command-line only. It's written in Python, so you won't need anything else to run it on a Mac or Linux box; on Windows, you may need to install Python first.

At some point I'll be adding a proper GUI and the ability to resample and separate out the audio channels, but I figured I'd get this out there now. It's open source, licensed under the GPL - have fun!

http://kremvax.su/j4cbo/wav2ilda.py

VERY interesting concept. Imma have to search around for some files to try this out. Thank you for sharing!
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin