Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    OK. But do those DACs look like a modular sound device? Can I use the built in audio streaming stuff to push waves out?
    they simply require you to initialize with a 16 bit value, then you stream binary data which is directly converted... it requires programming, but if you want to squeeze anything out of a raspberry pi, you have no choice anyway, as most of the GUI will freeze it as soon as you open a window...

this is some live experience from an attempt to use an existing linux distribution with it...

you would have to develop something yourself from a lightweight and optimized distro, avoiding graphical mode... but you can easily read data from ethernet, decode bit streams, and send them to the DACs if you know C++ and linux

Well, I know C & C++ pretty well and I also know a lot about the Linux Frame buffer, so I can render directly to the video display RAM as long as the kernel is built to provide it.

As a matter of fact, that is exactly where LaserBoy started.... at the console, directly rendering to the frame buffer.

The first version of LaserBoy ran on a Linux machine and you shelled into it with ssh. The Linux machine displayed the vector art and did all the work rendering waves and such. It also had the sound device in it and played the waves.

The only thing SDL does is let me read the keyboard and render to the video on all modern operating systems.

The cool thing about SDL (in Linux) is that it knows how to connect to either the frame buffer in console mode or a window if Xfree86 is running!

James.
    Last edited by james; 03-20-2013 at 13:39.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

So is any of this any good for a standalone ilda frame playback using just an sd card ?
    "its called character briggs..."

A 700Mhz CPU, 512MB RAM and a hard drive should be enough to run LaserBoy at the command prompt.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

and using GPIO as analog/galvo output?

I still say a USB 7.1 sound card DAC should be WAY easier and ready made!

There should already be software that can stream 6 or 8 chanel waves to a sound device!

There should also be an easy way to connect to the sound card DAC for live streaming.

The nice thing about this is that it doesn't need to be code that is platform independent. It just needs to work on the Pi!

Back in the day, when LaserBoy was a Linux only thing, I wrote an app to play waves and do real-time sample shifting to correct the time difference between the scanners and the color modulation.
    Last edited by james; 03-20-2013 at 14:40.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I only missed the PowerBall drawing by 6 numbers!

DAMN!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Well I just got a nice package deal from raspberry-pi-buy.com, a place near Detroit.

I'll let everyone know how it goes!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I'd really like to have one of those but don't have the time for it right now. I'd like to make some nice little media center/player to hook to my TV.

Well, you'll have to deal with the fact that it's Linux, Gary!

I got a 32GB mem card with the recommended Raspbian “wheezy” OS for development and a 16GB card with Raspbmc XBMC to play with Internet TV stuff.

I also got a powered USB hub that powers the Pi, a WiFi adapter, an HDMI cable, HDMI to digital video adapter and a nice green plastic case.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials